TRX250r.org

Author Topic: SE Quads Southern Championship Series, Round 1, Monster Mountain MX, C Class, Moto 1  (Read 3903 times)

Offline rablack21

Race Report:
Had a great weekend of racing at Monster Mountain for our round 1 opener. Man, am I sore today! I did far better than I thought I would, but still a ways to go. The C class was the largest class of the event boasting 14 racers on the gate. This was the most I have ever raced with. This track is one of the coolest and longest tracks I have ever gotten to race on. Being that this was my first race back on the track since November or 2014, I was very focused on getting through both motos without getting hurt, so I wasn't riding over my head, but I didn't putt putt around either.

Moto1:
Gates drops. I came out of the gate kinda slowly, being a little hesitant to what is about to happen. There are 14 guys rushing this first left turn corner, and I have seem several pile ups here. So I stay back just a bit, make my way around the turn just behind the main pack, and then slide my way in. My heart is pounding and there quads everywhere! I love it! I scoot in as close as I can to the guys in front of me without getting tangled. I'm hoping to just get through this race without damage and get some seat time back under my belt. I make a lap or so. The sandbaggers in my class start to pull away, and the group starts thinning. I come down the hill way too fast and hit braking bumps at the bottom. I try to make the turn, but can't and run off the track! I slam on the brakes and course correct.I take a quick glance to make sure no one is going to hit me and pop back out on the track. The track was loose is several sections so some times it was difficult not to push through a turn. I had one or two other close calls, (we'll see if you notice them in the video). I ended up finishing 9th out of 14 the first race. I was pretty happy with that, especially for moto 1 and about 3 sandbaggers in our class.

Here's the video of moto 1. Enjoy.
(Start video at about 6:30, I haven't had time to trim out the race in front of me).

[video=youtube;Sk6u1_gRazA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk6u1_gRazA[/video]

Moto 2:
So, the stakes have been raised. The series director decides to offer a $50 holeshot award for our class only, probably cause he wants to see 14 quads come off the line like a bat out of hell. Now, I'm not stupid. I have no allusions of grandeur. I race with C class guys. Generally, they are very unpredictable and partially out of control. I have no interest in getting mangled in the first time, so I again I come out of the gate a little slower than the others. To my surprise, there was no cartwheels by anyone, by I managed to slip into the middle just after the first turn. The race is on! I stay in the middle of the pack through the first lap, in 8th of 14. I start catching up to the guy in front of me. But my arm pump is increasing and I'm getting winded (yes, I'm out of shape). I get up close to him,almost pull up beside him. He pulls away a bit. I tell, "it's just not gonna happen today, Ryan". So I think, Ok, I'll just chase this guy as best I can. Atleast it will keep the guys behind me further away and keep me from fading too much. But for 3 laps we play cat and mouse. I catch up to him, almost pull up side by side, then he would slightly pull away. I was much faster in the turns than he was. We could slowing way down in the turns, I was coming in hot and hitting them hard. I almost ran in the back of him several times. Finally, I decide either I'm gonna have to pass this guy or leave him alone because it's wearing me out! So I see my chance in the last couple of turns coming in the final turn of lap 3 or 4. I pull up almost beside him; he's on the left, I'm on the right. The last turn before the finish line hill jump is a right hander. He hesitates for a second to take the inside line, since he is slightly ahead of me. I see the opportunity and take it! I hit the gas and run myself right up beside him, taking away the inside line. He takes to the outide as we race up the hill. We jump the hill with me ahead of him. Last lap! I'm so excited! I come down the next hill ridin like I stole it! I'm hammering every corner with whatever I got left. I start pulling away from him. About half way around the track my excitement adrenaline fades. I'm wore out. I come into the final track section just before where I passed him. I am so exhausted, I over shoot the berm just a little bit. I think "OH crap, He's gonna pass me back". I quickly glance back to realize he has started the turn yet. I start bouncing up and down on the seat to get out of the deep dirt/sand and hammering the throttle, and clutching it! The R gets going again and into the last turn I go. My forearm pump is go bad I'm not pushing the throttle anymore, engine starts lowering rpms lower and lower. I finally push the throttle in my the palm of my hand and get the rpms up. I race up the hill with all I have left to the checkered flag! I got 7th and passed someone on the last part of moto 2! Never have I worked so hard from something. LOL

I ended up 7th overall out of 14. Considering all things, I am very happy with my turn out. Had we not had the sandbaggers in our class, I would have been 4th. But hey, I'm still happy. Here's for the bad news. My gopro went dead just before the 2nd moto began. I didn't realize it was still turned on and drained the battery down. I literally got 3 seconds of the 2nd moto. Sorry, guys; next time. I tried my best to describe it for you. Hope you enjoyed the report.

