TRX250r.org

Author Topic: New pro grade 89 year style water pump shafts  (Read 3497 times)

Offline rablack21

New pro grade 89 year style water pump shafts
« on: April 16, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »
Hey guys. Wanted to give an update on what’s in the pipeline.
First up is new water pump shafts. I wanted to make the new ones equal to or better than the oem ones. I say pro grade because these are a step up from the factory ones. The factory ones were made of mild steel that were surface hardened in two spots to reduce cost. Nothing wrong with that at all! Due to what is available to me now, I decided to make mine through hardened ones out of a stronger steel. The final product will be stronger and harder than the oem pieces. They will be compatible with 89 style water pump impellers and fit like Oem. Price is not completely determined yet.

Second product will be new 89 style water pump impellers. These will be exact replacements. They will just be machined instead of cast aluminum. Oem ones are cast. Price not determined. Shafts will come first then impellers.

Stay tuned. Good things coming!

Offline havinnoj

Re: New pro grade 89 year style water pump shafts
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:46:25 PM »
Sweet deal!  The shafts you previously made were out of billet.  Why the switch to this steel?  Any other differences?

Offline rablack21

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 08:05:18 PM »
Sweet deal!  The shafts you previously made were out of billet.  Why the switch to this steel?  Any other differences?
My last batch was made of 304 stainless steel. While they were a viable option to get people back on the trail, they will not have the longevity that you would get from the oem ones. With that said, I now have the ability to make ones that would meet or exceed oem ones. So why not make them better if one is able to?

Offline havinnoj

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:28:53 PM »
My last batch was made of 304 stainless steel. While they were a viable option to get people back on the trail, they will not have the longevity that you would get from the oem ones. With that said, I now have the ability to make ones that would meet or exceed oem ones. So why not make them better if one is able to?

My mistake - could have sworn they were billet.  I'm in for at least 2 shafts; probably 1 or 2 impellers too.  Thanks for supporting the community @rablack21!  Have a ballpark time line for completion?

Offline rablack21

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 09:21:04 PM »

My mistake - could have sworn they were billet.  I'm in for at least 2 shafts; probably 1 or 2 impellers too.  Thanks for supporting the community @rablack21!  Have a ballpark time line for completion?
No problem at all. Ball park time frame would be 2 weeks for the first batch of 20. Test pieces are being machined this week. Then heat treated. After confirming the hardness and overall finish, I will make the other 18. Impellers will be a little longer. They will be made of billet aluminum. Grade not decided yet.

Offline havinnoj

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 09:23:29 PM »
Quote from: rablack21
No problem at all. Ball park time frame would be 2 weeks for the first batch of 20. Test pieces are being machined this week. Then heat treated. After confirming the hardness and overall finish, I will make the other 18. Impellers will be a little longer. They will be made of billet aluminum. Grade not decided yet.
Cool. Keep us updated!

Offline hickwheeler

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »
So how is this going
88 hybrid 431 puma
88 (BOF Build) stock motor and oem 89 plastics
More in the works

Offline rablack21

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 11:42:41 AM »
Sorry for no update. Work has been hectic. My machine shop guy has been swamped and unable to make them yet. I may have to use another source. Sorry for the delay. Need to get back on these.

Offline havinnoj

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 03:47:57 PM »
Sorry for no update. Work has been hectic. My machine shop guy has been swamped and unable to make them yet. I may have to use another source. Sorry for the delay. Need to get back on these.

Thanks for the update Ryan.  Keep us posted!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38