TRX250r.org

Author Topic: DIY fender cutting templates  (Read 5153 times)

Offline broken1

DIY fender cutting templates
« on: May 30, 2015, 04:48:23 AM »
Got these front fenders in a parts lot with a big chunk missing from the right side. They've seen better days but I wanted to try to salvage them & match both sides, so I made a template out of 1" blue tape:

Drew some witness marks. I started by holding the pencil tight to the plastic & following the contour. It doesn't matter where you put the witness marks as long as the measurements are taken from the same place on both sides:

Next I laid down the tape & smoothed it out & transfered the witness marks to the template, than put on a second layer to make it more stable when removing:

Trimmed the edge with an x-acto knife:

Pulled it off, flipped it over & transfered it to the other side lining it up with the corresponding witness marks:

Traced the edge & trimmed the pastic with a die-grinder cut off wheel chucked in a B&D drill & finished the edges with sand paper:
overkill is an often underrated achievement

Offline ESS330R

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:23:36 PM »
Came out good!

Offline Big_Mike

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 01:20:00 AM »
Looks awesome!  I plan on cutting mine exactly like your!  Did you use a sawzall, die grinder, hack saw???

Offline Skeans1

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »
When I trimmed mine I used a router and a flapper wheel on a die grinder.

Offline Pumashine

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 07:24:51 PM »
Sometimes you just have to use what you got. A jig saw works good. If you stand your band saw up it will work also.  Sander belt or flap wheel for finishing/even up
Puma 408, Puma 431,  Pilot 412, Puma 431, Mini-tooth 486 Trx450r
89mm  Mini tooth Shearer in frame pipe chromed! Mounted with Cascade QUIET[/

Offline Grande huevos

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 10:22:01 PM »
Quote from: Big_Mike;55788
Looks awesome!  I plan on cutting mine exactly like your!  Did you use a sawzall, die grinder, hack saw???

I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel. It was very easy to control and cut with. It made clean cuts that didn't require hardly any sanding at all

Offline broken1

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 01:19:04 AM »
Quote from: Big_Mike;55788

I took the cutoff wheel out of my diegrinder & chucked it up in a 3/8" corded drill. I had to be quiet because my boy was sleeping:)
overkill is an often underrated achievement