TRX250r.org

Author Topic: youth quads opinions  (Read 11517 times)

Offline diggster69

youth quads opinions
« on: September 11, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »
To start out I would like to say hello to everyone. My son has a raptor 90 and I was wanting to know opinions about a trx90 modified with 300ex a arms and possibly a cr80/85 engine would be a good next atv. I guess I would like to hear if anybody has experience with this sort of quad and if they have any suggestions toward my idea. thanks

Offline etccb

youth quads opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 06:27:48 PM »
You should research for information on that type of project here.

http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?48-Mini-ATV-90cc-Under-ATV-Sub-Forum

Lots of good minidad information and knowledge.

Offline trx250scar

youth quads opinions
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:31:39 PM »
Something to ponder.......I was going to this exact mod with my sons trx90. The amount of Money it would take to properly build with the amount of time He would have rode the machine didn't seem worth it. I ended up with a raptor 250. Great  transition machine. Lots more wheel travel than the 90(Maybe similar with the 300ex conversion ) and a smooth power curve compared to a cr85. Also resale on a raptor is higher than that of a modified 90 cause it will limit the Buyer market.  Think I would have wanted the cr85 trx90 ore than my kid. Haha

Offline mennis1971

youth quads opinions
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »
I'd guess that A LOT depends on his age, size and skill level. By the time you bought a used trx 90, cr85 engine and all that other stuff, plus rebuilt it all(like motor, bushings, bearings etc..) you prob wouldn't be to far off from say a DRR or some other purpose built quad, which would prob have a higher resale value when the time comes for him to step up again. It would prob take some time to find good deals on that stuff to lower the cost some, plus IDK how your fab and motor skills are(not being rude, just that IDK).

I've been thinking abt getting my little girl a quad too for some dune trips. The only thing that seems like it would get around decent at LS would prob be a lt80 with some mods of course. She's abt to turn 6 btw and already has a crf50, which she is learning pretty quickly on. Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone know how well these get around in the dunes? I just don't see a 4 poke that's 90cc having any power to climb or do much of anything, plus the suspension looks chitty on all these machines IMO, but I could be wrong. Just not looking for another money pit that she'll(or any kid) will prob outgrow fairly quickly.

Offline mennis1971

youth quads opinions
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »
Just checked out some cobra and drr prices. OUCH for a cobra, but they sure have some nice parts you can get. MONEY PIT tho.

Offline trx250scar

youth quads opinions
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:04:44 PM »
I have owned both lt80 and trx90. Both have bad Suspension. Both r turds. However out of the two the Honda seemed better all around. Also we trail rode them.  No  dunes.

Offline mennis1971

youth quads opinions
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 08:13:16 PM »
I don't doubt the turd part! I don't think she's ready for dunes anyways. I don't want someone running her over anyways. I'm thinking we'll just ride fields and trails on dirtbikes together. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Offline GO OVRIT

youth quads opinions
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »
You canfind the 300ex stuff pretty cheap.  I sold a guy the arms, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, brake lines,  and shocks for 100 bucks to put on his kids 90.  It seemed to be a really good upgrade.

Offline F-Red

youth quads opinions
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »
Welcome to the site! Honda 90's are bullet proof. Four kids, rode two 90's for years. Then graduated right to the 300EX! Honda for life!
Want To See My Wieners?

Offline C-Leigh Racing

youth quads opinions
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 01:16:59 PM »
You could probably find a used shifter 90 mod quad at a good price right now. Race seasons are winding down or done so folks are selling & moving their kids up a notch.
One thing you'll find out though, if your going to race it, you'll spend as much on that small quad as the riders do on the 450s.
DRRs, shocks, engine mods, clutch for every track, belt just about every race. Cobras just about the same to spend.
Once the rider gets up to size, that Apex 250 is the hot ticket, but that engine is like a banshee light switch twin either on or off.
There was at one time some 150cc stick built quads around, Hetrick Racing started those up & I know somebody has one that might be for sale.
Anyways, start putting back some money if your going to race a belt drive, cause them parts is high, every weekend.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing, in memory of Caraleigh Pritchard
Race team for 2015
Chuckie Creech #25 TRX450R, Pro, Pro Am, Pro Am Unlimited
Andrea Creech # 25 TRX450R, Womens (National ATVA EDT)
Andrea Creech #33 TRX350R, Womens (local EDT)

