TRX250r.org

Author Topic: 06+ 450R swinger using 250r components  (Read 1995 times)

Offline JasonB

06+ 450R swinger using 250r components
« on: April 14, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
Ok so heres my attempt at the 450r swinger conversion for the 85/86 trike guys and 86/87 TRX guys that want to try it out. Theres other threads out there but I was unable to find a solid answer about using the 250r components in a 450r swinger. Lots of people do the swaps, but normally use all 450r components which is fine and dandy, i just tried to keep it simple and done on the cheap. Most of what I type here probably wont make sense until you try this yourself, but its simple and straightforward. Anyone that can turn a wrench can fumble their way through this, i managed to

Go with the 06 and newer 450 swinger, its an inch longer than the 04/05 swingers and pretty much the same length as our 85/86 swingers. I went with an 06 450r complete rear end on my ATC500R (85atc250r based conversion) and an 07 swinger on my atc310R. The 310 got the 07 bolted up last night. I ended up using the stock 250r carrier, 250r axle (I have a durablue extended axle but the same essential parts), brakes and brake stay, and jam nut. I used the 450r swinger, 450r linkage (front link and dog bone).

I had to use the 450r swinger bearings but ended up sliding my old 250r swinger bushings/sleeves/whatever you call them into the needle bearings in the 450r swinger. The 250r sleeves are probably ¾ inch shorter than the 450r sleeves and this way everything bolted right into place on the frame with the rear motor mount and the clearance was perfect.

Pictured is the linkage mount, I had to notch it out with my sawzall for the front linkage to have enough downward travel to clear the frame. Nothing major. I don’t have ‘after pics’ to ad right now, but it’s a minor amount of material to remove, probably about ¼-1/2 inch of material from the very back edge. It will make sense when you get in there to do it. Disregard the sand from Little Sahara, i havent had a chance to wash the bike since we got back from that ride ;)

Here is a link to the aussie guys that have done this swap using mostly 450r parts, but you will find a pic of the notch you need to cut out of the frame in this thread. and lots of colorful pics ;D

http://www.ozatv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5459

I had extra junk laying around that I used to fab up a few pieces. By ‘fab’ I mean I cut and grinded them down lol no fancy lathe or cnc here  . I used an old swinger bushing from a 250r cut in half to fill the space on the front linkage for the frame, there’s like 20mm or something to that extent on both sides of the front link that need to filled with something so it stays put in the middle. I cut the sleeve in half and ran a bolt through it and tightened everything down after a good dose of grease was slathered inside the sleeve halves and link bearing.

250r Carrier bolted into the 450r swinger with no issues. It sits off center by a few MM since it’s a tad bit wider than the 450r swinger carrier housing, but with the 4 clamping bolts tight its not going anywhere. I moved it over just a hair to get chain alignment where I thought it was perfect.

There is a little sleeve that the brake caliper stay sits on for the side of the swinger. No clue where I found the sleeve I used or what it came from, but I grinded down two sides of it to make it resemble the stock sleeve but it has a flared back to it so it will actually stay sandwiched between the swinger and brake caliper stay since I was unable to get the 250r sleeve to clip on. I am sure the 450r sleeve for the brake caliper stay may work but I used what I had on hand since the swinger didn’t come with one. Gotta be creative!

The stock 250r shock bolted onto the linkage. I ended up using a smaller bolt for one part of the linkage because the linkages for the 450r use a smaller diameter bolt than the 250r does. I will ad pics, but for the most part it wasn’t an extremely hard install and I was able to get it done with only 75$ worth of a 2007 swinger and 450r linkage and my existing 250r axle and brake components. Def a good swap if you want to go for a lighter swinger to replace your old stock cracked swinger or an extended impractical swinger.

I will take some pics of the bike tonight and how it sits, and some close ups of the front linkage and the brake stay sleeve and other parts. I am running an ebay 45$ adjustable rear link for lowering the bike's ride height on the atc500r bike. I was told using the stock 450r linkages will give the bike too tall of a ride height. I planned on buying another 45$ lowering link but after getting the bike assembled and sitting on its own wheels i think the ride height is perfect. pics soon
ATC500R
ATC310R

Offline JasonB

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »

Not completely done but here's some shots.

ATC500R
ATC310R

Offline JasonB

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
its not cleaned up yet or complete. i have to go back through and clean a few things up, and finish buttoning someother items up. for now its on. I just re did the top end; at little sahara ride we had end of March my engine consumed enough sand to eat up the rings. I took it apart and tossed some new rings in, she runs again but i still have to go back through and clean the bike up and finish bolting the little stuff on like the tank and pipe etc.
ATC500R
ATC310R

Offline mx250r91

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 12:07:43 AM »
Looks great! I want to do this swap to my '85 someday. One question I have is about where the linkage mounts to the frame. The 250R uses a 12mm bolt but the 450R linkage uses 10mm bolts. Did you drill out or make a new bushing for the linkage to use the 12mm 250R bolt or modify the holes in the frame to use a long 10mm bolt?

Offline JasonB

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:50:33 PM »
I drank more beers than probably should be consumed during a project of this nature lol. Im 90% I used a 12mm that had a sleeve (non threaded where it goes through the linkage) and just set the short tiny sleeve aside that normally sits inside the link. The link is solid on the bolt, theres no slop to it so im somewhat sure it will be fine. Trust me, i live just down the street from a Holiday Inn
ATC500R
ATC310R

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38