TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Skid plates  (Read 10958 times)

Offline Piney0

Skid plates
« on: February 02, 2014, 11:12:55 PM »
I have a couple of skid plate questions.  I'm looking for some underside armor to protect the powdercoating some and I have a few skid plate questions.  

Are all years interchangeable?
Who's making them?  I see AC Racing and Armadillo ones on ebay, anyone else?
Anyone make their own?  looks like something I could produce from a flat sheet of metal.  
What about swingarm skid plates, I have an '86 swingarm, do these interchange too?

Just looking for some options.  Thanks.

Offline Brett

Skid plates
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 03:06:31 AM »
Quote from: Piney0;24438
I have a couple of skid plate questions.  I'm looking for some underside armor to protect the powdercoating some and I have a few skid plate questions.  

Are all years interchangeable?
Who's making them?  I see AC Racing and Armadillo ones on ebay, anyone else?
Anyone make their own?  looks like something I could produce from a flat sheet of metal.  
What about swingarm skid plates, I have an '86 swingarm, do these interchange too?

Just looking for some options.  Thanks.

If you're looking for an 86 swinger skid I have a new in bag PRM one. I think the chassis skids are all the same though, I have an AC and it has yet to let me down.

-Brett-
86 TRX250R
Gusseted Frame, Pro-X/ESR 310 Cyl, 01 CR250 Ignition, Boyesen Rad Valve, LRD Team Pipe/Silencer, Uni filter, 38mm Air Stryker, 89 Update, Powdered Ign & Clutch Covers, Fullbores, 450R Front Brakes/Hubs, LSR Anti-Fade, LSR +2/+1 A-Arms, Durablue +2/+4 Axle, AC Pro-Pegs, Works Triple Rates w/ Rezzies, OMF Rad Scoops and Louver, Walsh Radiator, Silicone Hoses, Galfer Rotors, Braided Lines, ESR Billet Kicker, Counterbalancer holder and Temp Gauge

Offline Pricecheck

Skid plates
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 10:39:41 AM »
I'd love to chime in on this.  Note that what I have right now contradicts what I'm writing.

Any type of aluminum or steel skid plate will "stick" to obstacles such as rocks and such.  Even though they are strong and take abuse pretty well they still stick.  Now HDPE (high density polyethylene), the same material on cutting boards and ski/snowboard park boxes, is something to use.  It is lightweight, doesn't show too much abrasions and slides the best.  This being said, it's not the strongest material unless you increase the thickness.  Increasing the thickness not only increases weight but also reduces ground clearance.  A side note is that I've also heard of the HDPE being heated up and molded to contours.  This would be slick up front of the bike.

Now something to consider if you're bashing this skid across rocks a whole lot would be to use about a 11gauge aluminum sheet against the frame and then the HDPE attached to it.  This would increase strength and provide that slide you need.  Check out a lot of the rock crawlers.  More so the moon buggy's and stuff.  I have done a lot of research into this due to my obsession a few years ago when I was into rock crawling and was designing a complete tube chassis.  Pirate4x4.com is a good site to check out.

This all being said, I was at Troy's one night and he showed me a skid on one of his quads.  I believe he said it was a trx450r skid plate that was trimmed down to fit.  Looked pretty decent.

This all being said, I might see if my full ac skid will fit on my wife's 88 frame and just fabricate myself a skid.  I don't smash my quad on rocks just yet but I definitely feel ya when you don't want to scratch up the freshly powdered frame.  I hope this helps give you insight and some options.

