TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Update from Power Apt on cast smart carbs  (Read 49678 times)

Offline etccb

Update from Power Apt on cast smart carbs
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »
These look very cool. Bring on the 40 cast.
We need our normal performance guys to play with these to see if they can maybe make them bigger for us.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »
Quote from: Fire1;13903
Got email today saying the want be receiving the parts to assemble them till October 22 .

To Our Pre-Order Customers,

This is an update for our SmartCarb pre-order customers on the
progress of cast 38mm SmartCarb durability testing and production
timeline.  

American Performance Technologies is pleased to announce that the
in-house comprehensive durability testing phase is complete. External
durability testing by riders in the field will remain ongoing as we
continually look for ways to improve and refine our technology.  

Minor wear and durability related issues have been addressed and
appropriate changes have been made to final casting and machining of
38mm cast SmartCarbs. Float bowl baffling has been markedly improved
to reduce chances of fuel cavitation/bogging and new floats will
minimize flooding issues and reduce part count and complexity. By
taking the time necessary to complete comprehensive durability
testing, we feel that we have satisfied our obligations to ensure
that our product meets and exceeds the high quality expectations of
our customers.

Today our supplier has announced that we will not be receiving
production castings on October 8 as promised. Our supplier has
assured us that SmartCarb castings will begin arriving, fully
machined and ready for assembly, starting October 22. APT will then
begin shipping them out to pre-order customers as we build them on a
first-ordered, first-received basis.

As always, American Performance Technologies appreciates your
patience and support.

After APT receives this first run of 38mm cast carbs, we will quickly
move into casting other sizes.  Unfortunately, this means that there
will be a considerable amount of time before we produce another run
of SmartCarbs in the 38mm size. After current pre-order quantities
are satisfied, we estimate that there will only be 100 cast 38s in
this first run that will go into on-the-shelf inventory.  APT expects
that shelf stock of 38mm carbs to be depleted quickly due to high
demand.  If you want to get your hands on one of these remaining 38mm
cast SmartCarbs, we encourage any who are interested to go to our
website, http://www.powerapt.com, and pre-order.

We will keep you up-to-date and a notification will be sent to your
email once your SmartCarb has been shipped.  If you have any
questions or concerns, please give us a call at 1-877-372-3465.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please reply to this
message with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or simply click on the
following link:

http://cts.vresp.com/u?d40d213dc7/9ce4f18ff0/mlpftw

Yeah, I got this as well, but was expecting it since Corey basically told me this was going to happen when I placed my order last week. He told me we would have them by the end of October. I am excited to get my hands on one. Once they start shipping, the extras are gonna go fast.

Offline Fire1

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 07:55:48 PM »
Quote from: rablack21;14150
Yeah, I got this as well, but was expecting it since Corey basically told me this was going to happen when I placed my order last week. He told me we would have them by the end of October. I am excited to get my hands on one. Once they start shipping, the extras are gonna go fast.

Do you know if the billet ones are shipping any quicker than 2 weeks after a order is placed.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »
Quote from: Fire1;14184
Do you know if the billet ones are shipping any quicker than 2 weeks after a order is placed.

I'm not 100% sure. It would be best to ask Corey. I do believe he mentioned that they had been shipping like every 2 weeks anyway on the billet ones. They have been getting them out pretty quick.

Offline udontknowme

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 12:42:06 AM »
all hell broke loose at ktmtalk. looks like middle of november at the earliest now. hahahahahahaha . apt is a bunch of clowns imo
to much power is almost enough

Offline JoePA

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 07:25:50 AM »
Quote from: udontknowme;14226
all hell broke loose at ktmtalk. looks like middle of november at the earliest now. hahahahahahaha . apt is a bunch of clowns imo

Its pretty freakin sad that they are taking so long to produce something that a company already made and just neded to make improvements to. Hell, we designed, built and then flew plans into battle back in WWII and these guys can't get a freakin carb into production!!

Offline rablack21

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 08:34:31 AM »
Quote from: udontknowme;14226

According to what was posted over there, this is inaccurate. The middle of November is when people would be able to receive them AFTER all the pre-orders have been fulfilled. This would be people ordering one right off the shelf, not people who have already ordered them, so this is very reasonable.

Quote from: JoePA;14233
Its pretty freakin sad that they are taking so long to produce something that a company already made and just needed to make improvements to. Hell, we designed, built and then flew plans into battle back in WWII and these guys can't get a freakin carb into production!!

