TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Tribute to Calvin Pollet the cylinder sculpture  (Read 15813 times)

Offline rsss396

Tribute to Calvin Pollet the cylinder sculpture
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:31:19 AM »
RIP Calvin, and thank you for helping keep the 2 stroke alive!

here is Introduction from another forum written by Calvin describing himself, while we normally do not make public topics from this forum I feel Calvin would not have been offended by sharing this about him since many people know very little about the man that casted just about every aftermarket cylinder offered for the TRX from the Sphynx,Puma,and Sabertooth to even the PSI and Pro-X cylinders he was hired to cast. along with many other cylinders  for other models and brands including Honda, Yamaha, ArcticCat, SkiDoo and Polaris

written by Calvin Pollet:

My interest for two-strokes can be traced back to a Lawn-Boy lawn mower….and the simplicity of the first one I “tore apart”. My Dad was somewhat a “junkie”, as his mechanical ability and his love of a “good trade” kept us in projects to work on in my early years. By the time I was 14, I had been riding 2 strokes for 3 years, and was now old enough to ride my TC90 Suzuki to work in a Gas station every evening after school….until Friday night when I would get home from work, remove the lights, remove the stock pipe and replace it with the GYT KIT(pronounced get-kit) expansion chamber that I had bought and installed…..re-jet, change gearing and tires, and I was ready for either the flat track/TT races on Saturday night, or the Moto-cross races on Sunday, then all had to be switched back to be able to get to work on Monday evening.

By the time I turned 16, I had been sponsored by all 4 area motorcycle shops, and was now working in the local Hodaka shop, my first exposure to “this is why we change the ports the way we do”….prior to that it had been “what happens if we change the ports like this?”  I loved to race, but the “building” of the bikes began to give me more challenges and enjoyment, and even when I would win an event….my mind turned to how to make the bike faster rather than how to improve my riding.  My exposure to the “Gary Bailey Moto-Cross School”…..the “Trans-Am Series”, the “Inter-Am Series” in Tulsa Oklahoma, which allowed me to witness Joel Robert….Roger Decoster….Silvian Goebears….and John Desoto for Team Suzuki, (spelling forgiveness on all of them please)…..and yet, the strongest memory that I still have about that event, was seeing the mechanics in the pits changing the Ti pipes between motos. They would throw the broken pipes into a “pile” because each had a break in it….or the pipe was completely broken in two separate pieces after each ride.

My sponsored bikes ranged from many different sizes of all 4 of the big Japanese brands, they included, Maico, Montesa, Husky, CZ, DKW, Penton, (even a racing Harley or two in there…..lol), a US Distributor Benelli Sponsorship, and still, seeing and feeling the results of “working on them” was where I got the most enjoyment.

During school, I took an interest in machine shop training, (since I had been using the mills and lathes in the bike shops for a few years already), and if I were to say I had a “trade” to fall back on, it would be “a machinist”. I had worked as a General Machinist, a Tool maker, a CNC Programmer, a CNC Maintenance Man, and a Machine Shop Foreman, before I began my endeavor to “build my own cylinders”………..(if I only would have known…..being a Foundry-man was not even in my Top 100 choices of things to do when I “grew-up”…….lol)

I started a company to build cylinders for a type of racing called “Modified Midgets”….basically, a small single or twin cylinder open wheeled sprint car, I called the company Central American Modified Midget Engines and Extras….(CAMMEX). Even though the TZ250 twins were the “engine of choice” I starting by building a 250cc single. Using the YZ250 Yamaha lower end as a starting point, later I began using the Honda TRX250R based engines, as the Three Wheeler was getting Factory support and had grown into a huge potential market……(As I mentioned above about being my own worst enemy…when we won our first National Event against the factory teams….my having the words “Made in America” printed  in Japanese print in the corner of our center-page spread of a national magazine “may” not have been the best thing to do…..but it “felt” right at the time…..lol)

I guess for anyone who wishes to know more about me, the following link is to the “About us” section of my business’ website ….. http://cpindinc.com/pub/aboutus ….That write-up shows a little about how and why I have built an Aluminum Foundry for the sole purpose of building two-stroke cylinders. As an engine builder, I would say I may be somewhere around a “5” or a “6” out of ten, but I feel my background has enabled me to built a very small production facility which is capable of building some of the best two-stroke cylinder castings in the world…..now if I could just figure out how to make it profitable!                                        

