TRX250r.org

Author Topic: My Honda/Banshee rebuild  (Read 10613 times)

Offline Leftynanners

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:21:13 PM »
Hello everybody! Well since we have a new hybrid section I figure I'd show mine off. I have an 86 250r chassis that has a Banshee engine fitted into it. Here's how it looked when I bought it:

I've always loved Banshee's and have tinkered around with them a lot. I was in the process of building a nice duner Banshee a while ago; but wasn't able to finish because my frame guy ended up keeping my frame and a lot of my money (don't want to get into it). But I've always had a garage full of Banshee parts and no chassis to stick it in. So I'm actually pretty excited that I can continue my project.

Here's how she sits right now with new a-arms, shocks, footpegs and tires:

Here's a close-up of the rezzie's on the shocks (Evan at Schmidty Racing kicks ass):

Offline Leftynanners

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 04:21:52 PM »
Here's the engine that's going in there:

New nosepiece and new swingarm in the background:

And a filing cabinet full of parts:

It's going to be a while before I finish since I have other things to take care of. But I will be updating this thread with any progress that is made! Maybe now I'll have even more motivation to finish.

Offline Rupp250

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
Very cool.
DRAG- Puma in a Ziggy Chassis
TRAIL -86  250R ported stock cylinder
DUNER -86 250R  Flinstone

Offline Deuce

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:28:20 PM »
Very cool, keep it up
Braaaaap

Offline Leftynanners

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »
Thanks for the compliments everybody!

Quote from: danhung11;3010
Very cool. I've always wanted a Banshee full Laeger. There's actually one for sale on ATVriders, but he put a R motor in it. I don't think he knows what he has to be honest.

I've seen a couple Banshee's like that and I honestly don't understand the appeal. I personally think the R looks a lot slicker than the Banshee. It seems like a downgrade when somebody has an R motor and a Banshee body.

Offline jcs003

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »
how bought a custom radiator to fit between the front frame rails?

john

Offline Leftynanners

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 05:04:20 AM »
Quote from: jcs003;3258
how bought a custom radiator to fit between the front frame rails?

john
I thought about it for a long time. But it honestly seems like a lot of time and a lot of money to fix something that IMO is not really that big of an issue. Plus I don't want to potentially run into a situation where my bike is overheating from a long dune ride. There's nothing that discourages me more than spending a lot of time doing something, only to realize that it worked better before I decided to start touching stuff.

Offline jcs003

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 07:48:05 AM »
Quote from: Leftynanners;3371
I thought about it for a long time. But it honestly seems like a lot of time and a lot of money to fix something that IMO is not really that big of an issue. Plus I don't want to potentially run into a situation where my bike is overheating from a long dune ride. There's nothing that discourages me more than spending a lot of time doing something, only to realize that it worked better before I decided to start touching stuff.

there might be a street bike radiator that will fit between the frame rails.  if you remember mickey dunlap(four stroke tech) put a street bike rad in his 500cc 400ex liquid cooled build.  the 400ex and the 250r are close in geometry in that area.  maybe give him a call and find out what rad he used.  just a thought

john

Offline Piediddy

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 07:55:42 AM »
That's a cool project, I actually thought about doing this after having multiple tranny problems on BB R motors. Built rite banshee motors are fun and reliable, and have the geometry and look of an R.

Offline MANIAK

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 02:20:46 AM »
I had the opportunity to ride a full Laeger Banshee, it was amazing. I have an 89 tirdshee that I would kill for a Laeger chassis for, that is I'd have to kill for it cause I ain't got any $$$$ to by one... LOL

Offline 1986quadracer

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »
This is one of the coolest hybrids ever! This is now on my bucket list! One SWEET AZZ MACHINE!!!!!!! DANG!

Offline Leftynanners

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 02:01:35 AM »
Thanks! The build has been chugging along very slowly. I keep finding new things wrong with it. But it's almost done!

Offline Hawaiiysr

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 02:13:03 AM »
Well where  R the updates with limited pictures buddy?

Offline 1986quadracer

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 09:03:01 AM »
More pics please:)

Offline Leftynanners

My Honda/Banshee rebuild
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »
There's not really much more to post. But here's a couple pics (please mind the mess). The only notable additions to the bike are a new rear end, lsr steering stem, and prm bumper that I'm almost done polishing. I still need to send the rear shock to get it rebuilt/revalved. The bike should have been finished already but my rear brakes were shot. Everything was frozen. Luckily Jon Safarian at Sandtoyz was nice enough to sell me a caliper from one of his personal bikes. I'm just waiting on a new master cylinder to come in and it should be ready to roll.

The lighting is terrible in my garage so everything that's polished doesn't really look polished lol. I haven't dropped the new engine in yet. I want to dial in braking and suspension stuff first before I start adding the go-fast parts. I also decided not to go with the other set of plastics. I'd have to cut them to make them work, and I think I'd get tarred and feathered out of here if anybody knew that I butchered a mint set of fullbores haha

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38