TRX250r.org

Author Topic: New bike, new project!  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Leftynanners

New bike, new project!
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:48:07 PM »
Hello all! Well I ended up picking up this bike a while back. It's a 295 (stock cylinder) with a couple goodies on it. I took it out for the first time this weekend to Glamis. It was my first time duning with a 250r and it was a blast. This bike has pretty good power low to mid and amazing power up top. Unfortunately I broke the tranny while drag racing out at Gecko. I couldn't shift past 3rd gear and I heard a nasty clunking sound in the bottom end. I put it up on jack stands at home and I'm noticing that first through third gear engage normally. In fourth gear the tires spin like if the bike is in neutral. And in fifth gear it spins like if it's in neutral and it makes a clunking sound. I'm not able to shift into sixth. I'm thinking that I have a broken or bent shift fork or a broken gear. I've started to take everything apart and I've noticed a couple things. When I took off the stator cover a nice small stream of water poured out, so I'm assuming the previous owner neglected maintenance. Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for as I'm disassembling the bike? Any trouble spots that 250r's typically have? I noticed the castle nut on the rear hubs were very loose. I had the same issue with my hybrid. Is this something normal? Should I put loctite on there? And how are these 295 sleeved cylinders? is it worth it to keep running it? or should I polish it up, sell it, and spend a little more on an ESR 310?

I'm hoping to build a reliable duner without dumping too much money into it, but you all know how that plan doesn't work out too well most of the times lol

Here's a couple pics of the bike. The blue and black one is mine, the red yellow and black is my cousins bike. We were proudly representing the R at Glamis!

Here it is just about getting ready to be worked on. You can kind of see the corrosion on the flywheel. That white spot is the nut that holds the flywheel in place.

Offline Sand_Blaster

New bike, new project!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:55:38 PM »
Very nice quad! You might as well get a esr 310, they make good power & are cheap.
87 Trx250r & 99 Banshee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38