TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Ignition problem/bad cdi  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Texas30cal

Re: Ignition problem/bad cdi
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2021, 01:26:12 AM »
That’s what I’m afraid of as well, I am capable of checking it but don’t know what it should be. I’ve acquired a original OEM box as well as a OEM stator I should have late next week so these will just be back up parts. The box I have also kicks back but it’s manageable, temporarily, everything is new so there won’t be any hard running until after I get the OEM parts, even then “hard” is a relative term as my age, arthritis, back issues, neck surgeries limit what I can do. This build is something I’ve been wanting to do for 29 years and with the exception of the ignition issue it’s been lots of fin.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 01:30:30 AM by Texas30cal »

Offline JOEY11

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 06:33:51 AM »
My 85 came with an aftermarket cdi and stator but didn't find that out until may hours of thinking it's fuel related. Once I figured it out I swapped both with used oem and it runs like it should. I've yet to hear someone say they've had luck running the aftermarket ebay junk electronics on these bikes so I can't believe these companies are still selling them. I wish someone could rewind our oem stators or make one that actually works like oem but I guess there's not enough need for it.

Offline Hawaiiysr

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2021, 01:30:00 PM »
I've used a ricks cdi. It's the red box. It can cause kick back if you don't kick it over good. But that was my only complaint. It ran just fine. I wouldn't call it junk but I also wouldn't call it a great replacement. Still I keep it just in case my oem goes kaput
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 02:29:11 AM by Hawaiiysr »

Offline croat1

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 06:13:42 AM »
My 85 came with an aftermarket cdi and stator but didn't find that out until may hours of thinking it's fuel related. Once I figured it out I swapped both with used oem and it runs like it should. I've yet to hear someone say they've had luck running the aftermarket ebay junk electronics on these bikes so I can't believe these companies are still selling them. I wish someone could rewind our oem stators or make one that actually works like oem but I guess there's not enough need for it.

Stator rewind service:

https://www.rickystator.com/page/rewinds

Joe

Offline JOEY11

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 07:00:13 AM »

[/quote]

Stator rewind service:

Joe
[/quote]

Thanks. I didn't know they provided that service. Have you used them or know anyone that has? That's one of the places I've heard mixed reviews on with their new stators.

Offline croat1

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 08:34:53 AM »

Stator rewind service:

Joe
[/quote]

Thanks. I didn't know they provided that service. Have you used them or know anyone that has? That's one of the places I've heard mixed reviews on with their new stators.
[/quote]

I have not used them.  I know a few guys that have with no issues (new stator).  Also, one thing to remember is a lot of guys confuse Ricky Stator with Ricks Stator.  I’m pretty sure every says to stay away from the “Ricks”.

Joe

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38