TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Robl Engineering Prototype Intake Completed  (Read 64560 times)

Offline Saber569r

Robl Engineering Prototype Intake Completed
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 11:06:12 PM »
Quote from: troybilt;56294
Seemed like a rhetorical question and more of an accusation.  If you really looked at the pics the differences in shape are quit obvious.  I get the same crap on the 450r forums.   Secondly, the pics I just posted are of a 3d printed intake that is strictly for prototype and testing purposes.  I had a 1200 bill from a mistake of running my 450 a little too long with a 3d printed intake.  Dyno testing and flow bench testing only.  Lastly, my ideas for a new intake for the R date back to 2010, when I started build Elsinore.  It seemed like using the same intake for a 249cc motor with a 496, was probably not s good idea.  The rest is history.[/QUOTE

All I asked is how it compares to other intakes. But if it makes u happy to freak out on someone u don't know go for it bro.  God bless

Offline phil_koliss

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 02:32:26 AM »
Is there a release date or prototypes made? Love the style. Have a FCI on my YFZ and it woke it up with dasa exhaust so I only imagine yours with smooth lines and better finish(no rough edges, casting/molding flash). Keep it up Troy

Offline troybilt

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 06:47:14 AM »
No release date yet per'se, I need to get on the testing dyno and other testing also need to finish designing the modular airbox the one pictured is for the 450r.  If all goes well, and I should have a released version this fall.  I could have Carbon fiber much sooner, but I'm looking into buying my own thermoforming equipment so I can make these in a High Density Polyethylene as well.  

Yes the FCI on the YFZR does make a nice improvement, I've been measuring nearly 2hp over a prodesign setup.  I have dyno comparisons on my yfzr with the FCI and about 7 different intakes I've designed.  I have one that matches the FCI, but I think there is more room to go, we'll see anyway.  Here is the best of each of those.  All tests were done on the same day, same bike, same filter, same fuel, etc...  Within 30-40 minutes of each other, I have over 150 runs on my yfz450r already.  

Here is some pics of my dyno room when I was still installing all of the stuff:

Elsinore 496cc Saber

Offline troybilt

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 07:02:52 AM »
Quote from: Saber569r;56297

All I asked is how it compares to other intakes. But if it makes u happy to freak out on someone u don't know go for it bro.  God bless

No one is freaking out.  I've been an R fanatic for the better part of of 20 years, I haven't seen an FCI installed on a 250R ever, I haven't seen anything other than the thread that was posted above.  It doesn't appear like it would fit all that well on the stock framed bikes.  Might work on the CR500 links and those aftermarket frames with the shock offset to the right and more room for the intake.  Mine is largely designed after the Stock 86 boot so it fits like stock, but I added a few touches to improve performance as well, like larger inlet opening for 450r filters.  Theirs looks like the one they sell for the 06+ trx450r's, but has an angled cut on the end where it mates to the carb, if that is truely the pic of one.  If you look there is a rib on theirs on the carb side... that "usually" butts right up to the carbs on 450r's, but they left a little extra material and changed the cut angle so it could mate to an R carb... just a guess.
Elsinore 496cc Saber

Offline jcs003

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2015, 07:26:19 AM »
Looks like dirtwheels is needing to do a 450r intake shootout so they can crown Robl engineering the best intake.  it would be good for business troy.  best of luck with your business.

john

Offline rablack21

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2015, 07:56:58 AM »
I like where your heads at, Troy. I think you're gonna have a good upgrade to an old and outdated piece of equipment. Can't wait to get one.

Offline Tbone07

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2015, 08:49:34 AM »
Quote from: jcs003;56310
Looks like dirtwheels is needing to do a 450r intake shootout so they can crown Robl engineering the best intake.  it would be good for business troy.  best of luck with your business.

john

I wish they would do this. Motocross Action is the only magazine that does tests like this, from what i've seen.

