TRX250r.org

Author Topic: How reliable is a 250r engine???  (Read 10382 times)

Offline bnau267

How reliable is a 250r engine???
« on: November 05, 2013, 11:00:44 PM »
Maybe I'm crazy but I see a lot of articles related to engine seizures.  I run the hell out of my dirt bikes and never have to worry about this or any engine failure for that matter.  My YZ is easily as reliable as my 400ex.  I'm in my rookie season with the R and mainly run a bone stock 89.  Do I need to worry about the R or are you guys just building them up and leaning them out so much that it puts the reliability at risk?  I'm thinking about getting the LED 300 kit but would love to hear some expert views on reliability.  I want to run pump gas too....

Offline Pumashine

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 11:44:27 PM »
I run the hell out of my 408 puma, 412 pilot cylinder and my 431 puma. Wide open throttle on the dunes for hours on end. Never seen a seizure. I believe the part about leaning them out is what the main problem must be. I run straight 110 race fuel and have a 15:1 compression ratio on all of them. Running klotz r-50 30:1 with 40.5mm keihen carbs. You can run a lower compression ratio and use pump gas all day long.
Puma 408, Puma 431,  Pilot 412, Puma 431, Mini-tooth 486 Trx450r
89mm  Mini tooth Shearer in frame pipe chromed! With Cascade  Q

Offline KASEY

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:05:28 AM »
I have an 86 250r that still has the original piston in it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I WANT ANIMATED GIF\'S FOR MY SIGNATURE PLEASE.....

Offline PORTED R

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 12:22:03 AM »
My uncle owns a 85 trike with original piston and it's Never been split ,starts up in about 3 to 5 kicks
McCoy ProX 350 5mil Duner
McCoys Performance -1-530-476-2222

Offline broken1

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 12:27:07 AM »
In 91 I put an oem long rod crank in my 86 after the big end rod bearing failed. Other than rebuilding the top end & installing new clutch steel's & fibers a few times over the years i'd have to say that 22 years of hard dune riding is a testament to the reliability of the 250R engine.

Offline bnau267

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:48:18 AM »
My 89 is oem except plug, filter, and rings.  I have an 86 that runs ok and has never been opened up.  So what I'm hearing is that a 300 kit should be as reliable as hell.  That's all I'm trying to get a feel for.  I'd like to be able to run with the 450's when the road opens up and have a little more omph for climbing the hills.  Guess I need to stop reading to much into the engine seizure stories....

Offline red88r

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 02:03:32 AM »
I would say very reliable.  Most of the time when people have problems with them it is because of a jetting issue or air leak.  Or something else dumb like forgetting to mix the oil.  Of all the R's I had over the years and currently own I have never had one seize up or fly apart.  And I run them summer and winter since the mid 90's.
In loving memory of my brother Dustin #81 1986-2006
1989 TRX 250R
1988 TRX CT330R
1987 TRX Duncan 265PV
1986 TRX 250R
1985 ATC 250R

Offline Pumashine

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 09:06:06 AM »
Of course many of us make the mistake of putting a pipe and K&N on with the airbox lid removed with out putting a large enough jet in the main. I seized the same cylinder 6 times after doing this mod. Then got a 310 and seized that one also. Some of us just can't stay off the throttle. Just needs to be jetted a little rich.
Puma 408, Puma 431,  Pilot 412, Puma 431, Mini-tooth 486 Trx450r
89mm  Mini tooth Shearer in frame pipe chromed! With Cascade  Q

Offline Jerry Hall

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 10:44:24 AM »
Quote from: bnau267;16710
Maybe I'm crazy but I see a lot of articles related to engine seizures.  I run the hell out of my dirt bikes and never have to worry about this or any engine failure for that matter.  My YZ is easily as reliable as my 400ex.  I'm in my rookie season with the R and mainly run a bone stock 89.  Do I need to worry about the R or are you guys just building them up and leaning them out so much that it puts the reliability at risk?  I'm thinking about getting the LED 300 kit but would love to hear some expert views on reliability.  I want to run pump gas too....

A stock Trx 250R is bullet proof not idiot proof.  

The reason a stock 250R is bullet proof is because the engineers at Honda do a lot of testing and correct the design flaws and have the engine tuned fairly close when we buy them new.  

We see a few common situations when owners are having reliability problems.  

The majority of the aftermarket parts do not undergo enough testing to find and correct the design flaws before they are sold to the public.  

Customers read the adds for different engine components and modifications offered by various shops, mail order companies and believe the claims in the adds.

We encounter one or more or a combinations of the most common errors/scenarios on a weekly basis:

!.  I had xxxxxxxx  port my cylinder because he said he had a new computer program on how to port cylinders or... the guy that ported my cylinder said that he would make me a good deal on porting and he can match up the porting to work with any exhaust pipe of my choice.

2.  The customer has a shop build their engine that does not know how to test and select components that work together, that will be easy to tune and meet the longevity expectations for the type of engine build.

3.  The customer decided that he can put together a winning engine package based upon the claims in the adds of various mail order companies and shops.  The customer had someone port the cylinder for low end power.  They bought the largest carburetor that will fit on their bike from someone else.  The customer bought a pipe that was advertised to be a mid-range pipe.  They bough a head with replaceable domes so that they can use pump gas.  They bought a CDI box that allows them to change timing curves.  The list of mismatched engine components just goes on and on.

The customer in # 3 usually spends a lot of money on components and modifications that will not work together and produce the results that seemed logical to him bases on the claims in the advertisements.

