TRX250r.org

Author Topic: First race report, open C class  (Read 4768 times)

Offline PNWrider

First race report, open C class
« on: April 17, 2016, 02:40:47 PM »
So I did my first race ever yesterday. Man am I sore, nothing can prepare you for your first race besides seat time. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I have even more respect for those who race these R's against 4 strokes.

My class consisted of 8 riders along with 3 b class riders who probably could've rode in the A class according to the spectators. I thought about holding off on the hole shot but I wanted to see how my little 293 motor would do. I started in 2nd gear and seemed to be hanging with the others at first until they got traction. They all took off and I ended next to last place to the corner (keep in mind the first 3 riders are b class).
In the first corner I ended up passing two getting me to 4th in my class, feeling pretty good so far. Pass the next guy who made a mistake on a corner and passed him on a jump. The track consisted of mostly tabletops but had a double and a whoops section that requires doubling. Being my first race my goal was to finish in one piece. First lap goes by and I'm still feeling good. I'm able to work my way up to 2nd place due to another rider error but get passed on the next corner by someone more experienced.
By the end of the 2nd lap I'm starting to feel it in my arms. I start really slowing down just trying to hang on. Unfortunately I just couldn't keep up a good pace and a lot of the C riders started doubling the whoops so two were able to get passed me on the last Laos. Overall I finished 5th in both moto 1 and 2.

After talking to my group they could tell I wasn't relaxing my arms and they were stiff thru the whole first moto. The 2nd moto I started out in 5th but focused a lot on breathing and my death grip. I felt less tired than the first race that's for sure. Once i get more seat time in, get suspension dialed in, and more comfortable with doubles I feel I will have a much better chance keeping up wig the front of the pack. Also the 2nd moto I used the berms and was able to launch myself around the corner much faster than taking the inside.

Video of moto 1 to come when I get home

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips and tricks!

Offline huntertools

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
Good job, it will get better. Takes seat time and yes relax and let the quad do the work. Keep your elbows up and remember the fastest way from point A to point B is a straight line. Good luck.

Allen

Offline PNWrider

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 01:04:21 AM »
Quote from: huntertools;66677
Good job, it will get better. Takes seat time and yes relax and let the quad do the work. Keep your elbows up and remember the fastest way from point A to point B is a straight line. Good luck.

Allen

Thanks Allen! I definitely forgot to relax and keep my elbows up haha. Had a blast though!

Here's the video, you can tell how quickly I slow down after the first lap. And looking back it would've been easier to double the whoops rather than land on the back side of them, learning in progress.

[video=youtube;JtJwOJpedvE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtJwOJpedvE[/video]

Offline zcarlson12

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:47:27 AM »
Good job. That track looks fun for sure, glad you had a good time and you and the bike came away in one piece. That motor sounds like it's running crisp. Just curious, what gearing are you running?
Laeger 310R

Offline JoePA

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:53:13 AM »
Great job! watching the video now. What is your gearing? The quad sounds good but it seems like you are running out of gear. Also, I noticed this with myself, the more you ride the smoother you will get so some things change but I found the 14/37 gearing works best for me.

Offline PNWrider

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 11:20:42 AM »
Thanks [MENTION=103]zcarlson12[/MENTION] and @JoaPA
Yeah it did seem I was running out quick. My hearing right now is 14-38. The motor itself is a dune ported motor. So I do have to keep it in the higher range compared to mx porting. But for now I'm going to stick with this until I get better form down for racing. I will probably look into 14-47 tho if that would help a bit

Offline JoePA

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 11:39:47 AM »
I ran the same gearing for a while as well and it worked but as soon as you get more seat time on the track you'll be searching for more gear. Once again great job and keep us posted on future races.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 02:02:29 PM »
Sounds like you had fun and came home in one piece. Those are the most important things, especially being your first race. I know my first race was brutal. I remember running balls to the walls for about a lap and a help, and then I was so exhausted I was begging for the checkered flag. lol. Like others have mentioned, body position, breathing, and intensity of grip will determine how bad your arm pump gets. That's why you did so much better the second moto. You were more than likely more relaxed, if you will. My legs tend to get tired during races also, from all the standing and squating, and shifting side to side off the seat. Although 14-38 and 14-37 are very similar, I think you will find that your engine will pull 14-37 with no problem. Pros in the past used to run 15-38 gearing as well.

