TRX250r.org

Author Topic: 86' full build  (Read 8467 times)

Offline coops86250r

86' full build
« on: July 19, 2019, 07:11:50 PM »
Hello all,

It is finally time, i.e. I've finally got around to posting some pics and details of my current 86' 250r build.  I got the R about a year ago in excellent original condition, still had the original tires on it.  Even though they were damn near bald and weather checked they still held air.  Initially I was going to spruce her up a little, fluids, chain, the common stuff you do when you get a used atv.  I wanted  to make sure it was ready to ride, with some new tires of course lol.  It didn't want to idle very well at all and I couldn't adjust the cable anymore, it was the original lol.  So I pulled the carb to go through it and put a new cable on.  The carb was a fubar mess lol.  The slide was completely worn out and it had some varnish in it.  So, I rebuilt the carb and moved on to doing all the bearings.  This is where the story takes that turn from get it running good to screw it, lets go all in.  Upon pulling the rear axle I noticed it was bent on both sides 180 degrees out.  How in the hell I didn't feel this on the test ride can only be explained as "I'm riding a 250r!!!! :)"

That was the start of well if the axle gets replaced then I should put on better A-arms.  If I go to better A-arms I'd better upgrade the shocks too........... you know the drill.  So the wallet came out, started cussing at me but I said take it like a man!!! 

I got a Pumashine full gusset kit and then had the frame powder coated in Prizmatic Powders very red.  The stock swinger was in fantastic shape so I blasted it and painted it with ceramic gloss black paint.  I went with a Lonestar axle, carrier, hubs front and rear after converting to 89' front spindles, their DC-pro long travel a-arms, and lastly a Lonestar stem and top bearing retainer.  For shocks I chose Elka stage 5 all the way around.  First time with Elka's as my other toys ride on Fox Floats, so I'm interested to see how these do.  I'm using Renthal Fatbars fitted with ODI rogue grips and ASV levers.  New plastics via Maier with a carbon fiber hood, radiator shrouds, rear master cylinder protector and seat cover from CarbonWerx.  Wheels I went with Hyper Tech 1's up front and Tech 3's in the rear.  On to the motor......... I went with an ESR 330 PV cylinder with a Hot Rods crank including trx 7 porting and trx 5 pipe, this will be fed by a Keihn 38 AS short body carb and ESR reeds.  I did the upgrade to the clutch using the pancake bearing for the lifter and also installed a Hinson basket along with a heavy duty clutch kit from ESR as well. 

For the ignition I'm gonna probably be one of the few from what I've seen on the forums that is going to run the new LED HPI ignition.  With the price of the CR stuff being so stupid this seems like it is worth a try.  For those who haven't dealt with Arlan........ that guy is a hoot to talk to and takes all the time that is needed to explain something.

So, that's the  build to this point.  I'm currently waiting on a Sonny Fricia billet intake, I have horrible alignment issues with the carb.  I even tried a rad valve to shorten/lower the carb down a bit and it was still horrible.  I'm hoping the pics will load.  Let me know what you think and please feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for looking at my build.

Tony
86' 250r, stock frame w/ Pumashine full gusset kit, ESR 330 PV, TRX-7 porting, TRX-5 pipe, ESR cases, 01 CR ignition, LoneStar long travel and stem, hiper wheels, fourwerx carbon fiber, Precision clamps, Renthal bars, ASV levers, Elka stage 5, 89 spindles, CCP stabilizer.

Offline coops86250r

Re: 86' full build
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 07:13:07 PM »
Some more pics of the build progress.
86' 250r, stock frame w/ Pumashine full gusset kit, ESR 330 PV, TRX-7 porting, TRX-5 pipe, ESR cases, 01 CR ignition, LoneStar long travel and stem, hiper wheels, fourwerx carbon fiber, Precision clamps, Renthal bars, ASV levers, Elka stage 5, 89 spindles, CCP stabilizer.

Offline coops86250r

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 07:14:15 PM »
And a couple more for you.

Thanks again for taking a look at my build.

Tony

Offline croat1

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »
Tony, bike looks great!!! Nice write up.

Joe

Offline Action69

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:43:50 PM »
Bike came out real nice!!!enjoy it..

Offline coops86250r

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 10:23:30 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the compliments!  I still have a little ways to go yet before it is done.  I'm really scratching my head on what to do for footpegs, don't know if I want to do just some big pegs with kick-up or go pegs and make some heal guards, or go full nerf bar set-up.  I still am trying to decide on whether to get a steering stabilizer as well.  I've read good things about the CCP unit and it's WAY cheaper than the Precision unit.  I already have a Precision on my KFX and it's damn nice but holy hell was it expensive compared to the CCP unit.

