TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Production C vs Open C class  (Read 6970 times)

Offline PNWrider

Production C vs Open C class
« on: March 30, 2016, 02:06:49 AM »
Just curious what class you guys would run for starting out, our series allows two strokes in the production classes but I'm not sure which one to do. I've hears that some of the faster guys will run open to get more practice but not sure how'd they get in when the series watches for that stuff. Guess I'm just lost for which one to do.

Offline Burns363R

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 06:49:01 AM »
usually production and open class's are the same riders.  That way we can enter both more than one race.  I had to run Open A at the nationals on my R, it wasnt allowed in the production class.  I ran a 450R in the Production A or 450A class's.  Most of my friends run 1 450r in both class's.  Open tends to be considered a higher level, since it doesnt have as many rules.  But it doesnt mean faster always.

Just pick one and start. you can always change class.
TRX 363R 02- Laeger Narrow Frame/CR500 Link, Motowoz Suspension, Roll Design +4 LT Arms,RPM Dominator +4 axle, LED 363 MX, LED 350G Pipe, 38 A/S CR Ignition

TRX 370R 86- Laeger Std,ISF-No Link Swinger, JD MGC LT Arms) Motowoz Shocks, LED 370/350D pipe, 38 A/S Carb, 200w OEM Ignition

Offline rablack21

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 09:33:04 AM »
As Kyle explained already, that was a hard question to answer. It could go either way. Sounds like in Kyle's area, open C tends to be a faster class. In our area, production C tends to be a faster class. At the nationals that I went to, it looked like production C was the faster guys. So I would say, if possible, watch both races first and see which guys are slower. If that isn't possible, sign up for one and find out. If you ended up last, you're last. Not the end of the world either way. I'm last often! LOL

Offline PNWrider

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 09:47:22 AM »
Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I'll probably sign up for both then drop whichever one I feel least comfortable in. Was just reading some comments on facebook, and some other guy was thinking of bringing his 250r, they were saying it wont keep up with the 4 strokes in the C classes....I hope I get a podium spot to prove them wrong haha. They don't know what Im riding yet

Offline Lasher 19

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 10:47:18 AM »
Here in New England MX series, the 250R is not allowed in the production class, not directly stated it cannot enter the production class, but try to find a 250R that will fall under production class rules, and it will be in a show room, not on the track. So you might want to make sure what the rules on modifying the quad in production class. A simple exhaust change from stock and you are illegal. :)

Good thing about the NEATV series, they break it out be cc size. In other words the 450cc rule applies to both 4 stroke and 2 stroke motors :) Straight from the president's mouth when I asked him.

As for a 2 stroke keeping up? Sure but at different places on the track. Entering corners is different between the 4 strokes and 2 strokes, especially in the C class level. 4 strokes use the engine breaking to really slow down going into the turns because they handle like crap and everyone is lazy and just relies on the torque coming out of the turn. Where us 2 strokes are still coming in hot to rail the turn. I do not know how many times I have bumped into the back of some one coming into the turn when I forgot. I learned to time my corners earlier now. I will not be right on them but be further back so I can still have the speed as they "point and shoot" the turn. The look on their faces when I pull up on the side coming out of the turn and use the extra speed to pull away from them. :)

Offline rablack21

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »
Quote from: Lasher 19;66137
Here in New England MX series, the 250R is not allowed in the production class, not directly stated it cannot enter the production class, but try to find a 250R that will fall under production class rules, and it will be in a show room, not on the track. So you might want to make sure what the rules on modifying the quad in production class. A simple exhaust change from stock and you are illegal. :)

Good thing about the NEATV series, they break it out be cc size. In other words the 450cc rule applies to both 4 stroke and 2 stroke motors :) Straight from the president's mouth when I asked him.

