TRX250r.org

Author Topic: NEATV-MX Southwick MA race...  (Read 6628 times)

Offline Lasher 19

NEATV-MX Southwick MA race...
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »
My son and I are getting ready to ride the famous Southwick 338 motocross track this weekend with NEATV-MX. It will be our first race of the year for us and right now the quads are still on stands not touched. :) (as usual for me)...

Southwick is a sand track located in Western MA. Yes...the same track that the national bikes return to this year. I have raced this track since 2000 and seen the changes over the years. The last couple years the track is run by the guy that owns Planet Fitness and the infamous John Dowd was running the bulldozer and helping "bring the track to its former glory". :)

I am starting this thread because I am excited to go racing and detail all the stupid prep work I need to get done this week. :) I would like to tear them down completely, replacing all bearings and greasing everything, but I do not think I have time for that.

Walsh CRF Hybrid (son's)
Change oil, clean filters, grease fittings etc....
I wanted to put a new piston in (have not touched motor since brought bike to build) but I do not have the time (stupid 4 strokes).
Align front end and set up chassis.
Hunt around for a trx90 thumb throttle. My son complains about his thumb getting sore and heard trx90 has better leverage.

Walsh 250R (mine)
Motor cracked is cracked on bottom, clutch side. I keep patching it because I have another bottom end waiting on me to get the Sparks 330 cylinder resleeved. Only leaks a little oil, and again no time to fix correctly.
Change oil, clean filters, grease fittings etc....
Align front end and set up chassis.

Hopefully doing minor stuff will allow us to practice and race. We are both terribly out of shape and are idiots for attempting one of the roughest tracks in the country. But Southwick has always been a love/hate relationship. :) I will keep this updated during the week and give a race report afterwards. (if not in hospital...lol)

Offline fx4pitrone

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 01:30:26 PM »
Tuned in!

Offline Lasher 19

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 01:34:05 PM »
Fx4pitrone - I see your from CT...plan on going to race?

Offline rablack21

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:17:12 PM »
Dang dude! Nothing like waiting til the last minute. If my quad is not prepped and up to snuff by the day before the race, we ain't going. Too dangerous a sport and too far to travel not to be ready. Best of luck to you guys this weekend! Better get it in gear!

Offline Tbone07

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 06:08:42 PM »
I was really upset when I saw that Southwick was taken off the AMA MX schedule a couple years ago. God I love that track. Good to see that it's still around, and I think it even got added back to the AMA MX schedule this year.
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline fx4pitrone

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 09:14:49 PM »
Quote from: Lasher 19;67373
Fx4pitrone - I see your from CT...plan on going to race?

Nah.... I'm fat and old and 3 labrum tears.... I'll be up there watching in July but that's about it!

Offline JoePA

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 09:34:50 AM »
Good luck and keep us posted. If you run Hurricane hills We'll be up to watch, maybe even race if the schedule is open.

Offline Lasher 19

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 09:10:35 AM »
So started working on them last night....but only for a short time. Got air filters cleaned so they will be dry. (I have two ready to go but these are back ups). Forgot that my son in last season's race ran into the back of some one. Bent the adapter that holds the front plastic on the walsh frame and the bumper. A friend had the bumper since last season and finally welded it yesterday. So I installed the bumper and re-bend the walsh adaptor so the front plastic is straight.

I did not have long last night to play around but I did remember that there was a vibration in the steering stem last season. I spent some time inspecting all the welds on frame and for anything loose or broken. All bolts will be checked for torque of course, but I see nothing that would cause the issue. But I am still amazed at how nicely these Walsh frames are built. I spend years checking my old 89 frame for cracks (and finding them) before every race and when I inspect these frame...I just smile that I don't have deal with frame issues anymore.

Offline zcarlson12

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 10:45:03 AM »
How'd it go?
Laeger 310R

Offline Lasher 19

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 05:00:59 PM »
Short version...everyone safe, we had fun and broke some stuff. :)

Where did I leave off...Friday night. I started on my son's hybrid. Installed bumper (needed slight modification to fit from being welded) and noticed that the mount for the front plastic was bent to all heck. I spent time fixing that and as I started nut/bolt check I saw the air box had come in contact with the chain causing it to be ripped open. I tried to see if anything was causing it rub and I think the air box is a hair over to the side. I used some aluminum, bent to 90 degree angle and pop riveted the plastic to the aluminum. I was able to pull the airbox in enough to not hit anymore. Top off fluids, checked all nut and bolts and went to my quad.

As I was looking at my 250r, I noticed that the metal tube (with holes) was missing. All the exhaust stuff was there but no metal tube. Using some wire mess I had, I cut and bended it to fit in nicely and repacked the silencer. Now...it was getting really late at night (around 2am) and I was not even load up. I knew I had a crack in my case under the counter balancer. It leaked oil very little but has held up. I know I need to split the cases to take care of it but I did not have time nor gaskets. So off to bed I went.

