TRX250r.org

Author Topic: added coolant capacity  (Read 7821 times)

Offline dem3500

added coolant capacity
« on: September 30, 2016, 12:41:21 PM »
i have a 363, i race XC and 90% i dont have any cooling problem at all.....but....a couple weeks ago i had a mud race. not fun lol. mi tires were doing more spinning than i was going forward. i ended up quitting the race after two laps because i kept overheating. in not going to blow my engine for a podium finish haha. so it got me thinking....(i do have an expensive radiator. CR iirc) why not ad more capacity to the cooling system? i cant think of any reason that it would be bad. just something that crossed my mind was maybe something like a truck power steering or external oil cooler somewhere along the frame rail towards the back. run the same size radiator hose as the existing hose. providing whatever extra cooling device i used had the same ID as not to restrict flow. maybe try to squeeze another 1/2 to full qt of fluid. just a thought and figured id through it out there for discussion.
Facebook.com/toonutzcreations

Offline dem3500

added coolant capacity
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 12:54:34 PM »
and i also just thought about cavitation. that could be a problem if a steam bubble got stuck but would that actually be a problem? im not sure, just random thinking.

Offline rk88r

added coolant capacity
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:03:56 PM »
You may have keep the top of the tank below the bottom of the rad. A fan like trail tech offers might work better. And a furnace filter in front of the frame.
\'99 Laeger narrow, cr link, +3+1 protrax, Peps, with a LED 363
\'88 265 pv peps
One other \'88

Offline dem3500

added coolant capacity
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 03:46:34 PM »
yea i run a furnace filter. the over heat problem was due to my engine and tires turning at 90 million mph and i was only going like 10 mph lol. im doing a fan this winter. most likely a ltz400 along with the sensors and a battery. i know that will solve my problem. even though its only 10% of the time. its getting lights, stop/tail, and at least one front led if not two.

Offline Skeans1

added coolant capacity
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 12:08:48 PM »
Quote from: dem3500;69871
i have a 363, i race XC and 90% i dont have any cooling problem at all.....but....a couple weeks ago i had a mud race. not fun lol. mi tires were doing more spinning than i was going forward. i ended up quitting the race after two laps because i kept overheating. in not going to blow my engine for a podium finish haha. so it got me thinking....(i do have an expensive radiator. CR iirc) why not ad more capacity to the cooling system? i cant think of any reason that it would be bad. just something that crossed my mind was maybe something like a truck power steering or external oil cooler somewhere along the frame rail towards the back. run the same size radiator hose as the existing hose. providing whatever extra cooling device i used had the same ID as not to restrict flow. maybe try to squeeze another 1/2 to full qt of fluid. just a thought and figured id through it out there for discussion.

Why not use something like an oil catch can in between the radiator to water pump inlet?

Offline Skeans1

added coolant capacity
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 12:10:25 PM »
Quote from: dem3500;69872
and i also just thought about cavitation. that could be a problem if a steam bubble got stuck but would that actually be a problem? im not sure, just random thinking.

An air pocket could cause an overheating issue being it can't compress.

Offline jwraymond6

added coolant capacity
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 12:33:34 PM »
I've thought about finding a small heater core and put it onthe return hose kinda acting like a pre cooler before it went through the rad
87 363 sphynx built by Pete @ hybrid engineering

Offline jcs003

added coolant capacity
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 03:59:37 PM »
do you have a temperature gauge?

john

Offline dem3500

added coolant capacity
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 03:33:18 PM »
I have a temp gauge but it's an inline ESR one so I csnt monitor it very easy when I'm racing. Im probably going to get an electronic one I csn mount on my bars or hood

Offline dem3500

added coolant capacity
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 07:47:59 AM »
Ok so another race yesterday with it being muddy. Not even that bad but I overheated AGAIN! it was the last race of the year, I planned to rebuild it after the race anyway, so I said screw it I'm going to keep going. So I went till the engine started breaking up really bad and just limped it back with the hopes of not putting the rod through the block lol. It made it back and held together. With that said I'm going to move forward with a fan and a thermostat switch. Has anyone fit a fan on an arens frame? It's a really tight squeeze back there. I have a bud with a trx450 and as soon as I have some time I'm going to take it off and see if it will fit. I'm just hoping someone else has done it already and can save me the time lol

