TRX250r.org

Author Topic: TORN (Texas Off Road Nationals) Round 9 - Nov 22/23 - Maypearl, TX - Recap/Results  (Read 4786 times)

Offline Onski326

Well, I finally got a win this year. Last race of the season but I'll take it!
It was forecast to be a wet day. Practice wasn't bad. Actually it was pretty nice. Made for a very tacky track with no dust. But then the rain came. Half-way through the race we had standing water on the track. And that was with around 40 quads going around in circles it still built up.
So I missed third gear on the holeshot and ended up coming out of the corner in 3rd. 2nd spun out a turn later and I was able to get by him and then 1st took an old line up a hill a few turns later and I took a newer line and was able to pass him. After that there was no looking back. Ended up doing 4 laps total I believe. Ran out of tear-offs on lap 2. Took off the goggles midway through lap 3. It was so slick, that the 250R's uneven powerband actually helped me out a ton. I would lug it through the corners, not putting down too much torque and spinning tires and spinning out, but by the time I got out of the corner and up to speed a bit, the pipe would come on and I'd be moving along well enough that it didn't break traction all that bad. Poor four stroke guys were fighting to keep traction in corners. I have no idea how many I passed from other classes on the first lap because they'd spun out or slid into a tree or hooked a tree. So the R did very well and I was substantially faster than the other 450's on lap times as well.
Sorry guys, no GoPro this round. My mother-%$#*(NG GoPro has been freezing up on me lately upon start-up. Anyone ever had issues like that with theirs? Me neither. Only used mine less than a dozen times since I got it new. And last week when I went to charge it before the race I noticed it acting up. I'd power it up and the display would come up and then freeze. No button did any good. Had to remove the battery. Tried a reset, tried a different SD card. Tried no SD card. Working on doing a reboot of the software now. Anyone ever had anything similar? I guess it's not that uncommon either. Should have done my research before hand. It would have been a good one to get on tape but then again, it may have just been a muddy, blurry mess too. Oh well. Still lovin my 1st place. :)  And that should have set me for 3rd overall for the year in the championship too.
Till next year...
\'87 Honda TRX250R #326 Toobz Audio/OPS/KP Racing
\'08 Suzuki RM-Z250
\'05 Honda CRF250R
\'05 Honda TRX450R
Onski Powersports
Kased Plates-Lifetime Skid Plates

Offline 2ndmoto

Good Job Onski! Where does this win put you in the championship? I got to Austin last night. Looking for a place over the next few weeks. Hopefully Ill get my bikes down here by the new year.

Best Regards
-Jason

Offline Onski326

Thanks. I ended up 3rd. 4 points out of 2nd. No chance of catching 1st at any point but I did miss a couple races due to some family issues. Had I just made one of them, 2nd would have been mine...all MINE!!! HAHAHA.  Sorry. Got carried away. lol

I hope you like Austin. Had a friend that lived there for a while before they moved to NYC. They miss Austin. Night life is really something there too. Check out 6th street if you're into that. Otherwise you're in Hill country so there's some nice scenery there. Not far from the coast. The wife and I love Galveston. Good eats and I love the ocean.

Bring the bikes! February isn't far away. That's usually about the time TORN starts up their season again. And if/when you get settled in, give me a shout and we'll have to do some riding.
\'08 Suzuki RM-Z250
\'05 Honda CRF250R
\'05 Honda TRX450R
Onski Powersports

Offline Tbone07

Nice race report!

Do you think if you could have made all the races you could grab 1st overall for the year?
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline Onski326

I doubt it. The guy that got 1st was pretty quick. I would have gotten 2nd no doubt in my mind. 1st place was usually a minute a lap faster than the rest of the group. He's a solid A class rider if not even Expert. Super nice guy though. He was the one that flipped after the first corner in the last race on my GoPro. But at least I lost to another Honda.
I'm hoping to run a stroked power valve setup next year instead of my current one. Still not sure it would have run down 1st place but I think it would have given him fits. And if I can ever get my carpel tunnel fixed, then I have a serious shot at 1st. That's the major thing holding me back at the moment. The bike handles super awesome and feels light as a feather in the woods. Traction is superb with my CST Pulse's (if I can keep them sealed on the bead) but my backup Razors have filled in well.
I had debates as to going back to a four stroke for next year. I think it would be easier to race and easier on my carpel tunnel. At least keeping it at bay a little longer into the races because I'd be working less at it. But even after hopping on a good 450, I don't get off with that smile on my face. And I keep getting back on the R and finding that satisfaction in just riding. Plus it smells awesome with my VP110 and Klotz mix! I think with a few more mods in the motor department to get me some more low end torque out of the corners and in the woods, I'll be just right where I want it to be. After all, I know it's fast enough on the top and I've pulled the holeshot on 450's this year before so no excuses there.
So anyone looking to sell at nice bolt in PV 310/330 kit cheap, please look me up! :)
\'08 Suzuki RM-Z250
\'05 Honda CRF250R
\'05 Honda TRX450R
Onski Powersports