Got up early on saturday and my son and I loaded up and got to the track around 11am. Went to sign up and get everything all set up to hit practice. Weather was awesome. Sunny, temp in 70s just a nice day to ride. Topped off my tranny fluid and my son and I hit the track. We both took it easy first practice, getting a feel of the quads and track. Over the next 3 hours my son and I had fun racing around hitting about 4 practice sessions. And yes...we are both horribly out of shape. LOL.

After the last practice session I noticed that my quad was leaking more oil than normal. Usually only a drip but this was more. We loaded up the quads and headed home. I cleaned my quad and pulled it into the garage and my fears were founded. The crack was now larger. I had purchased some aluminum brazing rods and tried to do that but I could not get the case hot enough to melt the rods. So I tried some powder/glue stuff that I had used before (supposed to work on all metal) and hoped for the best.

We got the track early in the morning and set up the pits area. Put up canopy, table, grill...all decked out. The temp had dropped about 20 degrees over night and was windy. So windy that it bent the legs on my canopy...bummer. It was only a year old and a nice one, but just the start of the day.

My son went out to race first. His class had between 10 and 20 riders on the gate (4 stroke C). Off the start he was outside and was able to make through the first turn without issue but at the back of the pack. He picked off some riders that crashed/stuck and was trying to catch the guy in front of him, but the guy played cat/mouse the last lap and Ryan could not pass. But I was happy that my son was trying to catch the guy rather than settle.

I was up about 3 races later. At the starting line when I was warming up my quad it did not sound right. I told my girlfriend who was down at the line that it was going to break. The gate dropped and off I went with about 8/9 other old guys (35+ class). I was at the back of the pack but right there. For the first lap me and two other riders were battling around the track. One guy got passed me when and another overshot a berm. On the second lap I was pushing to pass the riding in front of me when the quad started not running right. Like I was in the wrong gear. I thought that I would pull off when I got back around on that lap. But it started getting worse and when I went past my son by the fence, he made a hand signal that told me I was done. I pulled off the track and the quad quit. I looked underneath and this is what I found....

So my day was done. :(

Ryan's second moto was late in the day and the track was beat. This is Southwick after all... But again he was near the back on the start and rode the first lap. I told him to search out the smooth lines and watch for people stuck in ruts. He was doing well, but then his out of shape butt just that look....the look that he is not pushing it. I thought he was done but on the last lap he started catching up to a guy (or the guy was falling back lol) and Ryan went after him. About 3/4 through the last lap Ryan was able to make the pass in a turn and held him off until the checkers. Not sure of what place he came in because they have not posted results. But we had fun and he did ok. :)

Now I have to worry about getting the motor sitting on the shelf together. It is a Sparks 330 cylinder just waiting on new sleeve. I have the bottom end in a box waiting on new bearings and what not. Damage to my motor...not sure the extent yet. But I will keep this updated and probably start selling some parts I have laying around to get the other motor ready.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 07:45:19 AM »
Dang it man! That sucks. Awesome write up. I hate to hear of your poor luck. Sounds like your son did well, though.

Offline zcarlson12

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 12:21:14 PM »
Wow! That's a big chunk. Also sorry to hear about your bad luck. Good thing you have a spare lol. Post some pics of that beast.
Laeger 310R

Offline Lasher 19

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »
To me, this was not bad luck. I probably should have seen/heard/felt the signs that the bearing was going before crack. Or the least replaced it. But over the last couple years hitting the track has been one a year. Then when I saw the crack last season I should have replaced the motor but other things too priority. So prepping for this race was 2 weeks away from race date.

Trying to get other projects out of the way so I can get my quad back up and running. My youngest son just turned 13 and can race 250cc quad. Not sure if he is going to race or not (he is still on fence) but if I go with 330cc motor he is SOL. lol...maybe just do motor swap at track between races. :)

Offline 250rchris420

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 07:25:08 PM »
I live in Rhode island and want to race my R MX. Can you help me into which organization I should join? I have a trailer so transportation isn't a issue. Here is my 88 I just picked up

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Lasher 19

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 11:17:55 AM »
For atv racing in New England, the largest organization is NEATV-MX. They have a website (http://www.neatv-mx.com/) and a facebook page. While races used to all be within "new england" states, they have branched out to a few in NY and PA. The good thing about NEATV-MX is they have practice on Saturday for the track you are racing on Sunday. Turning the MX race into a weekend event. They also have SxS racing and XC at some select tracks. But overall, the races are fun time and the people at the track are nice and friendly bunch. So hanging out on Saturday night is usually fun. Some tracks have events (firework in PA) in the evening but there is always a campfire or something to do.

There is a practice track in Rocky Hill CT (south of hartford) that allows quad on certain Mondays during the summer. (http://www.ctmotocross.com/) this is on the flood plains of the CT river, so the dirty is very fine. But the track is run by Tony Larusso (older MX pro). Not bad but a place to legally ride.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38