TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Not your typical oil question: Castor oils  (Read 2078 times)

Offline wilkin250r

Not your typical oil question: Castor oils
« on: November 21, 2019, 02:59:49 PM »
So all over the internet, you can see debates about various oils, mostly in the categories of Castor vs Petroleum vs Synthetics.  I don't think anybody really runs petroleum-based, so that doesn't apply, and you don't really see many of those arguements anymore.  So mainly, castor vs synthetic.  We can debate those a little here if you want.

However, what I cannot find, but I KNOW was an issue many years back, was SWITCHING to and from Castor oils.

Decades back, it seemed like it was common knowledge that if you run castor oil, you're stuck with castor oil forever.  The castor oil left a "varnish" behind that wasn't an issue with continued castor use, but that "varnish" wouldn't allow a non-castor oil to properly wet the lubricated surfaces (think water beading on a waxed surface), and without sufficient coverage, you don't get sufficient lubrication.  So the common philosophy at the time was that you can always switch to castor oil, but you can never switch back unless you replaced every single bearing.

Has anybody ever heard this?  Or heard this disputed?  Is it because it was all just a myth?  Or is it because that problem may have indeed occurred with petroleum-based oils, but doesn't occur with synthetics?

Offline atvmxr

Re: Not your typical oil question: Castor oils
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »
so you want to run something besides 927? 
Bunch of race quads that run on premix

Online Jerry Hall

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 11:52:56 PM »
I started writing a response to the post by wilkin250r  but it was getting too long and had not even started to answer the questions.  I will try to edit my response and post it in a few days.  This is not a question that can be answered by a simple yes or no answer.

Offline desertR

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 12:32:07 AM »
Google has plenty;

The Biggest Advantages
Castor oil will not carbonize at high temperatures (over 700F)
Castor oil has a high film strength, which helps prevent metal-to-metal contact between points on an engine. This makes castor motor oil an excellent racing lubricant for high-performance engines.
Castor oil does not “adapt” to its surroundings. Meaning, it stays in its current form regardless of climate, temperature, location, etc.
Castor oil has a natural attraction to heat, which means that it will actively seek out the hottest spots in an engine.
Castor oil puts off an incredible smell, one that has acquired considerable fame ever since the first use in the early 20th century.
The Biggest Disadvantages
Castor motor oil is well known for leaving large “gunk” deposits behind on engine parts.
In premium fuel, castor oil may separate from the fuel in low temperatures.
Oil injection systems cannot be used with castor oil.
While castor oil may have lost some of its prestige over the past few decades, it is still prominent and widely used today by motocross and enduro riders due to its high film strength. Regardless of what the future holds for the use of castor oil in motors, there is no denying the critical role it has played over the years in the world of combustion engines. The fact that castor oil still around is a testament to the impact it’s had on the industry.

I have always run Maxima (nothing like the smell of Maxima in the morning) is my race jet skis, but only in 2 stroke use. I've never heard of issues of switching, and a water cooled 2 stroke has much tighter controls on temperature. Perhaps they (caster) are better in some uses ? (air cooled ?).

You can spend your lifetime learning about different oils, but consider any high quality oil as a good oil. I run a European double ester oil in my Italian bikes (Ducati), that are air/oil cooled and they hold an imperial gallon of oil. After building exotic European motors (Porsche/Ferrari, and others) for 40 years, I had never heard of the double ester oils until I got an Italian motorcycle. I run Rotella oils in my pickup used for towing, as it has more zinc then most others.
Do your own research and make your own decisions
desertR

Offline Action69

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »
Desert R good write up..on a side note I may want to pick your brain about my air cooled 993..

Offline wilkin250r

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 11:25:51 PM »
I started writing a response to the post by wilkin250r  but it was getting too long and had not even started to answer the questions.  I will try to edit my response and post it in a few days.  This is not a question that can be answered by a simple yes or no answer.

Jerry, I've always respected your experience and knowledge.  And I love the forums (vs the facebook groups) because you CAN write long responses and have lengthy, in-depth discussions that aren't conducive to the instant-gratification environment of the comments section on facebook.  I eagerly await your input.

Offline wilkin250r

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 11:37:48 PM »
And now I'm intrigued on the topic of double ester oils as well.  The only thing I know (without research) is that the term "ester" is usually synonymous with "synthetic".  Can you point me towards some research material?  I can't seem to find much except marketing hype.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38