TRX250r.org

Author Topic: how to check port timing on your motor  (Read 6791 times)

Offline rsss396

how to check port timing on your motor
« on: July 06, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »
Basic instructions to degree your motor

Put the piston at top dead center by eye

Attach the wheel and mount a sharpened heavy wire pointer off something solid, I use a couple of the reed cage bolts allot of times but as long as it's solid you are fine no matter where you mount it

Have the top dead center or 0 inline with the pointer

Install the piston stop

A piston stop can be a small piece of flat stock fastened down with the cylinder head nuts if the the top of the dome comes out the cylinder.

If it does not, then just drill and tap a hole in the center of the bar so you can thread a bolt in it to reach down into the cylinder.

Turn the crank counter clockwise for the Before TDC # , (the kickstart works good for this but put your hand in the cylinder to slow the piston down so it doesn't slam against the stop with the piston dome)

Write down the number you see on the wheel, for example we will say 18 is on the wheel

Now turn the motor clockwise until you are against the piston stop again, this will be your After TDC # ( when turning clockwise be careful that you do not move the degree wheel if you are going to turn it from the nut holding the wheel on)

Write down the number you see on the wheel, for example we will say 14 is on the wheel

So now we need to move the wheel or move the pointer, we will want to split the difference of 18 and 14 which will be 16

So with the piston against the piston stop either roll the wheel 2 degrees or mover the pointer 2 degrees so it at 16 degrees.

So you should now be at 16 degrees After TDC and now turn the motor counter clock wise again back to Before TDC and it should also be at 16 degrees, if not slightly adjust the pointer so it is. But always keep rolling the motor back and forth until your wheel gives you the same amount of degrees Before and After TDC.

Once you have done this you have found the true TDC

Now you can remove or leave the piston stop, I leave it on and sometimes double check that it still ok if I bump the pointer while working.

Now you can check your exhaust port numbers, I don't count the bevel of the port but some people do so porting numbers are different among builders.

If your exhaust port opens at:

90 than you have 180 degrees of exhaust port duration ( amount of crank degrees the port is open)

88- 184

86 - 188

84 - 192

82 - 196

80 - 200

78 - 204

The transfers get a little tricky depending on your degree wheel

I use a motion pro and after the the 90 degree mark the numbers start to count downward back to zero at BDC

So I can explain this so all wheels make sense I will give both ways

The first number given is a degree wheel that is 0 to 360 degrees

The second is a typical MotionPro style with 0 to 90 then 90 to 0

Third number is the total amount of crank egress the transfer port is open ( transfer port duration)

transfers opening at:

118 or 62 = 124 transfer port duration

117 or 63 = 126

116 or 64 = 128

115 or 65 = 130

114 or 66 = 132

113 or 67 = 134
Anyone looking for a great builder I highly recommend the following.
For CP products dealers I would recommend:
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline rsss396

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 11:34:16 PM »
If you buy this wheel it has port durations written on it

If the whole piston stop method confuses you then there is also a dial indicator like JJ&A sells that screws in the spark plug hole to setup your degree wheel for TDC

I own a dial indicator and honestly I think a piston stop is slightly faster and maybe slightly more accurate.
When a piston approaches TDC the crank movement is much more than the piston movement and you have to pay close attention to the indicator to find TDC.

link to a free printable degree wheel

http://www.zeeltronic.com/images/degree_wheel_128mm.pdf
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:06:58 AM by rsss396 »
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline Polonda

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »
GREAT POST!  Your a asset to the forum!  Sorry for .net.

Just a heads up you can also print wheels off on CD/DVD labels and stick them on a disc.  For the more budget minded/cheap skates.  :playful:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:10:55 AM by Polonda »

Offline rsss396

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 11:57:33 PM »
thanks we need to have some stickys for the basic stuff like this

Offline fearlessfred

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:13:19 AM »
this kind of info, will make this site a step above all others, thanks

Offline Polonda

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:13:35 AM »
Yes we do!  How to calculate UCCR should be next on the list, followed by calculating
 MSV.  Can't get to technical if you ask me.  Love the technical aspect of a 2 stroke!

Offline All250R

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 03:23:59 AM »
Quote from: rsss396;1328
If you buy this wheel it has port durations written on it

Dave the port durations are also a function of rod angle in addition to shaft degrees.

Offline RIDE-RED 350r

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 07:11:33 AM »
Great sticky!

Thank you for that!  :)

Offline rsss396

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 01:03:43 PM »
Here is a link for the guys that want to measure from the deck to the port window, I dont like this way of doing it but everyone does things differantly

http://www.torqsoft.net/piston-position.html#measure

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38