TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Difference in aftermarket frames  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Grande huevos

Difference in aftermarket frames
« on: July 11, 2017, 07:37:57 AM »
I'm currently on the hunt for a aftermarket frame and I have a few question that hopefully you guys can answer for me.  First off do all the aftermarket frames have a sufficient gap between the swing arm and the back the cases? My oem frame has almost none! Maybe slide a index card in between the two of them.  Second are there any major differences between leagers narrow, lone star Baja, and an arens?  Do they all accept oem hardware, and do you have to have any brand specific parts (a arms, swing arm, nerf bars, etc..)   Pros and cons from one frame to the next? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline Grande huevos

Re: Difference in aftermarket frames
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:47:58 AM »
Also if it's a cr linkage can you use any shock and just toss the oem linkage out? What are the benefits of running the no link setup? 

Offline Skeans1

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:30:48 AM »
I'm currently on the hunt for a aftermarket frame and I have a few question that hopefully you guys can answer for me.  First off do all the aftermarket frames have a sufficient gap between the swing arm and the back the cases? My oem frame has almost none! Maybe slide a index card in between the two of them.  Second are there any major differences between leagers narrow, lone star Baja, and an arens?  Do they all accept oem hardware, and do you have to have any brand specific parts (a arms, swing arm, nerf bars, etc..)   Pros and cons from one frame to the next? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I'll tell you one thing you'll have issues with is pipe fitment.

Offline zcarlson12

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 01:35:39 PM »
I've had really good luck with Laeger chassis'. Like @Skeans1 said you may or may not have some fitment issues. I had some minor issues with intake but just made my own to solve the problem. My LRD pipe fits perfectly on my frame. The cases on mine are very close to the swingarm. I also prefer the Laeger std/wide frame to the narrow but its all personal preference. You could always have Steve Buchinsky build you a complete new one too and have it tailored to what you want.
Laeger 310R

Offline Grande huevos

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
I've had really good luck with Laeger chassis'. Like @Skeans1 said you may or may not have some fitment issues. I had some minor issues with intake but just made my own to solve the problem. My LRD pipe fits perfectly on my frame. The cases on mine are very close to the swingarm. I also prefer the Laeger std/wide frame to the narrow but its all personal preference. You could always have Steve Buchinsky build you a complete new one too and have it tailored to what you want.

As much as I'd love to buy a new frame the price tags are a bit scary  from what I've seen. DR lobo, Walsh , and Lone star. I've found a few "cheaper" used ones but I haven't been able to convince myself to pull the trigger on one.. the main reason for wanting a aftermarket frame is to get better clearance between the swing arm and cases but it doesn't sound like the leagers have much either?? my oem frame doesn't appear to have any and I'm scared to stick a motor back into it with brand new cases!! I have a friend with a nice arens and it looks like he has a solid 1/2-3/4" space so I assumed all after market frames had the same as a way to fix the issue of busting cases so easily

Offline Skeans1

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »

As much as I'd love to buy a new frame the price tags are a bit scary  from what I've seen. DR lobo, Walsh , and Lone star. I've found a few "cheaper" used ones but I haven't been able to convince myself to pull the trigger on one.. the main reason for wanting a aftermarket frame is to get better clearance between the swing arm and cases but it doesn't sound like the leagers have much either?? my oem frame doesn't appear to have any and I'm scared to stick a motor back into it with brand new cases!! I have a friend with a nice arens and it looks like he has a solid 1/2-3/4" space so I assumed all after market frames had the same as a way to fix the issue of busting cases so easily
The space between the swingarm and cases would be how thick of material they used when building the swingarm.

Offline Grande huevos

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 01:05:00 AM »

The space between the swingarm and cases would be how thick of material they used when building the swingarm.
[/quote]

So you don't think that a frame would solve the issue then? Hmmm... well I have a lone star swinger and it's to close for comfort especially when I'm going to slapping in a motor that's brand new top to
Bottom!! Any info on the clearance from different brands of swingers?

Offline Tbone07

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 11:57:11 AM »
I will take a look at mine when I get home, but I believe I have plenty of space between engine cases and swing-arm.

I like my narrow front-end but big-bore pipe fitment can be an issue. Most all chassis manufacturers can use 100% OEM parts. As far as nerf bars go, some manufacturers might use a different eye-to-eye length on the pro-peg mounts. I was able to use my Rath nerf bars from my LSR chassis on my Laeger because they were the same.

There's also subtle differences like no skid plate mounts or front fender mounts on the "MX" version of certain frames, which are included on the XC or standard version. All depends on when the frame was built and what the manufacturer was doing at the time.

Laeger known for all around high quality, good parts fitment. Arens is more of a stock replacement but tough as nails. LSR tends to use some cheaper materials in certain spots, but overall it's a quality frame.
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38