From Calvins website:
Company Overview
 CP Industries has and will continue to be a company capable of taking a project from concept to completion. With our 3D modeling software packages and dedicated CAD engineers, the design and development of your parts is quick and accurate. These CAD designs are then used in the rapid prototyping and pattern area of our plant to quickly deliver a pattern that is up to your exacting specifications. After the patterns are completed the parts are cast and machined in-house to help control the quality of the parts while keeping the price competitive.  CP Industries in-house facilities include, design and development, rapid prototyping, patterns, core shop, foundry, and machine shop. It is by combining all of these areas of production that we are able to keep the quality high, the price reasonable, and see your project through from Concept to Completion.CEO Message
  Very intricate castings.These three words do more than describe what we manufacture at CPI, they better define our company’s reason for being.  Anyone who has closely inspected a 2-stroke cylinder or a 4-stroke head can see what our plant was designed to produce. We have built our complete business out of necessity. When we first began to develop our designs for high performance 2-stroke cylinders we discovered our need for a pattern shop which had the ability to catch a potential problem before the tooling was in production on the plant floor. After several failed attempts to get what we wanted as a final product, we began at the start of the process, by starting our own pattern shop. This was the main reason for a High Performance Design & Development Company to make the leap into the Pattern Making Industry in 1981.
   We later found that simply because we could invision a process, and build the patterns to produce it, did not mean that other core shops, foundries, and machine shops could produce our visions.  We have now grown into a plant with Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) and 3D modeling, capable of going from a concept or sample part to our CNC or conventional Pattern Department. Our in house Core Department was built for hard to get cores that we couldn’t get at other plants, (that’s why we started our own core shop, remember we are a Performance Shop!)  Our Core Department presently builds cores for other foundries ranging from Tulsa, OK to the Detroit, Michigan area.  We know what it is like to have a part that you can’t get built locally because we’ve been there, that’s why we ship cores to Michigan and they turn around to build parts that ship to England, because they can’t have them built locally. After opening our own Pattern and Core Shops while still using other foundries, we discovered that the foundry was the area that  now presented the problem. So like the true High Performance Shop that we are, we built our own foundry.
   So here we are in a new century, our products, which have won National Championship Events and Titles, are being used in a range of vehicles from motorcycles to sprint cars, from remote controlled airplanes to snowmobiles, from motorized skateboards to All Terrain Vehicles.  Remember we are a High Performance Shop at heart, we just, unfortunately,  don’t have time to go race anymore.  CPI doesn’t sell 2-stroke cylinders to the public now, even though we still build them, we don’t sell 4 valve heads for your small block Chevy, but we do build these parts for our customers and I am sure they would love to ship them right out.
   Some of our customers have asked us to include links to their own web pages, others have requested that we do not tell anyone that we are producing their parts, since their competition may get the idea that we may be able to complete the project that they have been having trouble with. In other words if the competition doesn’t use us now, don’t  give them any ideas.
   We do still build high performance castings, but we are now a Foundry which you can call on from “Concept to Completion” for non performance castings as well. No matter how hard we fight it, we have grown into an Aluminum Foundry for hard to get castings, and the high performance market does not have a lock on hard to build castings.
   If your local aluminum foundry can do your job they are your best course of  action. If, however you have been trying without success to get difficult castings made, or your scrap rates have gotten too high, then we may be the company you are looking for. If you have any questions about castings or products please feel free to contact me. I will be more than happy to hear from you.

• Sincerely,
Calvin Pollet
President/CEO CP Industries Inc.cpollet@cpindinc.com
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:30:17 PM by rsss396 »
Anyone looking for a great builder I highly recommend the following.
For CP products dealers I would recommend:
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline Morse250r

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »
Great loss can't thank him enough for the stuff he did for the sport
RIP Calvin
Packard built puma "bad investment"
88 rb racing duner
Trx 70\'s
Atc 125

Offline etccb

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »
RIP Calvin
Thank you for your contributions to the sport/hobby that we all love.