Offline Tbone07

Quote from: Onski326;46592
I doubt it. The guy that got 1st was pretty quick. I would have gotten 2nd no doubt in my mind. 1st place was usually a minute a lap faster than the rest of the group. He's a solid A class rider if not even Expert. Super nice guy though. He was the one that flipped after the first corner in the last race on my GoPro. But at least I lost to another Honda.
I'm hoping to run a stroked power valve setup next year instead of my current one. Still not sure it would have run down 1st place but I think it would have given him fits. And if I can ever get my carpel tunnel fixed, then I have a serious shot at 1st. That's the major thing holding me back at the moment. The bike handles super awesome and feels light as a feather in the woods. Traction is superb with my CST Pulse's (if I can keep them sealed on the bead) but my backup Razors have filled in well.
I had debates as to going back to a four stroke for next year. I think it would be easier to race and easier on my carpel tunnel. At least keeping it at bay a little longer into the races because I'd be working less at it. But even after hopping on a good 450, I don't get off with that smile on my face. And I keep getting back on the R and finding that satisfaction in just riding. Plus it smells awesome with my VP110 and Klotz mix! I think with a few more mods in the motor department to get me some more low end torque out of the corners and in the woods, I'll be just right where I want it to be. After all, I know it's fast enough on the top and I've pulled the holeshot on 450's this year before so no excuses there.
So anyone looking to sell at nice bolt in PV 310/330 kit cheap, please look me up! :)

What's your current cylinder setup?

If I remember correctly it was a OEM cylinder. If that's so then all you may need is a nice ESR 310. Maybe have someone else port it then go out there and kick some ass
LED Performance 350R

RIP Laz

Offline Onski326

I started the season with a stock, slightly ported 195psi cylinder. Around mid summer I came across a used non-PV 310 for a really good price. Only down side is it's on its last bore (73.5mm) and it's a dune port. I was able to squeeze 205psi out of it by running a 16cc head so I got some bottom end back but it still has a lot to be desired. Still better than the stock setup I was running. Bottom end is stock.
I agree, a woods ported PV310 would work out wonderfully for what I want. I'd thought about the 330PV bolt on set up but we'll see how nice Santa is to me this year.
My stock rig wouldn't really keep up with the 450's anywhere. Close but lacked. My current 310 has pulled the holeshot and will keep up and can almost run down the 450's on the straights but really shines on the switchbacks. The setup just lacks that little bit of grunt right off-idle in the woods and out of corners. That's what I'm hoping a ported 200+psi PV motor will give me.
\'08 Suzuki RM-Z250
\'05 Honda CRF250R
\'05 Honda TRX450R
Onski Powersports

Offline Tbone07

Quote from: Onski326;46595
I started the season with a stock, slightly ported 195psi cylinder. Around mid summer I came across a used non-PV 310 for a really good price. Only down side is it's on its last bore (73.5mm) and it's a dune port. I was able to squeeze 205psi out of it by running a 16cc head so I got some bottom end back but it still has a lot to be desired. Still better than the stock setup I was running. Bottom end is stock.
I agree, a woods ported PV310 would work out wonderfully for what I want. I'd thought about the 330PV bolt on set up but we'll see how nice Santa is to me this year.
My stock rig wouldn't really keep up with the 450's anywhere. Close but lacked. My current 310 has pulled the holeshot and will keep up and can almost run down the 450's on the straights but really shines on the switchbacks. The setup just lacks that little bit of grunt right off-idle in the woods and out of corners. That's what I'm hoping a ported 200+psi PV motor will give me.

If you're going to go to a 330, you might as well go to the 350, non-PV. You can get enough grunt out of that to where to PV isn't much of a benefit
LED Performance 350R

RIP Laz

Offline Victork

Congrats! I wish the go pro was working to see those passes

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38