Want to send a shoutout to all my sponsors and people who have helped my so much! Thanks guys!
Lubrication Pros/Amsoil
Maxxis Tires
Fly Racing
SSI Decals
Frankenstein MX
MXfilters.com
Eddie Sanders Racing
Technology Elevated "Smart Carb"
Odi Grips

Offline zcarlson12

Great job Ryan. Any day leaving the track with yourself and the quad in one piece is a good day. As long as you had fun, that's all that matters.
Laeger 310R

Offline Burns363R

Where you running the smart carb?
TRX 363R 02- Laeger Narrow Frame/CR500 Link, Motowoz Suspension, Roll Design +4 LT Arms,RPM Dominator +4 axle, LED 363 MX, LED 350G Pipe, 38 A/S CR Ignition

TRX 370R 86- Laeger Std,ISF-No Link Swinger, JD MGC LT Arms) Motowoz Shocks, LED 370/350D pipe, 38 A/S Carb, 200w OEM Ignition

Offline rablack21

Quote from: zcarlson12;66308
Great job Ryan. Any day leaving the track with yourself and the quad in one piece is a good day. As long as you had fun, that's all that matters.
Thanks Zak. I am bummed the 2nd video didn't turn out. I did a lot better the 2nd moto. And in case you hear some background chatter towards the end of the race, yes I talk to myself under the helmet. LOL

Quote from: Burns363R;66310
Where you running the smart carb?
Yeah, I was running the 40mm SC. It ran well for me. There was a couple places I bogged the engine, but it was due to me not clutching sometimes or being in a gear too high. Once I starting getting tired, my technique gets sloppy.

Offline Burns363R

So what are you doing for an air box?  BTW good job.  Glad to see you out racing.
TRX 363R 02- Laeger Narrow Frame/CR500 Link, Motowoz Suspension, Roll Design +4 LT Arms,RPM Dominator +4 axle, LED 363 MX, LED 350G Pipe, 38 A/S CR Ignition

TRX 370R 86- Laeger Std,ISF-No Link Swinger, JD MGC LT Arms) Motowoz Shocks, LED 370/350D pipe, 38 A/S Carb, 200w OEM Ignition

Offline rablack21

Quote from: Burns363R;66312
So what are you doing for an air box?  BTW good job.  Glad to see you out racing.
Thanks. It was good to be back out there. Unfortunately, all I have for the moment is my stock airbox and intake boot, until [MENTION=47]troybilt[/MENTION] gets done with his setup. While it is still there, the shrouding issues seems to affect the 40 billet less than it did my 38 cast. While it still doesn't run as good as it can be, it still ran significantly better than my 38 A/S.

Offline Burns363R

I had the 40mm billet and still had alot of trouble.  I got it to pull a few WOT pulls, per my videos, but never as strong as it should run.

Offline rablack21

Quote from: Burns363R;66314
I had the 40mm billet and still had alot of trouble.  I got it to pull a few WOT pulls, per my videos, but never as strong as it should run.
Same here as far as the WOT pulls. It won't go away as long as the oem intake boot is used. Hopefully, troy will have an airbox setup soon.

Offline Sand_Blaster

Hell yeah good video, thanks for the good ride report. Makes me all pumped up to race one of these days
87 Trx250r & 99 Banshee

Offline C-Leigh Racing

Where is this track located.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing, in memory of Caraleigh Pritchard
Race team for 2015
Chuckie Creech #25 TRX450R, Pro, Pro Am, Pro Am Unlimited
Andrea Creech # 25 TRX450R, Womens (National ATVA EDT)
Andrea Creech #33 TRX350R, Womens (local EDT)

If it aint got a hot weed eater 2 stroke engine, all its good for is a pit bike

Offline rablack21

Quote from: C-Leigh Racing;66374
Where is this track located.
Neil
Monster Mountain MX is in Tallassee, Alabama. The pros will be racing with us this year in June.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38