Offline Sand_Blaster

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »
Hell yah man that looks like a fun track. I agree with others on the gearing. Thanks for posting this. How was the overall turn out on the series?
87 Trx250r & 99 Banshee

Offline rablack21

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:17:01 AM »
A few things that I noticed from the video and wanted to share with you (Please don't take this as criticizing, because I do it to)
I know this is your first race, but I feel like these things will help you as you continue.

1. If at all possible, try not to ride behind the 4 strokes in the turns. They tend to slow down a lot, sometimes to a complete stop. One of our advantages is to be able to come into the turn hot, and hammer out of the turn. A lot of them are lazy and rely on their power to get them going again. I noticed you all but rear ended one of them.

2.Hold the throttle just a bit longer. That is a long, fast flowing track. I noticed that you were revving up the engine well, but you were letting off the throttle quite a bit before turns and some jumps. Believe me, I know this is easier said than done. A lot of guys neglect cornering speed, but us 2 stroke guys can take advantage of this.

3. Smooth out the jumps as much as possible. I noticed several times that you were landing on the 2nd hump of the double jumps. Not only does this slow you down, but it usually feel pretty rough went you land too. (Again, trust me I know all too well, lol). You are only missing the end of the jump by a little bit, so either hit is a little harder and clear it or back off a little bit and not bounce off that 2nd hump.

Hope you find this helpful.

Offline Lasher 19

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 04:19:57 PM »
Nothing like the smooth landing of hitting the downside of a jump. :) Early on I used to run out of gear as well, then switched to 14/37 and found a big difference in my riding.

And speaking of begging for the checker flag. Nothing worse than on that last lap, when you have had enough and settled in to cruise out the rest of the lap when you see that guy dogging it in front of you. I don't know how many times I felt like I was going to die because I had to chase that guy down. :) Then is becomes a battle between two guys pushing for pride, ready to throw up in their helmets.

Last year at Southwick I was just about to get the white flag and completely out of gas. I saw a guy a ways up from me and decided that I was going to catch him. He saw me coming and for that entire last lap the two of us battled around the whole sandy whooped out track. No matter how much I tried he was just keeping me from passing him. Finally came to the last straight before the last sweeping (be it completely whooped out) turn. I push through the cramped thumb and hammered the throttle and pick the worst whooped out line into the turn. It was either make the pass or crash type mentality. As I came across the finish line I look back and saw the other rider had backed off. I felt great. I was laying on the handlebars from exhaustion, unable to breathe but I had made that pass.

When I got to my truck, I saw that the other guy was pitted across the row from me. Once I could move, I walked over to him and told him that was an awesome battle and asked what happened in that last turn. His reply..."I threw up in my helmet from trying to hold you off and had to back down." Yeah...us old guys are sad.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 08:05:11 AM »
Quote from: Lasher 19;66840
Nothing like the smooth landing of hitting the downside of a jump. :) Early on I used to run out of gear as well, then switched to 14/37 and found a big difference in my riding.

And speaking of begging for the checker flag. Nothing worse than on that last lap, when you have had enough and settled in to cruise out the rest of the lap when you see that guy dogging it in front of you. I don't know how many times I felt like I was going to die because I had to chase that guy down. :) Then is becomes a battle between two guys pushing for pride, ready to throw up in their helmets.

Last year at Southwick I was just about to get the white flag and completely out of gas. I saw a guy a ways up from me and decided that I was going to catch him. He saw me coming and for that entire last lap the two of us battled around the whole sandy whooped out track. No matter how much I tried he was just keeping me from passing him. Finally came to the last straight before the last sweeping (be it completely whooped out) turn. I push through the cramped thumb and hammered the throttle and pick the worst whooped out line into the turn. It was either make the pass or crash type mentality. As I came across the finish line I look back and saw the other rider had backed off. I felt great. I was laying on the handlebars from exhaustion, unable to breathe but I had made that pass.

When I got to my truck, I saw that the other guy was pitted across the row from me. Once I could move, I walked over to him and told him that was an awesome battle and asked what happened in that last turn. His reply..."I threw up in my helmet from trying to hold you off and had to back down." Yeah...us old guys are sad.

I would laugh at this story if it didn't hit so close to home! This sounded very similar to my last race. LOL

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38