They are more concerned with utility shootouts, exhaust shootouts, and promoting Duncan products.
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline troybilt

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2015, 09:55:45 AM »
I'm with you Tbone, I really enjoy MXA magazine articles.  I still get DW mags, but its more for my collection than any actual good articles, I have nearly every mag all the way back to the very first in 1980.  The DW's of old is gone..  They've sold their soul to the UTVs and utility markets (polaris).  They haven't done an valuable worthwhile test in years.  

As far as intakes, I don't know about best.  I have released or sold anything yet, lol!  The bar is set high with FCI, they do good work.
Elsinore 496cc Saber

Offline Saber569r

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2015, 01:12:27 PM »
Quote from: troybilt;56308
No one is freaking out.  I've been an R fanatic for the better part of of 20 years, I haven't seen an FCI installed on a 250R ever, I haven't seen anything other than the thread that was posted above.  It doesn't appear like it would fit all that well on the stock framed bikes.  Might work on the CR500 links and those aftermarket frames with the shock offset to the right and more room for the intake.  Mine is largely designed after the Stock 86 boot so it fits like stock, but I added a few touches to improve performance as well, like larger inlet opening for 450r filters.  Theirs looks like the one they sell for the 06+ trx450r's, but has an angled cut on the end where it mates to the carb, if that is truely the pic of one.  If you look there is a rib on theirs on the carb side... that "usually" butts right up to the carbs on 450r's, but they left a little extra material and changed the cut angle so it could mate to an R carb... just a guess.

Thanks for the replay, sound like a great product. I was thinking it might be a good set up for  my saber if I don't end up selling it. Good luck with your project.

Offline troybilt

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2015, 08:48:40 PM »
Here is the vapor smoothed prototype.  Fits the 38 a/s carb perfectly.
Elsinore 496cc Saber

Offline Burns363R

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 08:22:53 AM »
Looking great troy.
TRX 363R 02- Laeger Narrow Frame/CR500 Link, Motowoz Suspension, Roll Design +4 LT Arms,RPM Dominator +4 axle, LED 363 MX, LED 350G Pipe, 38 A/S CR Ignition

TRX 370R 86- Laeger Std,ISF-No Link Swinger, JD MGC LT Arms) Motowoz Shocks, LED 370/350D pipe, 38 A/S Carb, 200w OEM Ignition

Offline Tbone07

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2015, 08:46:50 AM »
Quote from: troybilt;56716

That looks awesome Troy
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline rablack21

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2015, 08:55:59 AM »
Quote from: troybilt;56716

My one concern would be, is there enough rubber collar length to make it easy enough to install the carb without having to take the airbox off? The intake boot is probably pretty stiff and rubber collar is so short that it is probably not very flexible. Not to mention this area is already so extremely tight around the carb to frame clearance already. I am thinking specifically if someone would be able to take the carb off without taking the airbox off like the factory setup allows. Would it be prudent to extend the length of the rubber collar a little bit and shorten the intake boot length a little to aid in fitment and assembly/dissassembly? or would this cause a great hindrance to performance? Just a friendly suggestion.

Offline troybilt

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »
They way my intakes and airboxes are designed, the airbox will need to be removed to install the intake.  I haven't made plans to do a rubber intake boot right now for the 250r's.  This is hard stiff plastic.  Problem with the rubber intakes is especially with the big bore they will collapse the intake slightly which reduces the performance a bunch.  I've done some rubber designs with ribs to stiffen up the rubber, but it would be a pita to install, cause they are pretty stiff as well.
Elsinore 496cc Saber

Offline Burns363R

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2015, 11:53:35 AM »
Ya, if you make the airbox easy to drop out or lift up, i woudlnt mind pulling it everytime for a carb change.  The OEM airbox gets tricky, especially with gusset kits.
TRX 363R 02- Laeger Narrow Frame/CR500 Link, Motowoz Suspension, Roll Design +4 LT Arms,RPM Dominator +4 axle, LED 363 MX, LED 350G Pipe, 38 A/S CR Ignition

TRX 370R 86- Laeger Std,ISF-No Link Swinger, JD MGC LT Arms) Motowoz Shocks, LED 370/350D pipe, 38 A/S Carb, 200w OEM Ignition

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38