TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Rear axle problem  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Banshee330

Rear axle problem
« on: July 19, 2021, 06:59:25 AM »
Rear brake disc rubbing caliper bracket? Any ideas guys would be helpful. I have put the rear dnd together 3 times. I have a new carrier, new axle, new anti fade, I even purchased a used stock rear disc hub, due to the seal area on mine was a little chewed up. When I tighten the anti fade  there is no end play in the axle shaft. It turns good. When I mount the caliper adapter to the brake stay , the disc rubs the caliper adapter. I can’t figure out where the run out is? Any ideas would be helpful.

Offline robjust

Re: Rear axle problem
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 02:35:33 PM »
Banshee330,

I know you said the carrier is brand new. Did it come with the bearings installed? It almost seems like the right-side bearing is in too deep. That would allow the Rotor hub to move deeper or farther left as the hub should bottom out at the bearing and locate the rotor.

The shelf for the bearing stop could be machined slightly to deep? Or maybe a slightly narrower twin row bearing was installed? I am not sure. Just sharing ideas.

Offline Banshee330

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 07:15:37 PM »
Thanks for the insight, the carrier bearings were installed by manufacturer when purchased. It’s not a constant rub, it rubs about half the rotor, turns free, then rubs again . I think the hub maybe bent. I am going to try my old hub and see if that makes a difference. Gonna check axle float and then face runout on the disc.

Offline Banshee330

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 05:17:59 AM »
I am going to check the bearing stack on the carrier against the old carrier. Disc face run out with fade nut tight was .010”. I also checked run out in the axle while installed . Sprocket side .012” disc side .008”. Seems like a lot of runout on a brand new axle 😐 I also checked end play on the axle, didn’t have any.

Offline robjust

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 03:40:18 PM »
Banshee330-Hope you get it figured out. When you measure run out at your doing it close to the sprocket hub and close to the rotor hub? It seems like those numbers would increase as you moved towards the wheel hubs.  :-\ More then willing to be a dial indicator on mine and see where I am at.

Offline Banshee330

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 07:14:11 AM »
If you look at the picture the dial indicator was close to the disc and sprocket hubs. On the disc side it was about where the “D” is on the word Dominator. With a slip fit between the axle and the bearings , it’s hard to get a true runout reading on the axle. It really needs to be removed and set in v blocks or a lathe or something of that nature. I didn’t have time to mess with it yesterday, but I do believe the problem is where you are talking about, it’s in the stack between the carrier, and disc hub. There gotta be something coming up short right there. When you are stacking parts that have slip fits then you load them up with an anti fade nut, the flatness of each part axially can induce runout also. That is if they are not flat. RPM axle specs leaving there shop selling to customers is less than .005” runout.

Offline robjust

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 05:28:03 PM »
Banshee330-Not seeing the picture?

I talked with a friend today. He had the same type of issue. He had bought a (new) no name bearing carrier from Ebay for a really cheap price and every time he tightened up the anti-fade it would lock up. The only piece he changed was the carrier, he swapped it with another from no more issue. Not saying that is your issue, but something to look at.

Offline Banshee330

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 05:49:19 PM »
I bought a cheap carrier also, I have splurged on something’s and not others. I just checked the depth of the carrier face to the face of the inner race. The cheap one I bought on Amazon is .994”. The OEM one is .900”. That puts the disc away from the adapter right there by approx .100” , just what I need to stop the disc from rubbing. My OEM carrier has a bad bearing. I am going to make a spacer at work tomorrow and run the cheap carrier until I can build the OEM one. Lesson learned! Thanks for your insight much obliged.

Offline robjust

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 08:09:00 PM »
Glad you figured it out / Sorry it was such a PITA. I do not have an extra carrier, if I did, I would sent it your way. You can make a spacer for behind the bearing, but also remember that the tube will need the same amount add to it so the inner race is also supported.

Offline Banshee330

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 05:56:19 PM »
Haven’t been on in a while, spacer worked out great! Getting frustrated with waiting on parts. Got shocks, arms, and rear bead locks coming. Ordered most of this stuff in late May early June😵‍💫

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38