TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Mini-tooth  (Read 37541 times)

Offline Pumashine

Mini-tooth
« on: April 07, 2014, 10:01:48 AM »
So this is where you post long term projects. This ones so old I believe it was conceived on the old site. I posted pics somewhere of the bottom end I was starting with. Oh well, all is not lost. A year later I get the center cases back from Pete at Hybrid. I had been waiting for 3 years for Calvin at CP industries to cast a small bore saber. It was always on a back burner. So Pete got 2 Saber cylinders from Calvin last year at this time. These are cast as a drag port and do not make good duning machines. So Pete asked Calvin to send the port layouts of the Saber to advanced sleeve. He then modified the port layout to accommodate a dune machine and a super mini tooth drag machine. Pete took this on as a personal project as he wanted a little more power than he had gotten out of Cory's Super Puma now owned by Motofool Will. 6 months later the sleeves had been made and installed. Pete picked up a 5 mill stroker crank from another customer who was not going to use it. All bearings were removed. Tranny sent out for Cryro. The cases were bead blasted and trenched. Filled the area with epoxy to support the cylinder sleeve.

Gave the cases a bath in lacquer wash and got all sand out of the hidden places. Put on a coat of red polyurethane. This was followed by a red metallic I picked out for this build.

Puma 408, Puma 431,  Pilot 412, Puma 431, Mini-tooth 486 Trx450r
89mm  Mini tooth Shearer in frame pipe chromed! With Cascade  Q

Offline rsss396

Mini-tooth
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »
Very nice Tony, cant wait to see how it turns out for you! Is arlan building you a pipe for it?
Anyone looking for a great builder I highly recommend the following.
For CP products dealers I would recommend:
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline etccb

Mini-tooth
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:39:54 AM »
This will be some nice R eye candy to watch. Looking great puma. I like that red and can't wait to see this build all together.

Offline havinnoj

Mini-tooth
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »
Sweet!  Any pics of the top end yet?

Offline GO OVRIT

Mini-tooth
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 01:10:49 PM »
That metallic coat really made it pop.  Who makes that polyurethane paint?

Offline Pumashine

Mini-tooth
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »
Quote from: rsss396;31055
Very nice Tony, cant wait to see how it turns out for you! Is arlan building you a pipe for it?
I was going to use a Puma shearer inframe.

Quote from: havinnoj;31063
Sweet!  Any pics of the top end yet?
 Pete just sent me the cases back for paint. He will put it together and cut the dome. I don't think I can show any port work as it is highly secret. Maybe just gonna put a coat of silver on the cylinder.

Quote from: GO OVRIT;31080
That metallic coat really made it pop.  Who makes that polyurethane paint?
The brand is Valspar. It is hard to find.

Offline patman13mia

Mini-tooth
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
Sweeeet tony!! Man that metallic red is so nice!! You can tell the experience in yours compared to mine. I'll keep practicing. Lol. Can't wait to see the rest of the bike

Offline jcs003

Mini-tooth
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 03:28:11 PM »
wow!  cant wait to see this come together.

john

Offline silverlake250r

Mini-tooth
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »
That metallic red is awesome. I wish my frame was that color.
2002 Roll Design Lobo MX

Offline havinnoj

Mini-tooth
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »
At what point during the paint process do you remove those cover plates for the cylinder, side covers, sprocket, clutch actuator, etc.?  Do you remove them once each coat sets up for a few minutes or do you cut those once all the coats are set.. or?

Offline Pumashine

Mini-tooth
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »
Quote from: havinnoj;31100
At what point during the paint process do you remove those cover plates for the cylinder, side covers, sprocket, clutch actuator, etc.?  Do you remove them once each coat sets up for a few minutes or do you cut those once all the coats are set.. or?

This is supposed to be asked in the paint thread. But I have not had time to do that one. Once your done painting you need to remove the covers and masking right away before the paint sets up. The cover for the main shaft got left on overnight. Today the main shaft cover was taken off after the paint was hard. Therefore the paint will chip as you break the cover is broken  away. I personally like to have that seal and the shifter seal left in place and just mask the seal so no chipping occurs

Went through with a razor blade this morning to remove all the paint that goes around the corner where the gasket sits. Cut some paint away where the motor mounts in the frame. Too much paint or powder leads to fitting problems later on.

Offline traxman

Mini-tooth
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
It's funny you posted this today because just yesterday this came to rest in my shop..

Offline rsss396

Mini-tooth
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 06:03:54 PM »
thats a older sabertooth cut for a power valve, thats what tony or troy needed on there builds
Anyone looking for a great builder I highly recommend the following.
For CP products dealers I would recommend:
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline atv fan 28

Mini-tooth
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 09:18:05 PM »
Traxman has been holding out on us.

Offline traxman

Mini-tooth
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »
Quote from: rsss396;31104
thats a older sabertooth cut for a power valve, thats what tony or troy needed on there builds

Your wrong rsss! It's not even a sabertooth.. :smile-new:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:32:40 PM by traxman »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38