TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Another 450 Hybrid Build (for the wife)  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Pricecheck

Another 450 Hybrid Build (for the wife)
« on: January 10, 2014, 04:25:47 PM »
Like my last build I like to give a brief intro to this.  In the past I was getting rid of some parts and Dan wanted some stuff and he offered to trade an 88 frame for it.  I traded for the possibility to eventually build a four stroke for my wife since she wants to do more things together.  I had no issue with getting to build another R, especially one that would challenge me.

While I was deployed I already started a spreadsheet of how the parts attached to each other and I came up with a vey nice flow utilizing the colors of her choosing.  Pink, white and black with minimal chrome.

Just recently I picked up an 08 yfz450 engine with all electrical, the key, carb, motor mounts, case saver and oil tank.  I picked it up shipped for $1125.  This wasn't too bad since all I ever saw was $1700 and up for just the engine.  Being this was an 88 I knew I wanted to stick with its geometry.  I'm going to get into the frame a little more on hers and make sure all items are purchased and fit before it gets powder coated.  My plans are to get it all fitted and use Puma's gusset kit in addition to what it'll need for the different motor.

Here's a brief break down of the parts I want to use.  I'm not just going for a basic hybrid that pretty much just uses a different motor.  I'm going all out without going retarded.  You never go full retard!

Frame: 88 TRX250R
Engine: 08 YFZ450
Swingarm: TRX450R
Pivot Bolt: TRX450R
Brake Stay and Bushing: TRX250R
Carrier (shimmed to fit): TRX250R
Axle: +1 - +2 TRX250R style aftermarket
Rear Rotor: TRX250R
Rear Master Cylinder: TRX450R
Rear Caliper: TRX450R
Rear Hubs: TRX250R
A-Arms: +2 400EX style aftermarket
Front Spindles: 400EX
Front Hubs: TRX450R
Front Rotors: TRX250R
Front Calipers: YFZ450
Levers: ASV
Front Brake Reservoir: TRX450R
Throttle: 400EX
Steering Stem: +1 Aftermarket
Radiator: 1986 TRX250R (I have it on hand)
Wheels: Probably Hiper Tech3's
Tires: 22"/20' GBC XC Master
Tank: Black Clarke stock capacity (I have on hand)
Plastic: Full fender (white in color)
Exhaust: A good low-mid YFZ pipe and silencer
Intake: TRX250R stock box w/ K&N w/ outerwears
Front Bumper: Z400
Grab Bar:  TRX250R
Skid Plate: Custom made from HDPE (same stuff from cutting boards and snow park boxes and rails)
Rear Skid Plate: TRX450R style aftermarket
Nerf Bars: TRX450R Alba with heel guards (black)
Bars: TRX250R style aftermarket
Stabilizer: CCP
Clamps: Precision shock and vibe or utilize anti-vibe stem
Grips: ODI Rogue
Lighting: Undecided
Battery: Need to make custom tray in central location
Front Suspension: Fox Evol Float
Rear Suspension: Fox Podium
Linkage: Adjustable

I personally like the ease of use on the Fox Float's and they will serve great since I'll be hopping on this just as much.  It's going to be built for XC and it will be built tough as well.

Offline sameltoe

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 05:40:12 PM »
Thats all we get?? Is a pic of some yamacrack?? Jk should be a kewl build! I love me some xc!
Arens, Arsfx, BHP363
Arens, lsr dc2 no link, lsr dc4, BHP363

Offline Pricecheck

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 06:23:09 PM »
Ha! That is it for now. Just a crappy pic and a wish list!

She told me I can't drop money in it until we move. Besides, I have the pit bike to finish, my engine to break in and this new tank to finish building.

Offline Pricecheck

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 09:13:47 PM »
Nothing big on the update.  I've been taking advantage of the better weather and I've been taking the Harley out and breaking in my engine so I haven't tinkered much.

I was able to cut off the lower motor mounts to the frame and order a 450r pivot bolt for super cheap.  As of now the engine needs to swing downwards in the front just a little.  Doing this will require the bottom frame triangulated pieces to be cut out and fabbed up in a different manner.  My stock tank pingle thing is also hitting the head among other things that are too close for my liking.  I'm thinking of making some sort of quick disconnect fuel tank thing.  I'm saying this because there won't be any way of getting the plug out with the clearance and the way that the head is designed.

It's going to take more effort than I thought to mount this thing but I will get it done.  Once that's complete I will be making a custom oil tank to sit down in the frame to allow air flow to hit the engine.  The battery will sit on the frame below the radiator or somewhere in that area.  Not too much room on our frames.  Before you ask about a kicker conversion I'll stop it.  This is for my wife and she wants electric start.  Just like with the engine mounting, I'll make it work.  Better yet, it'll look good!

Offline clacy114

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 08:52:29 PM »
Have you made any progress on your xc build?

Offline Pricecheck

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 12:22:38 AM »
Things shifted some. Being in the army I am limited on weight but even more so on space. Usually it isn't an issue but I just moved to Alaska in Sept. so I left it in storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38