TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Pro Circuit Type 296 or FMF Q Silencer  (Read 1043 times)

Online bushwesl

Pro Circuit Type 296 or FMF Q Silencer
« on: May 09, 2022, 02:19:17 PM »
I’m looking for a Pro Circuit Type 296 or FMF Q Silencer, if anyone would be willing to part with one.

The race series that I’m in requires 100dB or less, and my Turbine Core II is well beyond that.

Thanks,
Wes

Offline atvmxr

Re: Pro Circuit Type 296 or FMF Q Silencer
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 06:31:22 PM »
did you repack it?  I thought the Q/296 main benefit was that they were spark arrested.  The quieter part is a bit overrated.

I have a Q on my woods R and ESR set up on my MX bike, no noticeable difference in sound in my opinion. 

I wonder if putting an airbox lid/snorkle on would help with sound?  Im running airbox/no lid on both of them
Bunch of race quads that run on premix

Online bushwesl

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 10:15:55 PM »
The current packing probably has 10-15 hrs and it read 108 dB. I’ll try repacking my Turbine Core, but I don’t think it’ll make up the difference that I need.

The Q/296 are both spark arrested (so is the Turbine Core), but they’re a bit longer and provide greater sound reduction. I think they claim ~96 dB to meet strict state sound requirements, e.g. OR, WI. I contacted FMF - they don’t make the Q series anymore. The PC 296 is out of stock everywhere I’ve looked and who knows when they’ll be available again, if ever.

I’m running an airbox with Outerwear’s cover and snorkel.

Offline atvmxr

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 09:13:08 AM »
oh, ok.  agree only 10-15 hrs probably wont make a difference

good luck

Offline broken1

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 11:10:40 AM »
I'm sure engine mods have an effect on db levels but I have a first gen power core that I added a turn down to, a first gen turbine core & a Q silencer & with fresh packing in all of them there relatively close in db level. The Q is slightly quieter & I was able to get down to 95db with that one. The other 2 are in the high 90's or right around 100db maybe. I only ever had my R with the Q tested. If your TC2 is the 2nd gen you could try making a flat end cap & putting a turndown pipe on it thats closer to a full 90 so it's pointing more toward the ground & less out the back. The one downfall to the Q silencer is its so long it sticks out past the grab bar & looks pretty goofy unless you shorten your pipe stinger a little to get it at least even with the grab bar. Than again its kind of like oversize tanks & desert seats, you either like the look or you don't.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 11:15:15 AM by broken1 »

Online bushwesl

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 11:48:09 AM »
My apologies, I have the original Turbine Core with the turn down, not the II.

It’s a healthy 310 with all of the expected engine mods. I’ll try to repack my current Turbine Core again and see how it performs. Is there a ‘best’ packing material to use to help with the sound?

Yea… I’ve seen pictures of the extra long silencers. I’m not a fan, but if it’s the route I have to go to race then it is what it is.

The other issue is the technique that the series used to measure the dB. Im going to contest it and provide the specific sound testing rules and techniques from the AMA. Hopefully between a better technique and a fresh packing, I’ll be OK. I do get a ‘warning’ my first race, and so long as I’m taking actions to improve the sound level they’ll let me continue racing. I’d like it to be a none issue, though, and get below the limit, if at all possible, to not worry about it anymore.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 11:57:35 AM by bushwesl »

Offline broken1

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 12:59:08 PM »
I use the FMF packing but there's probably better stuff out there. When I ran a fatboy I had to repack it so often I just used pink or yellow house insulation, whatever my dad had laying around at the time.... When I repacked the TC1 on my wife's R I drilled the rivets on the turbine core to remove & clean it & found there was also packing around that part so if you remove yours & repack it that may help drop it a db or 2 more along with repacking the perf core.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 01:00:51 PM by broken1 »

Offline atvmxr

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 03:36:46 PM »
There is a Q that just got posted on TRX grown up owners FB page by Lotz Ryan

Online bushwesl

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 07:08:49 PM »
Thanks for looking out for me!

I actually saw it last night as well and contacted Ryan. Fortunately, it’s on its way to me!😁 He said there were like 8 other guys interested in it, so I lucked out.

Our series was short handed, so they offered to omit sound check for anyone that pre-registered. I absolutely took them up on that offer to save my warning and buy myself time to figure out a silencer that will pass. I should be all set with this FMF Q after a fresh repack.

Offline atvmxr

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 01:12:17 PM »
Well I was one that contacted him, wasn’t sure if ya had fb

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38