Offline Rupp250

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 10:37:52 AM »
Wow, Thanks to Calvin and to everyone at CPI. My thoughts go out to the family.
DRAG- Puma in a Ziggy Chassis
TRAIL -86  250R ported stock cylinder
DUNER -86 250R  Flinstone

Offline rk88r

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »
Rip Calvin
\'99 Laeger narrow, cr link, +3+1 protrax, Peps, with a LED 363
\'88 265 pv peps
One other \'88

Offline Wes350x

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 02:57:27 PM »
Awesome read, Thanks. RIP Calvin
1988 250R

Offline Pumashine

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 03:02:25 PM »
Building stuff for us cause he wanted to not because he had to. Made the best Honda cylinders money can buy. Didn't do it for profit, did it for the sport. People like Calvin make me want to make perfect parts for our 250r's. Quality is not a goal, it is just a standard. Thankyou Calvin for all your years of hard work. Every time I hop on the bike you are in my thoughts. Tony
Puma 408, Puma 431,  Pilot 412, Puma 431, Mini-tooth 486 Trx450r
89mm  Mini tooth Shearer in frame pipe chromed! With Cascade  Q

Offline havinnoj

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
He was a great guy and transformed the sport in a major way.  Here's a couple pics from his first trip to Glamis about 10 years ago I believe.

Calvin and Dan Hull (A&S Racing)

Calvin giving the "go" at Olds

Offline jcs003

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 03:47:18 PM »
never heard of this man but he is truly inspiring.

requiescat in pace.

john

Offline rsss396

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
Calvin's obituary:   http://dwbfh.com/obi.../calvin-pollet/

[h=1]Calvin Pollet[/h]Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Coffeyville -
Calvin Dean Pollet, 57, of rural South Coffeyville, OK, passed away Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at his home.
He was born on September 30, 1956, at Coffeyville to Glen and Opal (Smith) Pollet.  Calvin grew up and attended grade school in South Coffeyville, attended Lenapah High School, and graduated from Wann High School.
On December 31, 1977, he married Elaine Avery.  Following their marriage they made their home in rural South Coffeyville where they raised their three sons.
Calvin operated his own business manufacturing high performance racing parts, and was also an accomplished woodworker.  He played in the Dry Gulch Band for many years and loved performing his music.  He enjoyed all types of racing, and raced motocross cycles when he was young.  But above all he loved spending time with his family.
Survivors include his wife, Elaine of the home; three sons, Brandon Pollet and wife Embrey of Owasso, OK, Cody Pollet and wife Whitley of Frisco, TX, and Lucas Pollet and wife Rebecca of Chapel Hill, NC; one brother, Carl Pollet and wife Patty of South Coffeyville; one sister, Kim Smith of Springdale, AR; and two grandchildren, Gabriel Pollet and Eleanor Pollet.
He was preceded in death by his parents; and one sister, Reta Wilson.
A Rosary Vigil service will be at 5:00 p.m. Sunday, January 12, 2014 at Holy Name Catholic Church.
Services celebrating Calvin’s life will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday, January 13, 2014 at Emmanuel Chapel in South Coffeyville, OK.  Burial will be in the Robbins Cemetery west of Coffeyville.
Friends may call on Sunday from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the David W. Barnes Funeral Home in Coffeyville.  They may also call following the Rosary from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
The family suggests memorials to the Jerry Marquette Radiation Oncology Center at Coffeyville Regional Medical Center, or Holy Name Catholic School; contributions may be left with the funeral home or mailed c/o David W. Barnes Funeral Home, 306 North Cline Road, Coffeyville, KS 67337.
Anyone looking for a great builder I highly recommend the following.
For CP products dealers I would recommend:
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline Sky

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:15:41 AM »
Legends live on. RIP Sir. Example of a little more giving than taking. We could all learn from that.

Offline Tbone07

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 12:30:43 PM »
RIP Calvin.
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline ledperformance

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »
I miss Calvin. We spent hours talking about 2 stroke engine technology. Calvin was so awesome to bounce idea's off of. Because of his exposure to many kinds of engine builds his prospective  was priceless. Calvin understood engines like no other. He always knew exactly what I was talking about. It breaks my heart knowing I can never again call Calvin and talk to him about engines, or life in general. Calvin was a true friend and he will be missed.
I don't know anyone like Calvin. Like everyone who knew him, I was not ready to give him up.

Offline F-Red

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 03:08:35 PM »
Good friends lost early, are always hard to accept. Arlan, may you find peace with time. Calvin won't be replaced.
Long Live our memories.
Want To See My Wieners?

Offline Rupp250

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 06:57:41 PM »
Any word on the foundry or what will happen with CPI. I had heard that CPI was sold a while ago when Calvin first started to get sick. Is this true?
DRAG- Puma in a Ziggy Chassis
TRAIL -86  250R ported stock cylinder
DUNER -86 250R  Flinstone

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38