TRX250r.org

Author Topic: what headlight options do i have  (Read 1643 times)

Offline evaneyeball

what headlight options do i have
« on: April 29, 2020, 12:52:37 AM »
i currently have no lights or a tail light and we have a way to make it DC power but i have stock ignition as far as i know, i know its a 87 flywheel and probably the same for the rest of it. my wiring harness is completely ratted out and im surprised it still ran and so me and my dad (who has worked with high and low voltage for almost 30 years and knows his stuff) are going to try and save as much wire as possible and yet still make it like new. but what lighting options do i have im not super opposed to running a battery for the lights and we are already planning on switching to DC i would like to have two small LED light pods and maybe a 6 in bar light is this possible? we do a lot of night riding more than most. my dad dosent do much on wiring harnesses and stuff like it but is constantly doing electrical stuff if you have an idea im sure he can make it work. and theirs a reason i pretty much exclusively work on a single cylinder 2 stroke from the 80's i suck at wiring.
LED built 86 trx 350 CEO
81 ATC250r
Zero finesse and alot of throttle

Offline evaneyeball

Re: what headlight options do i have
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 01:13:46 PM »
well how many watts do they make ac and how much does the motor need of that ive read they make 100 watts is that true and how much of that is being used my the engine
LED built 86 trx 350 CEO
81 ATC250r

Offline PorP

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 02:53:24 PM »
Hey 250r brother. 

I've already done what you're asking from the standard stator/ ac regulator. I put a 6" led light bar i ebayed and a led tail light i ebayed. They work fine. I bought some metal stock cheap from lowe's to fashion mounts.  I don't run any switches because I don't have room on the handle bars so it's wired to be on all the time.  I also don't have brake switches so I wired the tail light to always illuminate as if the brakes are on (bright).

With the shop manual,  it should be really easy for you and your pops to replicate the oem worrying harness,  it's pretty simple. If you don't have the time or want (like me)  there is a guy who sells oem replicated harnesses on eBay for $100.

I can give you links to what I bought if your interested.

Offline evaneyeball

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 05:41:46 PM »
We had waited it up with a Rickystator reg/rec and it worked great I had 2 led light pods but then I blew up my cdi box so I bought a hpi ignition that has no lighting coil on it so I had a battery on it already so I just wired in a switch on top of my radiator shroud and I just have that with the light pods, it works great
LED built 86 trx 350 CEO
81 ATC250r

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38