TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Stock reed block question  (Read 188 times)

Offline JOEY11

Stock reed block question
« on: March 20, 2021, 02:39:09 AM »
I put boyessen reeds in my 85 recently and it had the stock metal reeds and also had a plastic block in the inside of the cage and I put it back in and now Iím wondering if I should have left it out. I read the boyessen instructions just to see if they mentioned that block but there was nothing about it listed. Will hurt or help air flow in any way?

Offline jcs003

Re: Stock reed block question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 09:57:13 AM »
i am assuming it is a reed spacer.  it has minimal impact on performance.  just watch for air leaks.

Offline JOEY11

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 01:59:47 PM »
I thought it was some kind of air plenum or something to control air velocity. It sits inside the actual reed cage and the screws that hold the reeds down hold this thing inside the cage. I left that in so I guess it canít hurt anything.

Offline Jerry Hall

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 03:53:50 PM »
I put boyessen reeds in my 85 recently and it had the stock metal reeds and also had a plastic block in the inside of the cage and I put it back in and now Iím wondering if I should have left it out. I read the boyessen instructions just to see if they mentioned that block but there was nothing about it listed. Will hurt or help air flow in any way?

If you are referring to the  white piece of plastic inside of the reed valve, it is an air flow transition device.  This device helps the high speed air flow make a more gradual transition from the oval rubber intake manifold to the rectangular shape before the reed petals.  The rubber intake manifold starts the transition from the round exit of the carburetor and the white transition device is just the ending part of the transition from the carburetor to the reed petals.

Taking it our will hurt the air flow slightly, so I would leave it in. 

Offline JOEY11

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 04:58:06 PM »
Thanks. Thatís what I figured it was for and put it back in when I replaced the reeds. I didnít put the spacer block back on. I got my new pipe sealed up with rtv and worked on the jetting and it rips. I couldnít keep the front tire down in 4th before running out space. Itís been a few years since I owned an R trike and Iíll never sell it this time.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38