TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Pipe I.D. Help  (Read 2838 times)

Offline zarathos

Pipe I.D. Help
« on: October 02, 2013, 01:25:40 PM »
Hey guys, need some help identifying this pipe. I don't know the history of the quad and have no way of finding out, so I just have figure out what I have. Anyway, I'd like to find out what it is because if it is a decent quality pipe and my cylinder is unported, I'll clean this pipe up and have my cylinder ported to match.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:41:12 PM by zarathos »

Offline C-Leigh Racing

Pipe I.D. Help
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
Sure looks like a Bill's, but I'll have to check the one I have at the shop.
I can tell you by its shape, pretty much a mid range pipe.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing, in memory of Caraleigh Pritchard
Race team for 2015
Chuckie Creech #25 TRX450R, Pro, Pro Am, Pro Am Unlimited
Andrea Creech # 25 TRX450R, Womens (National ATVA EDT)
Andrea Creech #33 TRX350R, Womens (local EDT)

If it aint got a hot weed eater 2 stroke engine, all its good for is a pit bike

Offline zarathos

Pipe I.D. Help
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
Thanks Neil. My impression from riding it was that it was a mid-range pipe, so its good to have some confirmation on that. Is a Bill's pipe a good pipe? Would it be worth having chromed or otherwise coated? It only has that one little dent that is visible and seems to perform ok (I like a mid-range pipe).

Offline rk88r

Pipe I.D. Help
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:11:58 PM »
Most chromers won't touch used pipe. They don't like the crud in their tanks. Take a pic of the pipe connection that might help clear up the mystery.
\'99 Laeger narrow, cr link, +3+1 protrax, Peps, with a LED 363
\'88 265 pv peps
One other \'88

Offline C-Leigh Racing

Pipe I.D. Help
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 12:33:51 PM »
It looks a lot like the old Bill's I have, but could be a different year model than mine.
Bill attached a diamond shaped name plate just about where the center section welded to together, so look close & see if there at least four tiny weld spots where a tag could have been welded in place, but removed now.

Lot of people, would be surprised at who old Bill taught how to build pipes. When you get time, search around for pipe pics & see if you can pick out which pipes shape look like a Bill's pipe.
Years ago Bill's was the pipe to have, then CT came on the scene with their big stinger mid range, then it was bark, grunt & go & everybody behind you trying to figure out how you were doing it.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing, in memory of Caraleigh Pritchard
Race team for 2015
Chuckie Creech #25 TRX450R, Pro, Pro Am, Pro Am Unlimited
Andrea Creech # 25 TRX450R, Womens (National ATVA EDT)
Andrea Creech #33 TRX350R, Womens (local EDT)

If it aint got a hot weed eater 2 stroke engine, all its good for is a pit bike

Offline rk88r

Pipe I.D. Help
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 08:43:06 AM »
I've got a Bill's at a casual look it has a lot of similarities to my trx 5.
\'99 Laeger narrow, cr link, +3+1 protrax, Peps, with a LED 363
\'88 265 pv peps
One other \'88

Offline zarathos

Pipe I.D. Help
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 10:37:01 AM »
Thanks a lot guys. Now I have to decide if I'm going to clean it up and paint it or buy a new pipe. I really would like a chrome pipe, but I'm happy with the performance of this pipe. Decisions, decisions...

Offline Bowtie316

Pipe I.D. Help
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 01:00:07 PM »
Quote from: zarathos;13858
Thanks a lot guys. Now I have to decide if I'm going to clean it up and paint it or buy a new pipe. I really would like a chrome pipe, but I'm happy with the performance of this pipe. Decisions, decisions...

I have a FMF fatty pipe that was ceramic coated prior to me getting it, it has held up well for the year and a half that I have owned it. It's not a chrome look though, more like polished aluminum.

Also, I recently rode with a guy that had sprayed his pipe with some kind of black barbeque paint and it looked awesome in contrast to the white plastic on his bike.  I might try that some time in the future.

I have an older FMF pipe (not sure which) that looks very similar to the one in your picture.  It is a very good midrange pipe but it still pulls good on the top end.  I will keep it over the fatty for sure.

Offline zarathos

Pipe I.D. Help
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 01:20:21 PM »
I wonder if that non Fatty FMF is a SST. The SST looks like it would be a good mid-range pipe, and is somewhat similar to a Bill's pipe.

Offline Bowtie316

Pipe I.D. Help
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 01:41:06 PM »
Quote from: zarathos;13881
I wonder if that non Fatty FMF is a SST. The SST looks like it would be a good mid-range pipe, and is somewhat similar to a Bill's pipe.

That I can't say for sure, I seen a picture of one once on .net that looked the same, that guy said it was an early fatty. It has an older style fmf logo on it so it's definately pretty old.  I haven't had it off to look for any markings but that is going to happen shortly.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38