I was initially going to cut the front fenders and do the race cut but I really like the stock look.  Guess you could say it's a resto mod atv lol.  Soon as I got the R last year I was combing the internet for hard to find parts and it's sure paid off.  The 89' front spindles I got off ebay were damn near perfect and got them for a really good price compared to the used up stuff I usually see.  I also scored a rear shock linkage from the Dirt Factory that MAYBE had an hour ride time on it.  All the seals were in perfect shape and all of the bushings with the exception of the very front one had barely worn through the coating on them.  Of course I found this not a week after completely rebuilding the original one that wasn't in bad shape as it was.

Right now I'm waiting on more goodies to show up so I can really get this thing buttoned up and fired for the first time.  I'll keep updating as things progress.

Thanks again for the compliments folks.

Tony

Offline F-Red

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 07:06:48 AM »
Sweet ride. I have two CCP steering stabilizers. I’m very please with their performance.
Want To See My Wieners?

Offline hickwheeler

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 03:08:49 PM »
Nice build Tony. Looks very good. It seems as soon as you tare them apart. You go further than planned on the build
88 hybrid 431 puma
88 (BOF Build) stock motor and oem 89 plastics
More in the works

Offline jcs003

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 08:22:05 PM »
This looks great!

Offline coops86250r

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 12:35:12 PM »
Folks,

Thank you very much for the compliments on the build so far.  I gotta say,  if it wasn't for this site the build may never had happened.  Sooo much great info and solutions to things have been found here, it really has been the key to a successful build thus far.  With the exception of the carb alignment issue this thing has gone together like butter sliding off a hot knife.  Even the carb alignment issue will hopefully be fixed with the Sonny Fricia intake.

I'm really eager to see how this new LED HPI ignition system works.  Arlen spent a good deal of time on the phone with me going through tips and tricks for getting it set up.  He also said if I have any questions during set up or getting it dialed in to give him a call and he'd be happy to help.  That guy is one awesome person to deal with and mighty candid.  Something I'm finding to be more and more hard to come by these days.

Thanks again folks, keep checking in from time to time as I near the finish line on the build.  I plan on doing a fairly detailed how-to on the install of the ignition with a number of pics to help as well.

Tony

Offline 2Nubs

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 09:15:12 AM »
So fresh!
‘86 330

Offline The norm

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 10:33:41 AM »
Tony, a how to would be a great addition to the forum.  As these R's get older and older we find ourselves looking at new ignition options. I may be after a couple HPI ignitions in the future and would greatly appreciate some guidance. Also, you did a fantastic job on your R. It is beautiful!

Loren
1986 Trx250r-- Hybrid Engineering 391(Good bye super 310)
1986 Trx250r-- Hybrid Engineering  ported stock 86 cylinder
1986 Trx250r-- craigslist engine with unknown ported 89 cylinder.
1985 Atc250r-- Needs a lot of work (Super 310's new home)

Offline havinnoj

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 02:59:08 PM »
Sweet man!!

Offline coops86250r

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 06:30:42 PM »
Sorry for such a delay in updating this thread folks!  Loren, I'd be happy to help once I get this set-up on the R.  I took some decent pics so you guys can get a decent look at the system.  One thing I should mention and I still need to let Arlen know this.......if you're running the ESR billet counter balancer bearing holder it is thick enough that it won't let the timing plate sit flush how it should.  This will be an easy fix for me, I'll just mill a little area to clear the billet bearing holder.  Other than that it is a clean and simple looking system.  The first thing you will notice is how small the flywheel is compared to stock.  Arlen did recommend the flywheel weight for me.  I trail ride and only hit the track to play but he said it would be a wise choice.

I finally got the Sonny Fricia intake and it did what it was intended to do......fix a horrible carb alignment issue.  It is also a nice looking piece, I went with anodized red on mine.  I will post some pics of it hopefully this weekend.

Here are some pics of the LED HPI ignition system though. 

Thanks for all the replies and compliments folks, it is greatly appreciated!

Tony

Offline coops86250r

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 07:08:13 PM »
It's been a while since I've updated this build thread, my apologies!  I finally finished my 86 build and I'm incredibly happy with how it turned out.  I didn't want to go overboard with graphics and such, rather I wanted to kinda pay homage to this great machine and do a resto mod in a sense.  After working with the HPI ignition set-up and trying different things I just couldn't get away from terrible kick-back.  I ended up finding a complete 01 CR ignition online that looked damn near new.  The install was a snap and holy hell does it start sooo easy now.  Anyway, here are some glam shots I took of it after I finished her. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38