If it aint got a hot weed eater 2 stroke engine, all its good for is a pit bike

Online Jerry Hall

youth quads opinions
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »
Quote from: C-Leigh Racing;42645
You could probably find a used shifter 90 mod quad at a good price right now. Race seasons are winding down or done so folks are selling & moving their kids up a notch.
One thing you'll find out though, if your going to race it, you'll spend as much on that small quad as the riders do on the 450s.
DRRs, shocks, engine mods, clutch for every track, belt just about every race. Cobras just about the same to spend.
Once the rider gets up to size, that Apex 250 is the hot ticket, but that engine is like a banshee light switch twin either on or off.
There was at one time some 150cc stick built quads around, Hetrick Racing started those up & I know somebody has one that might be for sale.
Anyways, start putting back some money if your going to race a belt drive, cause them parts is high, every weekend.
Neil

and..adding a few more facts to what Neil said above........

I think the little auto quads are more complicated because of the CVT type transmission/clutch.  I have more difficulty handing a completely built and tuned ready to race  auto quad package to a father than handing a 250 or 450 quad to a father.  The 250/450 will usually run many motos before the package starts to loose it's edge where the little auto quads loose there edge almost instantly mainly because of the inconsistency of the CVT clutch.  

Most fathers do not seem to have the aptitude to understand how the CVT transmission works.  The CVT clutch requires this understanding to make moto by moto adjustments to keep the clutch working as the belts ware, secondary spring tension changes and the sheeves ware each moto.

If we build a package using the 2-Fast cylinder kits the extra power dishes out a lot more punishment to the CVT and requires even more moto by moto maintence and adjustment to keep it optimum.

Offline Hawaiiysr

youth quads opinions
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 10:59:23 PM »
Don't you got a hopped up LT80 for sale?

Online Jerry Hall

youth quads opinions
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »
Quote from: Hawaiiysr;42675
Don't you got a hopped up LT80 for sale?

I do not think that the LT80's handling is competitive with the Apex or DDR and the LT 80 also has the CVT transmission.  I have had a lot of these little auto quads in my shop that have had good engine packages but are not competitive because the person taking care of the quads do not have the necessary understanding of CVT's.  The CTV's may have been set correctly but the fathers do not know how to keep the clutch working optimally once they pick it up from the engine builders and or clutch man's shop

At the Quad level of racing and even on some of the lower levels of snowmobile racing, my experience has been that the "clutch" man is usually more important than the engine builder.

Offline dirtyd

youth quads opinions
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 11:00:14 AM »
here's a nice hybrid thats ready to go http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/snw/4635662517.html
87 trx250r- ESR 310 (trx9 porting) trx5 pipe, 38mm A/S, +2 a-arms. works triple rates.
86 trx250r- basically stock (SOLD)
05 Predator 500- some bolt on stuff
87 Tecate4- new project

Offline KsSandduner

youth quads opinions
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 10:46:51 AM »
I started my LS duning career on an LT80. It had a DG pipe, the bigger carb, and i ran Skat Trak Gliders. It actually got around pretty good. The bigger hills were actually a challenge! Fast forward 20+ years. I recently bought an LT80 for my 7 year old daughter. The engine ended up needing fully rebuilt, so i had the head milled 30 thousand at the same time. She only weighs 50lbs, and it has plenty of power for her!! The suspension really does suck though! I had forgot how bad they really were! My nephews have 80cc fourstrokes, and they would much rather ride my daughters two-stroke! Did i mention the suspension sux on an LT80! I would love to find one of those JP Outlaw mini chassis, but i think it would be a major money pit!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38