TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Timing curves  (Read 25885 times)

Offline rsss396

Timing curves
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:56:42 PM »
well I thought I would post some of this info for referance

Anyone looking for a great builder I highly recommend the following.
For CP products dealers I would recommend:
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline rsss396

Timing curves
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:00:20 PM »
I just want to note that the under 1000-1500rpms on my older graphs may not be exactly right, the graph when you start out at 0 degrees and 0 rpm ramps up to the first whole number.
I kind of lost my notes of exactly when these cdi's turned on but in the case of the new cr125-250 ignitions they turn on and start at 9 degrees of advance.
Sorry for the confusion
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline rsss396

Timing curves
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 12:13:33 AM »
I want to add these maps to show you the possiabilites with differant cdi boxes yet the same amount of total timing at peak rpm.
If you look at most single cylinder 250-500cc motors in atv's they normally peak around the 8500 rpm mark.
Obviously some are less and other are more and that does not mean they do not rev more but 8500 is usually very close to the peak and the rest is over-rev.
So all these curves meet at 8500 from this while on the dyno you can decide by adjusting the stator plate or changing to another CDI to add or take away timing before and after to create a wider powerband.
Basicly any year CDI, TRX or CR can be adjusted on the dyno at peak rpm to make the exact same HP, but by changing the curve you can build power before and after peak.

Offline rsss396

Timing curves
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:26:14 AM »
Just want to add that 2002-2003 CR125 cdi need to have a external grounded kill switch circuit, the 00-01 ground internally in the CDI.
If you do not add a ground then the kill circuit does not work but the CDI will fire and run the engine.
The external ground does not effect the 00-01 CDI so once you add a ground any year box will work

Offline rsss396

Timing curves
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 08:03:55 AM »
these maps show what happens when you advance the stator plate

2000 cr250 CDI

2001 cr250 CDI

Offline rsss396

Timing curves
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 08:06:21 AM »
Here is a 250R VORTEX these have 10 maps built in them, unfortantly during the short time I had this my bench tester burned up a circuit board and I did not get all 10 maps

Offline rsss396

Timing curves
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:43:32 PM »
Thought I would post up Jim's CR250 ignition with a lighting coil timing curve compared to the 2001 cr250-cr125

System seams to be of a nice quality not sure who builds it but it does seam to be the same manufacture Service Honda uses for the cr500 ignition.
When I went to the Service Honda website the wire schematic matched perfectly and looks to be simular.

here is a picture of the BDT flywheel compared to a 2001 CR250 flywheel, BDT's flywheel has a 200 gram weight added to it.
That would make the the bike feel closer to a stock style flywheel but probably still rev quicker since its much smaller diameter

BDT flywheel on the scale

Stock 2001 CR250

Offline rsss396

Timing curves
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 12:03:16 AM »
Thanks Dan!

here is what the CDI and stator look like along with the adapter plate

Offline rsss396

Timing curves
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 05:38:16 PM »
heres is the Service Honda / BDT lighting coil CR ignition with added timing

Offline rsss396

2002-2003 cr250 ignition w/esr's mounting plate
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »
Here is the results from the ESR mounting plate and 2002-2003 CDI's The curves kind of surprised me that they were shaped like they were but I double checked everything and this is what I came up with

Here is the 00-03 CR250 CDI's grouped together:

Here is with the 00-01 CR125's added in:

Here is what the 02 and 03 boxes look like with advance built in by adjusting the stator plate, the stator plate will allow you to add about 4 degrees of advance.

Offline rsss396

Timing curves
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
UPDATE:
I had a chance to check a actual Service Honda ignition last weekend and as predicted it mapped exactly the same as the BDT ignition, but there is one difference in the kit and that is the fact that they have a stator mounting plate that works on the cr500 not the cr250.
So in order to use a Service Honda kit you will have to swap the stator mounting plate or machine the service Honda plate larger to the size of the cr250.
Just one note in order to swap the stator plate to a cr250 you would have to cut the wires of the stator and re-solder them after mounting the stator on the new plate

Offline rsss396

Timing curves
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »

Offline rsss396

Timing curves
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
I have checked Jon's 1998 CR250 ignition looks pretty good its pretty consistent with the 00-01 curves with about 2 degrees less advance so all Jon needs to do is advance the stator plate a couple degrees and he will be almost exactly the same.

Offline turtlesteak

Timing curves
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 10:51:44 PM »
Thanks heaps.

Offline 5thgeartapped

Timing curves
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »
Will a 2003 cr 125 cdi  work on a 2001 cr  125

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38