TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Millennium Technology Porosity and Streaking in Nicasil coatings  (Read 3264 times)

Offline rsss396

[video=youtube;kdM73pERV6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdM73pERV6Q[/video]
Anyone looking for a great builder I highly recommend the following.
For CP products dealers I would recommend:
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline C-Leigh Racing

Millennium Technology Porosity and Streaking in Nicasil coatings
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »
Dave, what do you think about dimples in the bore wall from the exhaust port roof up to TDC ?.
Kinda like a golf ball, but spaced farther apart from each other.
Maybe done with a cnc mill so all would be just alike. I know dimples & grooves on the piston would work, but got to wonder the effects on the cylinder wall.
For sure it would be places of no contact & reduce friction.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing, in memory of Caraleigh Pritchard
Race team for 2015
Chuckie Creech #25 TRX450R, Pro, Pro Am, Pro Am Unlimited
Andrea Creech # 25 TRX450R, Womens (National ATVA EDT)
Andrea Creech #33 TRX350R, Womens (local EDT)

If it aint got a hot weed eater 2 stroke engine, all its good for is a pit bike

Offline rsss396

Millennium Technology Porosity and Streaking in Nicasil coatings
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »
I think the dimples on the piston skirt to promote better oil protection would be better than the cylinder wall because of blow by on the rings.

I have done the dimples on the piston skirts, its allot of work but cant say I really seen much if any wear or performance differance, but I know a few guys swear they have had good luck with them.
Anyone looking for a great builder I highly recommend the following.
For CP products dealers I would recommend:
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline croat1

Re: Millennium Technology Porosity and Streaking in Nicasil coatings
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 06:37:46 PM »
Searching YouTube I found this piston being used in a Lynx cylinder.  Anyone having this done?

Offline Tbone07

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 10:41:41 AM »
Searching YouTube I found this piston being used in a Lynx cylinder.  Anyone having this done?

Wonder if that's for weight reduction on the big bore piston, or for oil retention? Cool idea though.

Got a link for the YouTube video?
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline All250R

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 03:54:37 PM »
Just speculating, but I think the edges of the pocket are more likely to act as oil scrapers than oil retention pockets, assuming the problem being solved is oil retention.
I think you may also be experimenting with the thermal expansion properties, strength and stress properties of the piston/material.
If an engine's problem is oil retention from high levels of heat, choosing an oil with a higher flash point is a more straight forward solution.
2cents.

Online bholzgen

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 03:08:18 PM »

Ah yes the welded piston :)
2002 Roll Design Lobo MX
2002 Laegers CRF450R Hybrid
1985 ATC 70

Offline croat1

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 11:36:15 AM »

Here’s the link to the video where this piston was seen. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ev2tPfzIncE

Offline jcs003

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2024, 07:49:22 AM »
Appears to be a bad idea in my opinion.   As mentioned could scrape oil away and throw the assembly out of balance if it not done with an attention to mass and location and the consideration to piston durability.   All those dimples are areas where three will be heat concentrations.  Just an assumption but I would avoid such a crazy approach that could probably be resolved with more clearance.

Offline Jerry Hall

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2024, 10:41:56 PM »
 :(

Here’s the link to the video where this piston was seen. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ev2tPfzIncE

I watched the above video and a few other of his videos:(  It is sad to see a guy that has a lot of followers/viewers, at this level of experience making videos about motor building.  I hope his viewers are watching his videos for comedy and the bling factor and not to learn new mechanical skills that they can use on their own engines and quads. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38