As for a 2 stroke keeping up? Sure but at different places on the track. Entering corners is different between the 4 strokes and 2 strokes, especially in the C class level. 4 strokes use the engine breaking to really slow down going into the turns because they handle like crap and everyone is lazy and just relies on the torque coming out of the turn. Where us 2 strokes are still coming in hot to rail the turn. I do not know how many times I have bumped into the back of some one coming into the turn when I forgot. I learned to time my corners earlier now. I will not be right on them but be further back so I can still have the speed as they "point and shoot" the turn. The look on their faces when I pull up on the side coming out of the turn and use the extra speed to pull away from them. :)
I can testify to what Lasher said about the cornering as well, especially in C class. The 4 strokes will dern near come to a complete stop to take a turn, especially if it's a flat turn with no berm. I have just about run into the back of them several times.If there is an available outer lane, go in hot and go around them.

Offline Allison#51

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 07:32:57 PM »
Yeah I'd agree about the four strokes checking up in the corners they do it in ice racing too. Check the production rules first. I think the AMA usually allows up to a 265cc two stroke in production classes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I know that's what it was last year at the edge of Summer mx which was AMA sanctioned. Don't worry about what the local guys say on Facebook unless your just using it to fuel your fire. It's definetly not always a bad thing to be with a faster group either. That's only gonna make you faster. If you can, run both. Your already there.

Offline PNWrider

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 11:37:49 PM »
Since I've only been on a track twice and only one of those times was on my R i'll be trying to make it to practice every weekend before the race. Mainly to get a feel for the bike on the dirt, as it is normally in the sand. Can't thank you guys enough for all the useful information! I have been watching a few videos of C class races in this series and it doesn't look too bad. As far as racing in Production class I contacted the series promoter and he says it is okay to race in production, I think mainly just to get a better turnout,  ATV MX doesn't seem to be as big out here in the Pacific northwest because of the dunes.

Offline Skeans1

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 12:10:52 AM »
Quote from: PNWrider;66159
Since I've only been on a track twice and only one of those times was on my R i'll be trying to make it to practice every weekend before the race. Mainly to get a feel for the bike on the dirt, as it is normally in the sand. Can't thank you guys enough for all the useful information! I have been watching a few videos of C class races in this series and it doesn't look too bad. As far as racing in Production class I contacted the series promoter and he says it is okay to race in production, I think mainly just to get a better turnout,  ATV MX doesn't seem to be as big out here in the Pacific northwest because of the dunes.

I know where I am in there's only one track that allows atv's on it as well that's another big deal with hardly any atv racing out here too.

Offline sangheraent

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 12:03:38 PM »
Hit the gym or run as much as possible. I haven't raced in a few years but endurance was my personal issue was fast as hell the first lap or two then I would slowly fade. Most mx races are won and lost way before anyone gets to the track.

Offline PNWrider

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 01:36:37 PM »
Quote from: sangheraent;66173
Hit the gym or run as much as possible. I haven't raced in a few years but endurance was my personal issue was fast as hell the first lap or two then I would slowly fade. Most mx races are won and lost way before anyone gets to the track.
I'm glad you mentioned this! It's exactly what I've been doing for the past month. I was pretty skinny and already put on 10lbs of muscle from proper diet and hitting the weights and running pretty hard. But there's no replacement for getting out there and getting seat time in, so I'm trying to get a few practices in before round 1 so I can get focused on staying relaxed on the track

Offline PNWrider

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 01:39:06 PM »
Quote from: Skeans1;66160
I know where I am in there's only one track that allows atv's on it as well that's another big deal with hardly any atv racing out here too.

They just tried closing down a track around here too quads last week, hope it doesn't happen

Offline Skeans1

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 06:51:41 PM »
Quote from: PNWrider;66175
I'm glad you mentioned this! It's exactly what I've been doing for the past month. I was pretty skinny and already put on 10lbs of muscle from proper diet and hitting the weights and running pretty hard. But there's no replacement for getting out there and getting seat time in, so I'm trying to get a few practices in before round 1 so I can get focused on staying relaxed on the track

Another thing for endurance find something that has some vibrations, kicks and pulls it'll help your forearms.

Offline btw250

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 11:50:52 PM »
Jumping jack. Ditch compactor works good

Offline Lasher 19

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »
My best advice is to breathe! You will be surprised at how much you hold your breath on the track. Pick a couple spots on the track where you force yourself to take a breath. And loosen your grip on the handlebars. Let the bike flow under you.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38