Find a engine  builder that has a reputation for CONSISTENTLY building powerful, reliable and easy to tune engine packages for your model of engine and application. Listen to him and follow his advice and instructions carefully. A cook cannot expect a dish to turn out as expected it he does not follow EVERY instruction in the recipe.  An engine builder that has these skills does NOT have to advertise to stay busy or does not need to stand on the corner in a clown costume waving a sign with a list of services and prices trying to attract another one time customer.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:53:41 PM by Jerry Hall »

Offline bnau267

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
Great response Jerry.  You just nailed what I was hoping to accomplish with the post.  Thanks.  I'm working like a nut NOT to become the guy in scenario #3.  I have two engines that I am 100% confident in with no worries - my stock 89 and 86.  Probably leaving them that way.  Got two engines that need to be married up with the right builder to get OEM type reliability that can hang with the 450's and my 4x4 buddies sporting 80hp.  I've owned a newer KTM 300 and that is the type of power I'm looking for.  So, I would like my R to feel similar to a stock KTM300 and have the reliability of a OEM 250R, YZ250, etc.  I want to run Sunoco 94!  Maybe this mill is not possible but this is my dream 250R engine.....PM me if you are that engine builder who can deliver this package and also picks up the phone and remembers my name (Bob) post sale.

Offline Drewski

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 12:12:04 PM »
My R is pinned year round and its as sure as the sun rises in the east. Like the ad use to say "Best On Earth". Whether its a push mower, an R, an atc or a generator; Hondas just wont quit!

Offline Tbone07

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
Quote from: bnau267;16767
Great response Jerry.  You just nailed what I was hoping to accomplish with the post.  Thanks.  I'm working like a nut NOT to become the guy in scenario #3.  I have two engines that I am 100% confident in with no worries - my stock 89 and 86.  Probably leaving them that way.  Got two engines that need to be married up with the right builder to get OEM type reliability that can hang with the 450's and my 4x4 buddies sporting 80hp.  I've owned a newer KTM 300 and that is the type of power I'm looking for.  So, I would like my R to feel similar to a stock KTM300 and have the reliability of a OEM 250R, YZ250, etc.  I want to run Sunoco 94!  Maybe this mill is not possible but this is my dream 250R engine.....PM me if you are that engine builder who can deliver this package and also picks up the phone and remembers my name (Bob) post sale.

I'm sure Jerry would do this also, but I don't have any experience with him.

Arlan @ LED is building a 350 Spyhnx for me right now and has been A+ with the customer service. I'm hoping by quad can run like the KTM 300 as well. I've ridden one of those and the power is perfect
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline Hawaiiysr

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »
Check this tread out.
http://trx250r.org/showthread.php?711-bills-championship-winning-250R-(run-down-on-set-up)

Arlan at LED said he will offer his 300 for $1000 until February. If Arlan is not a reputable builder I don't know who is.

Offline rsss396

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 02:33:21 PM »
Very well written Jerry

I have another customer to add to that list, the customer that makes changes to the builders setup before ever running the motor. now if runs good or bad who gets the credit or the blame
Anyone looking for a great builder I highly recommend the following.
For CP products dealers I would recommend:
Arlan at LED(site sponsor), Pete Schemberger at Hybrid Engineering, Mat Shearer at Shearer Custom Pipes, Dennis Packard at Packard Racing, and Nate McCoy of McCoys Peformance.

Other great builders I also would recommend: Neil Prichard, Jerry Hall, Bubba Ramsey and James Dodge.

Offline jfwyatt1

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 05:47:19 PM »
Quote from: Jerry Hall;16760
A stock Trx 250R is bullet proof not idiot proof.  

The reason a stock 250R is bullet proof is because the engineers at Honda do a lot of testing and correct the design flaws and have the engine tuned fairly close when we buy them new.  

We see a few common situations when owners are having reliability problems.  

The majority of the aftermarket parts do not undergo enough testing to find and correct the design flaws before they are sold to the public.  

Customers read the adds for different engine components and modifications offered by various shops, mail order companies and believe the claims in the adds.

We encounter one or more or a combinations of the most common errors/scenarios on a weekly basis:

!.  I had xxxxxxxx  port my cylinder because he said he had a new computer program on how to port cylinders or... the guy that ported my cylinder said that he would make me a good deal on porting and he can match up the porting to work with any exhaust pipe of my choice.

2.  The customer has a shop build their engine that does not know how to test and select components that work together, that will be easy to tune and meet the longevity expectations for the type of engine build.

3.  The customer decided that he can put together a winning engine package based upon the claims in the adds of various mail order companies and shops.  The customer had someone port the cylinder for low end power.  They bought the largest carburetor that will fit on their bike from someone else.  The customer bought a pipe that was advertised to be a mid-range pipe.  They bough a head with replaceable domes so that they can use pump gas.  They bought a CDI box that allows them to change timing curves.  The list of mismatched engine components just goes on and on.

The customer in # 3 usually spends a lot of money on components and modifications that will not work together and produce the results that seemed logical to him bases on the claims in the advertisements.

Find a engine  builder that has a reputation for CONSISTENTLY building powerful, reliable and easy to tune engine packages for your model of engine and application. Listen to him and follow his advice and instructions carefully. A cook cannot expect a dish to turn out as expected it he does not follow EVERY instruction in the recipe.  An engine builder that has these skills does NOT have to advertise to stay busy or does not need to stand on the corner in a clown costume waving a sign with a list of services and prices trying to attract another one time customer.
agree with this 100%

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38