TRX250r.org

Poll

Are you interested in a high flow water pump impeller?

es, I am REALLY interested!
42 (91.3%)
o thank you
4 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Are you interested in a new high flow water pump impeller?  (Read 10149 times)

Offline rablack21

Are you interested in a new high flow water pump impeller?
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:37:22 AM »
I am designing a new higher flow water pump impeller for the 250R. It will be based off the same mounting design as the 89 impeller. Here is some pics of what it may look like.

I don't know how much better it will be until I test it. I won't sell any of them until I have confirmed a higher flow and to what percentage. They will be made out of 6061-T6 aluminum I'm not sure what they will cost yet either. It will partly depend on how many are made. Rest assured, they will be as cheap as possible. Also keep in mind that you will have to use an 89 style water pump shaft in order to use this impeller since it is modeled after the 89 mounting style. The 86-88 shafts and impellers have splines, and the 89 style does not. I'm not looking for commitments, just ones that would be seriously interested.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
Don't forget to vote at the top if you are interested, folks! You need to be counted!

Offline JesseA420

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 10:06:27 AM »
yes pending flow results.
Quote from: Hawaiiysr;66760
Yup i sucked the head. taste like dirt.

[/FONT]

Offline jcs003

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 09:21:08 AM »
increasing the efficiency is an excellent idea.  i think Jerry made too much out of your effort on the other thread.  even a small improvement of efficiency is good in my opinion.

John

Offline rablack21

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 08:49:30 AM »
Update:
Still trying to get quotes from various suppliers. Right now the prices are still a bit high and a prototype is still too expensive to test and be wrong. Just wanted to let y'all know I'm still working on this.

Offline JesseA420

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 10:10:14 AM »
couldnt you test the flow char with a rapid prototyped/3d printed pc?
Quote from: Hawaiiysr;66760
Yup i sucked the head. taste like dirt.

[/FONT]

Offline rablack21

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 10:12:46 AM »
Quote from: JesseA420;53982
couldnt you test the flow char with a rapid prototyped/3d printed pc?
Probably, if I found someone that had that equipment.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 08:34:25 AM »
Another Update:
I got a friend of mine to make me a 3d printed prototype impeller. I will use this for the first initial comparison testing against the oem impeller. More info will follow after. I will then order an aluminum proto for confirmation testing of my findings. Once I am satisfied with my results, I will start taking orders for these. Thank you guys for your patience. This is not the easiest project to take on while working overtime at my regular job.

Offline Tador

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 08:33:13 AM »
Very cool man. Do you have access to any CFD software? (Computational Fluid Dynamics).  If you can model the housing as well you should be able to do flow comparisons digitally. If I still worked for Borg Warner I would've offered to do it.
Also, for what it's worth, for prototyping we use a shop called "Zero Hour Parts" quite often. They can machine straight from a dxf file, and thus far, I've been very impressed with their quality / turn around time. (And that's coming from a former machinist; their work is dam nice). This is their website if you want to try them: http://www.zerohourparts.com/

Offline rablack21

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 08:47:39 AM »
Quote from: Tador;54114
Very cool man. Do you have access to any CFD software? (Computational Fluid Dynamics).  If you can model the housing as well you should be able to do flow comparisons digitally. If I still worked for Borg Warner I would've offered to do it.
Also, for what it's worth, for prototyping we use a shop called "Zero Hour Parts" quite often. They can machine straight from a dxf file, and thus far, I've been very impressed with their quality / turn around time. (And that's coming from a former machinist; their work is dam nice). This is their website if you want to try them: http://www.zerohourparts.com/

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the CFD software. Otherwise, I would take advantage of it. So I got to do it the old fashioned was. Build a proto and test it against the baseline. However from my time working with CFD, I tried incorporate the characteristics that have worked in the past to increase flow and worked them into my first design. It's not easy to hit something on the first shot, but we will see. I do have a friend that is making my 3d printed protos to help keep my cost down. So I will test the printed protos until I'm happy with the results, then order a metal proto to confirm my results. Thanks for the info on zero hour parts. I will keep the info for reference in case I need their services.

Offline Tador

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »
I hear you man, the company I'm working for now doesn't have nearly as cool of software as Borg did. I've developed a special hate for Unigraphics NX here! Supposedly they're switching us to Creo / Pro-E, but I have a feeling I'm still going to be griping that it's not SolidWorks.
Anyway back on topic, a buddy of mine is still at Borg and actually does CFD stuff, if you want I can ask him if he'd be willing to do a govt job. Might be a long shot, but I could ask. He works primarily with SolidWorks models, not sure what platform you're in or compatability.

Offline Tador

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 09:22:38 AM »
Dude! Check this out! I was just asking a guy at work about it, and he sent me this open source CFD: http://www.openfoam.com/

Offline havinnoj

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 12:40:07 AM »
You did the shaft, how about the impeller  [MENTION=100]rablack21[/MENTION]?! :D

This post is in The Mad Scientist section - can move to move visible location if you would like to proceed.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »
Quote from: havinnoj;56998
You did the shaft, how about the impeller  [MENTION=100]rablack21[/MENTION]?! :D

This post is in The Mad Scientist section - can move to move visible location if you would like to proceed.
I'm fine with wherever you want to to put the thread OJ. I am working on the impeller now, but not ready to sell yet.

Offline Dirt man

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
Is higher flow better? Is more flow going to force the fluid through the radiator to fast to allow it to cool? Not trying to be negative just wondering. I bought your impeller shafts and would like to see a new impeller as well. Especially for the atc guys.
It goes fast over bumps too!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38