TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Should I change a-arms??  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Trusty2stroke

Should I change a-arms??
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:52:58 PM »
I currently have a set of Standard width Laegers arms for my bike with a set of 3-2 wheels, it seems this was a popular setup back in the day but now it looks like everyone uses +2 arms with 4-1 wheels. What is the benefit if the width of those two combos are about the same at 46" wide??
Put that hammer down and give it hell!!

Offline trx250scar

Should I change a-arms??
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:53:20 PM »
4+1 reduces bump steer

Offline fearlessfred

Should I change a-arms??
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 08:23:03 PM »
4+1 don't really reduce bump steer all though most people think they do. A lot of people use them when using 3 plus to get the width under 50 wide.Other than that there main benefit is when running short motocross tires.From the factory your tires pivot almost in their centerline ,when you start moving the wheel from this centerline it makes the wheel turn in an arch and gives the wheel and ground you going over a mechanical advantage over you,making it like a lever .the further you move the wheel out the worse it will get.A shorter tire moves the wheel from the center and can be corrected with the 4+1 wheels .From the factory the wheels are very slightly outside of there pivot and that is called scrub and give you a feel of the terrain.scrub can be inward or outward of the center pivot.In my opinion 4+1 are only needed when using short tires or used to keep under 50 inchs.If Honda could have reduced bumpsteer by simply having a different offset rim,they would have done it.the fact is  ,they had it perfect for the size tire that came on the bike.bumpsteer is a change in wheel direction caused from the travel of the suspension

Offline Tbone07

Should I change a-arms??
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
Bump steer is the change in toe when the suspension goes through it's travel. 4:1 offset rims will indeed reduce the effects of bump steer, along with tie-rod angle and a few other factors, but it won't solve all of it.

Is there a maximum width you'd like like to maintain? What type of riding are you doing?
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline Trusty2stroke

Should I change a-arms??
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 11:51:33 PM »
I do a mix of trails, open gravel bars, and lookin to try a few gncc races. The trails can get tight sometimes so I don't want to be any wider than 47". The bike handled like it was on rails which was great for the woods but at high speed cornering it was very tipsy.

Offline fearlessfred

Should I change a-arms??
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 12:23:27 AM »
Quote from: Tbone07;48496
Bump steer is the change in toe when the suspension goes through it's travel. 4:1 offset rims will indeed reduce the effects of bump steer, along with tie-rod angle and a few other factors, but it won't solve all of it.

Is there a maximum width you'd like like to maintain? What type of riding are you doing?
If a 250r s toe in changed two inchs when the front is full compressed how  much would it change with 4+1 . exactly the same,it doesn't matter what the offset is the bumpsteer will be the same.the effects of overly offsets are worse than the amount of bumpsteer the r has .ball joint centerline height can and will change bumpsteer ,but unless you have changed it from what Honda had your not going to improve on it much

Offline fearlessfred

Should I change a-arms??
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 12:35:40 AM »
Quote from: Trusty2stroke;48503
I do a mix of trails, open gravel bars, and lookin to try a few gncc races. The trails can get tight sometimes so I don't want to be any wider than 47". The bike handled like it was on rails which was great for the woods but at high speed cornering it was very tipsy.
If you went with +2 arms you would need to at least respring the shock or the tipsy feeling would be worse 4+1 rims will give you a neutral feeling in the bars .geometry and math don't lie.google kingpin inclination to have a better understanding

Offline Trusty2stroke

Should I change a-arms??
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 02:26:26 AM »
I have a set of axis shocks waiting to be revalved for whatever combo I end up going with so now I just need to decide haha. Its either get my current arms powdered/new ball joints, find a used set of arms,  or cough up the money for a set of JD arms. I also have a set of 4-1 hipers if I decide to go +2 arms.

Offline rk88r

Should I change a-arms??
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 01:03:31 AM »
Longer arms and 4-1 rims will reduce feedback and scrub even if bumpsteer is geometrically correct.
\'99 Laeger narrow, cr link, +3+1 protrax, Peps, with a LED 363
\'88 265 pv peps
One other \'88

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38