TRX250r.org

Author Topic: QC covers  (Read 1881 times)

Offline croat1

QC covers
« on: August 21, 2020, 04:56:54 PM »
Passing some info along.  I’ve been wanting to do this for years but I could not find a shop willing to do the work (money didn’t talk lol).  What’s good about these is you get your clutch cover back.

Offline Action69

Re: QC covers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 06:56:52 PM »
Joe I can’t seem to find that Facebook page to join..is it open to new members?

Offline croat1

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 07:11:38 PM »
Joe I can’t seem to find that Facebook page to join..is it open to new members?

Steven, I texted you a link

Joe

Offline 2ndmoto

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »
Who is Bryan May? That is a pretty fair price. I like the look of Hinson style better than the ESR.

Offline havinnoj

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 06:48:50 PM »
I'm glad to see someone else doing this.  I'd probably just keep sending them to CT - they'll give you a cover with plate (CT or Hinson) for $425 ($25 more than Bryan May charges).  And CT WILL do your cover (you'll just have to wait until they process a batch). 

Offline croat1

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 10:35:43 AM »
I'm glad to see someone else doing this.  I'd probably just keep sending them to CT - they'll give you a cover with plate (CT or Hinson) for $425 ($25 more than Bryan May charges).  And CT WILL do your cover (you'll just have to wait until they process a batch). 

Many moons ago when I contacted CT they told me they couldn’t guarantee I’d get my exact cover back.   I wasn’t going to send them a NOS and not get it back after modification.  Maybe things  are different now?

Joe

Offline croat1

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 10:37:07 AM »
I sure do like cover plates with no logos

Offline croat1

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 12:03:19 PM »
Information from Outlaw motorsports:

Earlier this year, i took a break from doing the quick change covers.  What seems like a fairly simple task is actually filled with many nuances and unexpected challenges.  If i'm being honest, they were a big pain in the ass.  To start with, my previous setup involved chucking on the ID of the round area of the case where the basket is.  That theoretical cylinder is not true, so right off the bat, i'm fighting things.  There is very limited room between the cover and the basket, so it's critical that these two be concentric.  I could never get that 100%.  There is also the issue of breaking through the kicker seal bore.  The problem there is the diameter of the cover plate/adapter ring is a bit too large.  Now i have to shift things down, but try and keep the finished bore concentric with the basket. 

I dont know the exact history of the Hinson cover, but im convinced that it was originally intended for a different application, and then shoehorned onto a 250r case.  As such, im forced to use this inferior, albeit cool looking design.  I'd love nothing more than to make and use a proper cover, similar in appearance, that fits correctly and is precisely designed for the 250r.  But then half of my customers couldn't use their existing cover plates.

My hope is that this fixture plate, and the CNC mill will allow me to achieve precise and repeatable results.  Every OEM cover can be cut out exactly the same, and the post weld machining done with the same level of repeatability. 

This is all theory at this point, but if all goes well, i plan to start accepting covers again early next year.  Just wanted to give you guys an update.  I get a few PM's a month on doing them, so i figured this would be the easiest way to keep everybody informed.

Offline atvmxr

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 02:21:15 PM »
Brian's comments are interesting about the origins of the hinson cover.  it a couple hundrend bucks more, but with all the issues Brian pointed out, not sure why you wouldnt just get a modquad clutch cover these days?  I guess  everyone wants a vintage build to sit in their garage instead of racing them with modern tech
Bunch of race quads that run on premix

Offline croat1

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 06:21:23 PM »
Issues:

Offline croat1

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 06:22:31 PM »
Issues resolved:

Offline croat1

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 06:44:14 PM »
Brian's comments are interesting about the origins of the hinson cover.  it a couple hundrend bucks more, but with all the issues Brian pointed out, not sure why you wouldnt just get a modquad clutch cover these days?  I guess  everyone wants a vintage build to sit in their garage instead of racing them with modern tech

I’d say Hinson implemented the 1985-89 atc/trx 250r quick change to copy what Honda did from the factory for the 1981-1984 atc250r.

Joe

Offline All250R

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2024, 12:01:14 PM »

I’d say Hinson implemented the 1985-89 atc/trx 250r quick change to copy what Honda did from the factory for the 1981-1984 atc250r.

Joe
It is interesting that the liquid cooled 250R engine didn't get the same cover feature.

Offline croat1

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 12:53:46 PM »
Latest:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38