TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Questions about long travel a-arms  (Read 3452 times)

Offline nick20555

Questions about long travel a-arms
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:08:15 AM »
With the build I'm doing, I think I have my suspension figured out and now I just need to figure out what long travel arms I want.

Does anyone have opinions on the American star racing (ASR) long travels? They are considerably cheaper than most which is why I would like to know.

I also might have the opportunity to get some fairly good condition 400ex long travels as well and I'm a little confused as to how the 400ex suspension works. I read that they will work but require small spacers where they mount to the frame due to them being thinner than the 250R's. The thing I'm confused about is, does all the other components toward the wheel side (spindles, hubs, brakes, etc) compatible? No one really seems to clarify if they are just running full 400ex front ends or if they are using just the arms and spacers and then 250R components like the spindles, hubs, and brakes. Could someone tell me if all I need is my 250R stuff and 400ex arms and spacers or do I need a full 400ex front end?

If its too much work, I'll just get the ASR long travels or if those are shit, then I'll try to find some other brand 250R long travels.

Offline rk88r

Re: Questions about long travel a-arms
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »
The upper arm on ex's are shorter relative to than R arms. It is likely within the adjustment range of the upper balljoint. I've never had asr arms, though I don't care for heim joints for attaching lower arms to the frame because I ride in muddy conditions often. If I were shopping I would get JDPerformance. Just remember shock length, brake line length, and a arms must all work as a package.
\'99 Laeger narrow, cr link, +3+1 protrax, Peps, with a LED 363
\'88 265 pv peps
One other \'88

Offline nick20555

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 05:27:06 PM »
The upper arm on ex's are shorter relative to than R arms. It is likely within the adjustment range of the upper balljoint. I've never had asr arms, though I don't care for heim joints for attaching lower arms to the frame because I ride in muddy conditions often. If I were shopping I would get JDPerformance. Just remember shock length, brake line length, and a arms must all work as a package.
So I take it the 250r spindle can accept ball joints other than heim joints since you are saying you don't run heim joints?

I did some more digging and found that some people have run the alba 400ex long travel on Rs with success and they are even cheaper than the ASR long travels. I looked at the JD arms and they look good and I've heard great things but my build is starting to add up so I'm considering cheaper options where I can. The motor and shocks are the 2 most important things in my eyes and I'm going top of the line products in those 2 areas. So the alba 400ex arms seem to be where I'm starting to lean to save a few hundred dollars.

As for making everything work as one, my suspension guy has told me that he will make whatever I need as long as I get or measure the eye to eye length and stroke length. So I have that covered because he will build the shocks around whatever I need. And alba offers matching brake line lengths optional with the purchase of the arms.

Offline rk88r

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 06:11:06 PM »
Cool keep us posted on on how she rides.
\'99 Laeger narrow, cr link, +3+1 protrax, Peps, with a LED 363
\'88 265 pv peps
One other \'88

Offline Tbone07

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 11:54:11 AM »
I'm not a fan of the Alba stuff as they use Chinese components and overall they're a cheaper product.

JD Performance makes the highest quality a-arms for a very good price.
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline nick20555

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »
Just so that I keep the thread updated, I went ahead and spent the each money on the JD Performance MGC arms. The are due to arrive soon. I'll try to give an update on them but it will be a while until my build is ready to ride.

Offline Hawaiiysr

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 03:28:52 AM »
did you go with LT?

Offline nick20555

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 03:48:39 PM »
did you go with LT?
Yes I did. I have been really busy lately though so I don't have them installed fully yet. If I can remember, I will post pics when they are done.

Offline patman13mia

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »
Dude great job on ordering the JD performance arms!! You would have been pissed with the quality of the American star arms and down the road would want something better so you did the smartest thing you could do and bought quality right off the bat!! Good job on that!! Post some pics of your front end setup when you get it all installed!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38