TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Nitro-methane........  (Read 3474 times)

Offline rsss396

Nitro-methane........
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:01:58 PM »
Nitro-methane…..everybody knows it's there, but few, it
seems, really know much about it.

http://www.cornwallaeromodellers.ca/PDF_Files/Nitromethane.pdf
Anyone looking for a great builder I highly recommend the following.
For CP products dealers I would recommend:
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline Kyle

Nitro-methane........
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:11:07 PM »
Anyone ever tried to run nitro of and other power adder besides nos?

Offline Jerry Hall

Nitro-methane........
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 10:53:03 AM »
A new exhaust system will need to be developed to be able to use nitromethane effectively.  Nitromethane has different gas densities and exhaust temperatures.

Nitromethane will require a different timing curve and combustion chamber shape.  Nitromethane will require different port timings to work optimally.  

In summary:  Decide what percentage of nitromethane you are going to use and then develop the whole engine to run that mixture.

Offline rsss396

Nitro-methane........
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »
Quote from: Jerry Hall;19695
A new exhaust system will need to be developed to be able to use nitromethane effectively.  Nitromethane has different gas densities and exhaust temperatures.

Nitromethane will require a different timing curve and combustion chamber shape.  Nitromethane will require different port timings to work optimally.  

In summary:  Decide what percentage of nitromethane you are going to use and then develop the whole engine to run that mixture.

Jerry, I have never ran nitromethane but have wondered if it was better optimized when run slightly lower RPM's, which I believe is much how Nitrous is ran.

So what would happen if you had a methanol motor tuned for max power but on the slightly leaner side of that tune and  then added a extra solenoid operated powervalve opening at WOT that would dump 90% nitromethane into the air stream.

This should make the fuel ratio richer but since you can run nitro at 1.3 to 1 this may not be to far out of line.

Air Fuel ratio vs. Resulting Max BTU released
·
Nitromethane: o 1.3:1 46,000 BTU
·
Methanol: o 5:1 23,000 BTU
·
Gasoline: o 12:1 18,400 BTU

obviously I would adjust timing which I believe would be retarded a few degrees, and since only 1 powerjet is dumping nitromethane along with 3 other power jets that dump straight methanol the total amount of nitromethane in the airstream would be much less than the 90% nitro.

Anyone looking for a great builder I highly recommend the following.
For CP products dealers I would recommend:
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline Kyle

Nitro-methane........
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:53:20 PM »
only maybe 10%

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38