TRX250r.org

Author Topic: need help finding a 96-98 YZ250 wiring diagram - going to try to mate to a cr250 ign  (Read 9653 times)

Offline rsss396

a little mad scientist project, just bought a cheap 96-98 yz250 cdi that looks to have the same plug as the 00-01 cr250 cdi. But I need to double check the wire inputs to the cdi, I may have to move terminals in the plug to match the cdi.

any help would be appreciated, and after I get this figured out I will test it on my test bench and map it out. If this works and the curve looks good it will be another option for us besides the over priced 01 boxes being sold
Anyone looking for a great builder I highly recommend the following.
For CP products dealers I would recommend:
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline pinned250r

Dave, you are a mad scientist! I think i have an owners manual for 89-01 yamaha models(a doc my uncle "barrowed" when going through school). If so i will gladly share!
I ride PINNED! Therefore, no bdt in this household.

Offline rsss396

thanks i would appreciate it!
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline Langbolt

If a 2001 is similar....here's a link to the Yamaha Website with full manuals.....and their FREE! They say they are Owners Manuals.....but when you download it...it is a SERVICE Manual :)

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/services/owner-manuals/index.aspx

Offline pinned250r

Hey Dave I'm sorry, my file is just 95-01 ATV's, not any bikes. :/ but I will contact my uncle to see if he has anymore!

Offline rsss396

Thank Langbolt I will try that , thanks for checking Colin!

Offline DnB_Racing

Quote from: rsss396;27784
Thank Langbolt I will try that , thanks for checking Colin!

langbolt it only goes back to 2001

Offline rsss396

yeah 2001 wont help, but after other searching I did notice one problem, the yamaha's run  high speed and low speed coils which I am not sure that I can just run both the high and low speed circuits tied together or not?
I have a 86 cr500 ignition with the same high speed low speed coil setup but have never tried to run them in this fasion

Offline udontknowme

250sx cdi might be worth testing if it will work. if i see any for cheap ill let you know. the newer ones also have 2 curves built in
to much power is almost enough

Offline rsss396

I looked at the 250sx but it has a different style plug than the honda 00-01 style

i am sure we could make allot of different cdi's work but since I had this 8 prong setup honda uses then I thought I would try to make something work if it had the same plug

this high and low circuit on the Yamaha has me concerned it may not work thieving the 2 circuits together

i think I seen a kx setup also but I will play with first

Offline udontknowme

maybe with the cdi, wire harness, coil and killswitch it might work ?   the connection from the stator to the wireharness is a small sqaure one if i recall. maybe just got one of them for the honda stator wires ?   i havent looked how mine is wired. was just going off a quick glance from the wiring diamgram
to much power is almost enough

Offline rsss396

really trying to keep this simple at least for me, I have the 8 pin style plug used on the 00-01 cr250 and this plug is a perfect match to the YZ250 CDI. I just need to sort out the wiring inputs and out puts since I am sure they are in a different layout. The goal is hopefully only to have to rearrange the pins in the head of the CR250 plug to match the YZ cdi.
I ended up buying the short wiring harness the YZ uses between the cdi and stator along with ign coil and kill switch. The wire colors of the harness should help me better understand the wiring diagram I have found on the net and to which terminal of the cdi each goes to. Be patient on this project I am really busy with the job and building my snomoquad right now, this project is just a little side thing that I will get around to later but hope to come up with a alternative for all of us that maybe reasonable in cost.

Offline pinned250r

Snomoquad!??! Now i need details on this Dave. Cant wait to see it beating on Jeremy's wife and her shee haha.

Offline rsss396

Nothing new I have had my snomoquad since 2008 but I have sold it and it will be gone after I get it back together
It will still be around, a guy in southwest MI bought it and he will be at silverlake with and the small race track near him.

Offline rsss396

Mad scientist project failed :(  the high speed low speed stator/cdi setup does not fire with just the high speed hooked. I thought about getting creative with wiring the low speed into the circuit but the project was getting away from what I had hoped for it to be and that was just a simple rearrangement of the wires in the CR250 stator plug to work with the YZ250 cdi

oh well until the next brain storm :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38