TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Steering stem question  (Read 280 times)

Offline desertR

Steering stem question
« on: October 25, 2018, 08:36:33 PM »
As it says, I have a question..... If going with a longer/taller steering stem, do you need to extend the front brake line in the flex section to the handlebars ? Considering re-tubing my stock unit with a +1" or +2" tube, and I'm currently using the stock flex/hard line at the steering stem.
Thanks for the input as my R is still in pieces
desertR

Offline atvmxr

Re: Steering stem question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 09:40:40 AM »
you need to get rid of those stock rubber hoses anyway...

+1 you can probably make work, +2 is pushing it.  You still have stock length a-arms? 
Bunch of race quads that run on premix

Offline desertR

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 08:28:21 PM »
you need to get rid of those stock rubber hoses anyway...

+1 you can probably make work, +2 is pushing it.  You still have stock length a-arms? 

Help me as I don't understand your response. There is nothing wrong with my current "stock" rubber/hard lines on my quad that would require replacement, or I would replace them. Adding a +1" or +2" line is suggested when adding longer suspension components, and I've not seen a manufacturer with a statement that the line to the master from the "T" is longer on their lines. I'm guessing that there will be no problem, but I thought I'd ask first.
desertR

Offline 2Nubs

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 08:16:08 AM »
The stock rubber hoses suck even if functioning properly. I still have them on my quad at the moment and as atvmxr said, +2 will be pushing it. Upgrading to stainless steel hoses gives a lot better brake feel and will be the appropriate length.

Online DOUGLAS

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 06:19:00 PM »
when ordering lines consider that most replacement are off in there calculations. I used vaccume hose and measured what I needed. I called streemline and they made it to that size. came out great
LED 363 87 stock frame

Offline desertR

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 12:43:57 AM »
While I appreciate your responses, while viewing pics I have found that there appears to be enough slack in the flex line to extend the steering stem 2" with the stock line, so I'm going to section mine this week. Thank you for those responses as they pointed me to new lines that do list additional line length from the "t" to the master cylinder banjo bolt.
New question ?  anyone know the wall thickness of the stock steer tube ?
desertR

Offline hickwheeler

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 12:50:55 AM »
I hope it works for you. With my +2 +1 the stock line did not work
88 330 worked over by Pete
88 ct350pv (BOF Build)
89 440 Packard built pilot  (Sold)

Offline The norm

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 11:47:31 AM »
I believe that the stock tube is around  1.125" diameter .120 wall mild steel tube.
I had a BDT motor once.....It SUCKED!
Currently: Hybrid Engineering 310 stroker built by Pete

Offline jcs003

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 12:32:30 PM »
While I appreciate your responses, while viewing pics I have found that there appears to be enough slack in the flex line to extend the steering stem 2" with the stock line, so I'm going to section mine this week. Thank you for those responses as they pointed me to new lines that do list additional line length from the "t" to the master cylinder banjo bolt.
desertR
bars turned fully in both directions.
desertR
make sure the length is ok with the bars turned fully in both directions, with the newly extended steering stem length.

Offline desertR

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 09:59:12 PM »
Yes, I'll check lock to lock.
I cut it up today, the wall thickness is ~.110" with an OD of 1.128" I machined a piece up today and will finish it tomorrow as time allows. A couple of rosette welds, another around the diameter and it will be like new for a little time and zero expense. The splice is a press fit, and I added a witness line to keep it all lined up.
desertR