Offline zcarlson12

Skid plates
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 11:11:46 AM »
Gt Thunder makes a poly skid that a lot of XC racers use. I think it's $25 or something close to that. I had a local machine shop make one out of aluminum for me and it cost like $50. Really it's all personal preference. Do you like to fabricate/have it fabricated or do you want to buy something. I'm refering to the belly skid, the swingarm is a different story.
Laeger 310R

Offline 05450r

Skid plates
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 11:16:15 AM »
The Gt Thunder ones are nice, and cheap. Not real thick but plenty enough to get the job done. They also curve up at the front for added protection, and yes, the 450r ones will work!!
04 450r XC
LNP Like New Parts Powder Coating

Offline Pricecheck

Skid plates
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »
I love fabbing.  Although, $25 is cheap.  I'll look into the gt thunder skids.  I do have to say that if I like it and my wife likes the poly skid, I'll be selling my AC full skid.  It's in great condition.

Edit:  Just looked at their site.  Nothing there.  I've read that using the 450 on and trimming would work.  I think I might custom make.  (Wondering if I get the white one if I could dye a design or something into it)

Offline Tbone07

Skid plates
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 01:24:10 PM »
Quote from: Pricecheck;24470
I love fabbing.  Although, $25 is cheap.  I'll look into the gt thunder skids.  I do have to say that if I like it and my wife likes the poly skid, I'll be selling my AC full skid.  It's in great condition.

Edit:  Just looked at their site.  Nothing there.  I've read that using the 450 on and trimming would work.  I think I might custom make.  (Wondering if I get the white one if I could dye a design or something into it)

It's there.

http://www.gtthunder.com/models/450R.htm
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline sameltoe

Skid plates
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 01:29:26 PM »

Gt thunder's.. you need to trim off about 4-6inches off the front.
Arens, Arsfx, BHP363
Arens, lsr dc2 no link, lsr dc4, BHP363

Offline Pricecheck

Skid plates
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »
Sweet.  That looks slick.  Does it wrap around the sides?  I hope not since I don't want to have that trough effect.
Does it bend upwards towards the bumper?

I think I might have to pick one up and fab a swingarm skid to match

Offline sameltoe

Skid plates
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 03:10:07 PM »
o it's completely flat...I dont remember a bend up front either, but I can look tonight.

As far as rear skids...I've always been partial to prm's
Arens, Arsfx, BHP363
Arens, lsr dc2 no link, lsr dc4, BHP363

Offline 05450r

Skid plates
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 03:19:09 PM »
They mustve heated and bent that 4" up on the one I had, the bend was pretty much 4"
04 450r XC
LNP Like New Parts Powder Coating

Offline rk88r

Skid plates
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
Mine came out flat. The part that I heated with a lighter browned a little.
\'99 Laeger narrow, cr link, +3+1 protrax, Peps, with a LED 363
\'88 265 pv peps
One other \'88

Offline Pricecheck

Skid plates
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »
I'm probably going to measure my frame and purchase 1/4" HDPE and cut it and mold it to exactly how I want it.  No extra bolt holes or anything.

I want to somehow dye it with a design.  Maybe our site name!

Offline rk88r

Skid plates
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »
I don't think it came with any holes at all. I added them to drain the oil and for mud/water/snow evacuation. Maybe a design that says "this side down" or something.
\'99 Laeger narrow, cr link, +3+1 protrax, Peps, with a LED 363
\'88 265 pv peps
One other \'88

Offline Brett

Skid plates
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »
I work as a chef, ill just bolt cutting boards to my chassis

-Brett-
86 TRX250R
Gusseted Frame, Pro-X/ESR 310 Cyl, 01 CR250 Ignition, Boyesen Rad Valve, LRD Team Pipe/Silencer, Uni filter, 38mm Air Stryker, 89 Update, Powdered Ign & Clutch Covers, Fullbores, 450R Front Brakes/Hubs, LSR Anti-Fade, LSR +2/+1 A-Arms, Durablue +2/+4 Axle, AC Pro-Pegs, Works Triple Rates w/ Rezzies, OMF Rad Scoops and Louver, Walsh Radiator, Silicone Hoses, Galfer Rotors, Braided Lines, ESR Billet Kicker, Counterbalancer holder and Temp Gauge

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38