Offline rablack21

added coolant capacity
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »
A 363 is difficult to cool in low wind airflow conditions (woods racing) regardless of what radiator you have in the current market place. My question would be how are you getting the mud in the radiator? Is it from guys in front of you slinging mud? If so, you might consider making some mud deflectors with duct tape, plastic board, etc. Whatever you could come up with to keep mud from getting stuck in the radiator. If the mud is coming from large water crossings, that is a different story. There isn't much you can do about that to maintain radiator efficiency.If that is the problem, you really only have a couple options. Either decrease size of engine or increase cooling efficiency. Only 3 ways to improve the cooling efficiency situation: 1. reduce heat rejection requirement (reduce engine size)  2. increase airflow (either drive faster in wide open areas - not practical, or increase airflow by an external method -an electric fan) 3. Increase cooling capacity - larger radiator (unfortunately without good airflow, this doesn't accomplish much. Plus, you can space restrictions that really limits the amount of extra cooling you can obtain).
With all that said, that really only leaves you with the option to add a fan. I haven't really heard of anyone doing this with GREAT success, but there have been quite a few try. So someone may have done this successfully now. I'll leave you with 2 bits of hopefully helpful info. 1. If running one off of a battery is an option, that might be more feasible.
2. You may try contacting Michael Sytsma (he is on 250r for life facebook group). He makes custom electrical harnesses for a living. He has also made several custom electrical harnesses for our machines. Maybe he has got some ideas for you.

Offline dem3500

added coolant capacity
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 01:58:34 PM »
i am not having any problem with mud gatting into my radiator. its clean as can be. a few nickle size chunks is all. it is most definitely that im not moving fast enough to get good cooling. when its dry out i can haul ass and keep the air moving through my radiator. when its muddy my engine is working to spin the tires but not actually move fast enough to get the air through the radiator. at this point i will be running a small motorcycle battery. not sure where but ill figure that out on the fly. im not worried about it. doing the wiring/integration is also no biggie for me. that stuff is super easy. at the current moment the only thing i dont know is what fan will fit behind the radiator on my arens. once i get that figured out it should be smooth sailing for me. and just for the record id just assume not to race the 1 or 2 muddy races for the season rather than reduce my engine size! lol!

Offline Skeans1

added coolant capacity
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 04:43:32 PM »
Quote from: rablack21;70218
A 363 is difficult to cool in low wind airflow conditions (woods racing) regardless of what radiator you have in the current market place. My question would be how are you getting the mud in the radiator? Is it from guys in front of you slinging mud? If so, you might consider making some mud deflectors with duct tape, plastic board, etc. Whatever you could come up with to keep mud from getting stuck in the radiator. If the mud is coming from large water crossings, that is a different story. There isn't much you can do about that to maintain radiator efficiency.If that is the problem, you really only have a couple options. Either decrease size of engine or increase cooling efficiency. Only 3 ways to improve the cooling efficiency situation: 1. reduce heat rejection requirement (reduce engine size)  2. increase airflow (either drive faster in wide open areas - not practical, or increase airflow by an external method -an electric fan) 3. Increase cooling capacity - larger radiator (unfortunately without good airflow, this doesn't accomplish much. Plus, you can space restrictions that really limits the amount of extra cooling you can obtain).
With all that said, that really only leaves you with the option to add a fan. I haven't really heard of anyone doing this with GREAT success, but there have been quite a few try. So someone may have done this successfully now. I'll leave you with 2 bits of hopefully helpful info. 1. If running one off of a battery is an option, that might be more feasible.
2. You may try contacting Michael Sytsma (he is on 250r for life facebook group). He makes custom electrical harnesses for a living. He has also made several custom electrical harnesses for our machines. Maybe he has got some ideas for you.

Mike is on here [MENTION=486]hontrx265r[/MENTION] what about a 450 fan?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:15:08 AM by Skeans1 »

Offline dem3500

added coolant capacity
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 05:04:59 PM »
I have to test fit a 450 fan. I was hoping someone already knew what fan would fit

Offline Skeans1

added coolant capacity
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 08:10:10 AM »
Quote from: dem3500;70226
I have to test fit a 450 fan. I was hoping someone already knew what fan would fit

I've got both bikes and a radiator out of an R, I have seen fans that were coolant temp driven before just can't remember where off hand.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38