TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Carb, pipe, and intake boot questions  (Read 541 times)

Offline coops86250r

Carb, pipe, and intake boot questions
« on: January 20, 2019, 08:31:37 AM »
Hello all,

I have a 86' 250r that is needed some attention.  I purchased it last year in very decent bone stock condition from the second owner........ still had the original tires on it lol.  I'm currently going through it making sure everything is good to go for this coming summer.  I pulled the carb to give it a good cleaning and just see were things were at on the inside.  What I found was a 30+ year old carb with some seriously worn out parts, i.e. slide and pretty much the rest of the internals were just gunked up.  I'm at a point of do I repair/redo the stock carb or use the new PWK 35 I have sitting here already from another quad?  With the exception of the motor having a new stock cylinder and piston, the motor is bone stock.  First question is this....... since I already have a new PWK 35 sitting here will this be a decent carb to put on an otherwise stock motor?  I've read that a lot of folks seem to really like the 38mm air strykers but if the 35 I already have will work well for what I have it seems like the best choice for now. 

Next question that goes right in line with using the 35 PWK is will it work with an aftermarket pipe?  Not sure what pipe, that would be the second prong to my questions here.........what would be a good all around pipe for this motor that would work well with the 35 PWK if that is the carb I stick with?  I ride mostly trails and some non-competitive mx track time.  I'm not looking for huge gains, just something that will wake up an otherwise stock motor when it comes to pipe selection.

Next question, if going with the 35 PWK, will it work with the stock intake boot or would I need to get a different size one.  Lastly, what would be a good starting point for jets using the PWK carb?  I know pipe selection will play a factor in this so if you give a pipe recommendation knowing what jet would get me in the ball park would be great.

I apologize for the long post but wanted to provide as much detail as needed. 

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Tony
86' 250r, bone stock for now, upgrades coming soon!

Offline croat1

Re: Carb, pipe, and intake boot questions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 11:06:00 AM »
Hi Tony, the 35 will work as a replacement...works out since you already have it.  The stock boot works also (works with larger carbs also). As far as pipes...Id look for a used FMF.

Joe

Offline broken1

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 01:09:59 PM »
Welcome to .org...... I 2nd what Joe says on the pipe & carb. I have an FMF gold series Don Emler h-14 pipe on an unported 88 cylinder & love the power delivery it has. Your 35PWK will work just fine with pretty much any pipe & it will be an upgrade from the stock 34PJ. For baseline main jetting start in the low 170 range & a 48 or 50 pilot.
overkill is an often underrated achievement

Offline coops86250r

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 01:34:46 PM »
Folks,

Thanks for the replies to the topic, I know it was a long winded post lol.  That's great news with the 35 PWK working as a replacement.  I figured the stocker is a 34 so going to the 35 shouldn't be to big of a jump on an otherwise stock motor.  Glad to get the confirmation from you folks here!  With the pipe selection, that is something that is totally up in the air.  The big thing I'm looking for is something that works well on an unported stock bore motor.  That's two votes already for the FMF which is good to know.  I DO need to have a forestry approved spark arrestor, probably should have mentioned that from the get go. 

Broken1, I appreciate the starting point suggestions for the jetting, this will hopefully save me a good bit of time versus buying a ton of jets right out of the gate.  I'm in Iowa so I'm not in the mountains but also not at sea level either. 

If anyone has other suggestions for pipes and silencers don't hesitate to chime in, selection can be good and also a curse lol. 

I still have the stock reeds on the motor as well so I may look into an upgrade with those as well........suggestions there lol?  Just looking for external bolt-on stuff to do to wake it up a little.  A full motor build will happen down the road but getting what I can with relatively simple upgrades is the path I'm going at this time.

Thanks again for the replies folks!

Tony

Offline coops86250r

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 02:34:30 PM »
How does the Pro Circuit Platinum pipe and silencer combo compare to the FMF Fatty?  The Pro Circuits I have on my Banshee are stout and really out perform the FMF in comparison.

Thanks for the input folks,

Tony

Offline broken1

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 06:49:23 PM »
Stock reeds as in steel reeds?.... Some guys like the vf3 reed cages, or the vf2's if you can find them. I have rad valves on both mine & like those. If your on a budget & still have an OEM reed cage you can get boyesen power reeds pretty cheap & they'll work much better than the stock steel petals.

Online hickwheeler

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 09:36:23 PM »
I have road both pro circuit and FMF. I prefer the FMF. The pro circuit was just tame. It had a slight hit low to mid. Then just a long easy pull. Kinda boring to ride
88 ESR 330 5mil stroke
88 ct350pv (BOF Build)
Puma coming soon

Online hickwheeler

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 09:37:32 PM »
But then again. I'm use to big bore motors. So I might not be the right person to listen to for a stock cylinder
88 ESR 330 5mil stroke
88 ct350pv (BOF Build)
Puma coming soon

Offline coops86250r

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 08:34:01 AM »
Hickwheeler,

That was some great input and comparison between the Pro Circuit and FMF pipes.  From the reading I've done...... I've  read a lot more about folks using the FMF pipe and being happy with the results they've seen from them.  I'm also realistic with this and understand this won't ride like a big bore or PV motor.  I'm just looking to uncork some of the goodie of the stock motor.  The big motor will come later lol. 

I was essentially down to the FMF and Pro Circuit for the main reason of needing a forestry approved spark arrestor.  Just in this thread there have many numerous mentions of the FMF being a good pipe to run and I think that is what will go on my R for the time being.

The input and help from you folks is greatly appreciatted!!!  I'm always out to learn from those more knowledgeable, sure helps me make better decisions lol.

I'm always open to input and feedback so don't shy away from telling me what you think.

Thank you guys for the help!

Tony

Offline etccb

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 10:31:53 AM »
I was essentially down to the FMF and Pro Circuit for the main reason of needing a forestry approved spark arrestor. 
Tony

You can run the fmf forestry approved silencer with most of the 250r pipes out there. Most of them were made with the stock silencer mount location and are interchangeable with each other. All of the non center mount ESR for example and led lrd that do not have a big stinger. There are a lot of options for you that will actually perform better then the fmf or pro circuit.

Offline coops86250r

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 12:56:22 PM »
etccb,

That is really good to know about the FMF turbine core silencer........thank you for that nice tid bit of information!

Tony

Offline broken1

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 11:44:59 PM »
Another cheap & easy mod is switching to an 85-86 ATC head gasket for a little more compression.

Offline coops86250r

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 07:12:43 PM »
Broken1,

That is a great tip about the head gasket from the ATC's.  The motor is pretty damn fresh so I'm not going to open it up at this time.  I will keep that in my back pocket though for future reference!

Thanks again for the input folks, it has been a great help!

Tony

Offline Tbone07

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 10:26:44 AM »
If you're riding woods/trails you'll probably like the Boyesen Rad Valve more than VForce2/3 for you reed cage. Tends to give a little more low-end power. Aftermarket reed cages can really wake up an engine.

FMF is a great all around pipe for a stock cylinder build. But like others said, the FMF or Pro-Circuit spark-arrested silencers can work with quite a few off-the-shelf pipes. The ESR TRX5 is universally known as the best all around off-the-shelf 250r pipe.
LED Performance 350 Sphynx - XC Machine
Laeger's-Roll-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline jcs003

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 12:24:21 PM »
those new ESR pipes look great.  However, i am not seeing a standard mount on the site.