While I agree that it has taken quite a while to get everything right and release these carbs, I would rather extra time be taken up front to make sure everything is good to go, then to get one and have a multitude of issues with them.  A company only has one chance to make a good first impression. Pissing people off with a long delivery and them being really happy with the product when they get it is far better than people getting the product quickly and being pissed off because it's not working correctly or all the bugs are not worked out of them.

Besides, they never promised a concrete delivery date from the start and have always offered anyone's money back who changed their mind.  And they were upfront from the start that they were just moving into the testing phase when they began the pre-order program. It was understood by those participating that this would take some time.  You've got to get it right before you release the product or customers will hate the product and the company will go under.  Yes, it is frustrating, but I also believe it will be worth the wait. I'll review it soon when I get mine in.

By the way, these carbs have already shown what they can do. No, the cast version is not proven yet, but the billet ones are everything they claim. I have ridden one personally. Just ask Oldschoolr. He loves his.

Offline etccb

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 10:02:01 AM »
I hate to see a company promote and push the prepay preorder angle. It is like they need your money first to finish the product or put an item together for you. Deposit to get in line ok, but the promotion and push by the company of the send me money now can be a little shaky.

Offline F-Red

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 10:35:21 AM »
Quote from: etccb;14245
I hate to see a company promote and push the prepay preorder angle. It is like they need your money first to finish the product or put an item together for you. Deposit to get in line ok, but the promotion and push by the company of the send me money now can be a little shaky.

^^ Agreed ^^ But they are an up start company, still looking for investors. I hope it works out. Remember, there is a saying. "Good things come, to those who wait." I have no patience to wait!! :upset:
Want To See My Wieners?

Offline etccb

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 11:07:05 AM »
Quote from: F-Red;14248
^^ Agreed ^^ But they are an up start company, still looking for investors. I hope it works out. Remember, there is a saying. "Good things come, to those who wait." I have no patience to wait!! :upset:

I'm with you and don't think there will be any problems. To push the prepaid send in your money angle so hard even on the you tube videos is just not a normal everyday business practice. I hope it works out as well. Cool product.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
Quote from: etccb;14252
I'm with you and don't think there will be any problems. To push the prepaid send in your money angle so hard even on the you tube videos is just not a normal everyday business practice. I hope it works out as well. Cool product.

It's not a money issue. It's not that they need the money up front to make the product. It's a way to measure initial demand in order to estimate first batch size. This is a normal practice in other industries. Take a look at movies and video games. Online companies like Amazon, Game Stop, and etc. take pre-order money all the time. I think the pre-order is mainly due the size offering. They will be offering a 36mm and a 40mm version as well and don't want to over-estimate or under-estimate the demand of the 38mm.

Offline oldschoolr

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »
Ryan when you talked to Corey did he  say they were gonna offer a cast 40mm ? Back in April when I talked to him the 38 was the biggest cast they were going to have.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »
Quote from: oldschoolr;14258
Ryan when you talked to Corey did he  say they were gonna offer a cast 40mm ? Back in April when I talked to him the 38 was the biggest cast they were going to have.

Yes, If I remember correctly, he said they would be casting the 40mm next I believe.

Offline udontknowme

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 07:39:04 PM »
from ktmtalk-The new design will allow the ability to replace the slide/fork module within a common body family, thus making it either a 36,38 or 40mm.

aparently you just swap slides and whatever a fork module is on a 36 and then you got a 40 ?  

not sure how many release dates have been advertised but never panned out. 4 or 5 maybe ?  most recent was oct 8 which obviously aint gonna happen. pushed back to oct22 i think now.  heard mention of nov 11 but not sure what that pertains to. at this point it wouldnt suprise me if apt is just throwing out dates to keep the prepay folks off their back

appears apt nearly burned their bridge with ktmtalk. a year of free advertising without being a site sponsor. that didnt sit well with the moderators
to much power is almost enough

Offline Vader

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »
Quote from: etccb;14245

I would personally never prepay and get on a who-knows-when wait list.  This is Business 101 not to mention common sense that tells you this company is not well capitalized and they are using prepay $$ to fund R&D and the 1st gen production orders.  It's only a few hundred bucks but puts all the risk on the buyers.
85 Missile 310R Duner
86 ATC 330R Duner
88 TRX 350R Duner
06 LTR 535 Duner

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38