TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Woods riding  (Read 6677 times)

Offline Felten

Woods riding
« on: August 18, 2016, 04:39:05 PM »
Hey all, I am pretty new to the 250R world.  Only have had my 1989 TRX250R for a few months now.  I am not sure if this is the correct forum category for this question, but if any of you guys ride technical stuff in the woods, what sort of motor / pipe setup would you recommend?  My 250R has a stock motor with PT ELIMINATOR pipe and Fat Boy 2 silencer.  Please let me know your opinions on this.  Thanks, Pete

Offline 2ndmoto

Woods riding
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
Arlan at LED Performance is up in your area, based out of Gresham Or. Arlan has a legacy with woods setups. When 250r ruled the GNCC Arlan's motors were at the top. Barry Hawk and Bill Ballance ran his setups, I think he won 10 pro championships. He is a site sponsor and can be found via google.

Welcome to the site.

Best regards
-Jason

Offline Felten

Woods riding
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »
Quote from: 2ndmoto;69271
Arlan at LED Performance is up in your area, based out of Gresham Or. Arlan has a legacy with woods setups. When 250r ruled the GNCC Arlan's motors were at the top. Barry Hawk and Bill Ballance ran his setups, I think he won 10 pro championships. He is a site sponsor and can be found via google.

Welcome to the site.

Best regards
-Jason
Thanks for the info on Arlan.  I will get in touch with him.  I go riding at the dunes usually once or twice a year, but head to the woods on a regular basis.  A woods setup is what I need.  Thanks again!

Offline Skeans1

Woods riding
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
Quote from: Felten;69274
Thanks for the info on Arlan.  I will get in touch with him.  I go riding at the dunes usually once or twice a year, but head to the woods on a regular basis.  A woods setup is what I need.  Thanks again!

I ride my puma in the woods as well as the dunes, same with my old sphinx both are dune motors. One thing you should ask yourself is where do want the power to come on?

Offline Felten

Woods riding
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 01:16:29 PM »
Quote from: Skeans1;69278
I ride my puma in the woods as well as the dunes, same with my old sphinx both are dune motors. One thing you should ask yourself is where do want the power to come on?
 I think the best place to have power when riding in the woods would be at the bottm to mid RPM range.  What do you think?

Offline Skeans1

Woods riding
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
Quote from: Felten;69279
I think the best place to have power when riding in the woods would be at the bottm to mid RPM range.  What do you think?
That's personal preference I like a mid to top motor for myself I kept stuff in the rpms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline Felten

Woods riding
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »
Quote from: Skeans1;69280
That's personal preference I like a mid to top motor for myself I kept stuff in the rpms.

You are right, it is definitely personal preference.  2ndmoto recommended that I talk to Arlan at LED Performance about a woods riding setup.  I looked on their web site and it seems like they configure woods bikes for low to mid RPM power.  I guess that would make sense for XC races.  You have some stretches where you can hit top speeds, but for the most part you need hole shot type power when coming out of tight turns, etc.

Offline Skeans1

Woods riding
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 01:27:22 PM »
Quote from: Felten;69281
You are right, it is definitely personal preference.  2ndmoto recommended that I talk to Arlan at LED Performance about a woods riding setup.  I looked on their web site and it seems like they configure woods bikes for low to mid RPM power.  I guess that would make sense for XC races.  You have some stretches where you can hit top speeds, but for the most part you need hole shot type power when coming out of tight turns, etc.
I've rode with 2ndmoto before and a led bike would be one of those bikes just not what I like.

Offline Felten

Woods riding
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 01:36:29 PM »
Quote from: Skeans1;69282
I've rode with 2ndmoto before and a led bike would be one of those bikes just not what I like.

I completely understand what your saying.

Offline Skeans1

Woods riding
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 01:40:46 PM »
Quote from: Felten;69283
I completely understand what your saying.
Sometimes you can gear them to fit your needs and how the motor are set up.

Offline F-Red

Woods riding
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 02:33:47 PM »
Quote from: Felten;69281
Talk to Arlan at LED Performance about a woods riding setup.

Call Arlan. He'll do what you want, where you want it. I wish he was in my area. I'd be there everyday.
Want To See My Wieners?

Offline Felten

Woods riding
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 04:34:52 PM »
Quote from: F-Red;69285
Call Arlan. He'll do what you want, where you want it. I wish he was in my area. I'd be there everyday.
 Thanks for that confirmation.  I think he is about 3 hours by car North of where I live in Oregon.  I am sensing it will be well worth the drive.

Online croat1

Woods riding
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 05:02:02 PM »
Quote from: Felten;69267
Hey all, I am pretty new to the 250R world.  Only have had my 1989 TRX250R for a few months now.  I am not sure if this is the correct forum category for this question, but if any of you guys ride technical stuff in the woods, what sort of motor / pipe setup would you recommend?  My 250R has a stock motor with PT ELIMINATOR pipe and Fat Boy 2 silencer.  Please let me know your opinions on this.  Thanks, Pete

Pet, how technical is the riding area.  I've ridden in places where I'd be lucky to get into 3rd (miles and miles in 1st and 2nd).  ruts and mud.  at times so narrow that a stock bike (stock with) barely makes it though.  a Paul Turner Type 6 pipe is a low end pipe.  the PT Eliminator...not so much

Joe

Offline broken1

Woods riding
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 05:40:20 PM »
You might try to keep an eye out for an oldschool FMF H-14 Don Emler gold series pipe which is what's on my wife's R & I love the bottom & mid it has for woods riding. I was also surprised how well it pulled on the top end at the dune's... I think the ESR trx7 pipe is basically a copy of the H-14 pipe so you could go that route also.

Offline Felten

Woods riding
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 05:42:56 PM »
Quote from: croat1;69289
Pet, how technical is the riding area.  I've ridden in places where I'd be lucky to get into 3rd (miles and miles in 1st and 2nd).  ruts and mud.  at times so narrow that a stock bike (stock with) barely makes it though.  a Paul Turner Type 6 pipe is a low end pipe.  the PT Eliminator...not so much

Joe
 Hi Joe, The technical riding you described is the type of riding I like to do.  Normally I ride this sort of terrain on my TRX450R, but at this point really want to focus on 2-Strokes and will probably sell the TRX450R if I can get the 89 TRX250R setup to work just as good or better than the 450R.  BTW, I figured the Eliminator pipe was a better option for the Oregon dunes than in the woods.  I assume the 39mm Carb will also need to be changed.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38