TRX250r.org

Author Topic: air book/ snorkle  (Read 8294 times)

Offline dem3500

air book/ snorkle
« on: February 10, 2015, 10:18:15 AM »
What does everyone run for airboxes? I've been back am fourth with myself about what to do. I have an aftermarket open top aluminum airbox. I was thinking about making a lid like the ROBL boxes have but I'm not sure if I want to run a fully closed box with a snorkel. Really all I want to do is pick your brains to see what you all run.
Facebook.com/toonutzcreations

Offline etccb

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 10:39:30 AM »
I believe a lot of gncc guys run with an outerwears air box cover and an outerwears on the filter.

Offline dem3500

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 10:44:43 AM »
OK well that's easy to do and one of the options I was thinking about. I have a outerwear on my filter at the moment. The airbox outerwear lids are pretty cheap and is probably the easiest route lol

Offline Rockingkfarms

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:30:03 PM »
Depending on the conditions...either an oem airbox w lid or an oem airbox w lid removed and furnace filter material as a shield.  Foam filters only...Twin air or Uni.

Offline dem3500

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:48:58 AM »
I like the furnace filter idea! Anybody else care to share what they run?

Offline croat1

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 12:27:57 AM »
1. aftermarket air box with outerwears "lid" mounted (Velcro)
2. stock airbox with snorkel tubes and an EHS Racing lid

as mentioned only use foam filters with the added protection of an outerwear on it.

EHS Racing lid:

Offline dem3500

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 05:32:28 AM »
I like the idea of the stock box with the snorkel tubes but I'd have to search for a good deal lol

Offline Jerry Hall

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 10:21:14 AM »
Quote from: dem3500;50032
What does everyone run for airboxes? I've been back am fourth with myself about what to do. I have an aftermarket open top aluminum airbox. I was thinking about making a lid like the ROBL boxes have but I'm not sure if I want to run a fully closed box with a snorkel. Really all I want to do is pick your brains to see what you all run.

The best airbox and filter depends upon the type of riding and the power potential of your engine.  The air filters that fit into the stock air box start showing power losses  or (jetting needing to be leaned down to compensate for the filter restriction) when the power levels start exceeding around 45 HP.  The outer ware type lids or lids that have outer ware type material restrict the filters in a stock box even more.  The surface area of the lid is less than the typical outer ware that wraps around a filter in a stock air box.  

The big bore engines or 250s over 50 HP need more filter surface area to maximize the needed airflow and improved resonate conditions that open filters provide.  It is a tough decision for owners that may encounter wet or muddy conditions.

Offline dem3500

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 10:26:39 AM »
What about an aluminum air box with a outerwear that is the size of the entire opening of the box with a stock snorkel? I have a 310 with a UM airbox.

Offline dem3500

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 01:12:56 PM »
OK I picked up a stock snorkel off eBay. When it gets here I'll see what it will take to fit it to my UM airbox. I searched around and can't find anyone who has done it before so I guess I'm on my own lol

Offline Tbone07

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 02:49:19 PM »
I think having your only air intake as the snorkel will choke off too much air from your engine, depending on the size of your engine and the power you're making.

open box, foam filter w/outerwear, maybe an outerwear airbox lid if need be.

My buddies who have 450r's stuff these foam sheets in their airbox and have good luck

http://www.unifilter.com/accessories/
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline dem3500

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
I have a 310 PV.
The foam is a cool idea!
I'm going to try with a outerwear lid and with a snorkel only. I'll use my ass dyno to tell if the snorkel is robbing too much power or not. I can always run either of them depending on the current track conditions. I would just have to keep track of jetting so it would be a quick changeover

Offline RyanWsly

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 10:38:37 PM »
I use a piece of washer hose or that flexible hose off of a pool so I can snake it through all the added stuff on mine instead of the stock snorkel setup. I also run a lid with a opening and a deflector attached to it similar to a HRC lid on a 450R, open hole on the bottom so it will free flow when water comes in.

Offline dem3500

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 07:22:33 AM »
Quote from: RyanWsly;50687
I use a piece of washer hose or that flexible hose off of a pool so I can snake it through all the added stuff on mine instead of the stock snorkel setup. I also run a lid with a opening and a deflector attached to it similar to a HRC lid on a 450R, open hole on the bottom so it will free flow when water comes in.
i like your idea with the flexible hose. if the stock snorkel chokes off too much power for me i will look into your hose idea

Offline dem3500

air book/ snorkle
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 11:44:12 AM »
does anyone using the stock snorkel use the stock splash guard up under the hood?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38