TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Preparing for the 2016 mx season  (Read 5680 times)

Offline rablack21

Preparing for the 2016 mx season
« on: February 12, 2016, 07:48:16 PM »
It's that time again folks! It's just about race season again. And even though I am in Japan right now with work, I am still preparing for the things to come. A couple of new things this year:

1. I will be sporting Maxxis tires this year instead of ITP. This was a sponsorship change for my race team. So I sold all my itp tires (except 1 set, not sold yet), and purchased a brand new set of Maxxis XM's, front and rear. Don't ask me how I like them yet,lol, I have no clue. I just barely got them mounted before leaving for Japan at the beginning of February. I can tell you this; they have very tall tread lugs,which I like. The rears also seem to be very pliable, could be a good and bad thing. They will no doubt provide awesome traction, just not sure how long they will last. Here is a link if you want to check them out.
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-452-109-razr-xm

2. The 2nd new and cool thing this year will be that this will be the first year that I will be sporting a graphics kit. Probably should have years ago, but never did. We are sponsored by SSI decals; and as such, the whole race team will be sporting them. I'm very excited about this. I think it will be a welcome addition to up the cool factor! I have attached some pictures with my black fullbore race fenders and the new graphics proof picture. What do you guys think?

Other than that, I've only done a couple other things in preparing for this race season. I did install a 14 oz flywheel weight just before I left. I haven't ridden it yet to see how I like it. With the cr ignition and the 40mm smart carb, it makes this 363 very peppy. The acceleration can be explosive at times. That also makes traction an issue sometimes. I'm hoping that the large flywheel weight will:smooth out the power delivery a little, increase traction, and broaden the power range a little. We shall see. Hope you guys are excited to see some atv mx racing as I am! Looking forward to joining Zak Carlson and Doug Patterson out of the track this season.

Here is a copy of the races schedule for SE Quad Southern Championship Series 2016.

Offline Burns363R

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 09:08:31 PM »
Get it done Ryan!!!
TRX 363R 02- Laeger Narrow Frame/CR500 Link, Motowoz Suspension, Roll Design +4 LT Arms,RPM Dominator +4 axle, LED 363 MX, LED 350G Pipe, 38 A/S CR Ignition

TRX 370R 86- Laeger Std,ISF-No Link Swinger, JD MGC LT Arms) Motowoz Shocks, LED 370/350D pipe, 38 A/S Carb, 200w OEM Ignition

Offline Burns363R

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 09:09:02 PM »
What class you running?
TRX 363R 02- Laeger Narrow Frame/CR500 Link, Motowoz Suspension, Roll Design +4 LT Arms,RPM Dominator +4 axle, LED 363 MX, LED 350G Pipe, 38 A/S CR Ignition

TRX 370R 86- Laeger Std,ISF-No Link Swinger, JD MGC LT Arms) Motowoz Shocks, LED 370/350D pipe, 38 A/S Carb, 200w OEM Ignition

Offline rablack21

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:17:32 PM »
Thanks Kyle. I will be running C-class, as I am fat and slow. LOL. What do you think of the graphics colors? Will they go good with the black fullbores? I guess it will be easier to tell once the graphics are installed. I think they will be ok though. I noticed you have had quite a few graphics kits. Any tips or tricks to putting them on?

Offline etccb

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:52:14 PM »
I think that combo will look good ryan and not something that you see every day.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 09:59:14 PM »
Quote from: etccb;64577
I think that combo will look good ryan and not something that you see every day.

Thanks for the feedback, etccb. The graphics will basically be the same across the whole race team, but we get to decide the primary and secondary colors. So I thought the red and grey would go well together.

Offline Burns363R

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 11:37:08 PM »
I think it will look great.  Theres two methods for applying graphics. Use water and squeegee it out. Or stick dry any and use heat. I started using water but now do dry and use heat.

Reason is that its hard to get wrinkles out when its slippery from water. They just wrinkle over bends.

Sticking dry slowly and lots of heat will let the vinyl stretch  and lay flat over tight bends.

I recomend laying it out and thinking alot about the trouble spots you see.  Then start at one end and lay the graphic down with heat. When you get to a place that wants to wrinkle lots of heat and stretching to het it to lay flat.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 11:55:06 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the tips. I will try the heat.

Offline JoePA

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »
Well, well, well old man I see you gonna get your butt back in the saddle! I think I need to do the same. Can't wait to see how she looks with the graphics applied. Have you done any conditioning this year? I have not but I'm thinking about getting with Dominic @TheProgram and getting something setup to get me in shape. He works with the top riders and has impressive results.

Who are you sending your shocks to? I need to get mine tweaked and not sure if anyone is working at Andy's shop.

Offline rablack21

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »
Quote from: JoePA;64687
Well, well, well old man I see you gonna get your butt back in the saddle! I think I need to do the same. Can't wait to see how she looks with the graphics applied. Have you done any conditioning this year? I have not but I'm thinking about getting with Dominic @TheProgram and getting something setup to get me in shape. He works with the top riders and has impressive results.

Who are you sending your shocks to? I need to get mine tweaked and not sure if anyone is working at Andy's shop.
It's about time you showed your face! I have been doing some cycling classes at the gym and some weight lifting. I really need seat time more than anything. Working with a pro trainer that trains other racers? That sounds very promising. You need to get your butt in gear. I want to see some race videos and reports. We ain't getting any younger! I won't be sending my shocks out anytime soon as they are still on a fresh service. But I will probably using one of 2 sources. Either Drew at Maul Tech atv (trained under Andy) or Cage Tech ATV (guy also trained under Andy, but lives in the south). I wouldn't love to have a pair of Motowoz myself, but I don't have that kind of dough. Maybe one day. I can't complain about my shocks now though, vast improvement!

Offline oldschoolmx

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 12:59:56 PM »
Sounds awesome, keep us posted.

Offline havinnoj

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »
Side note [MENTION=125]JoePA[/MENTION] & [MENTION=100]rablack21[/MENTION] - would love to hear about the training programs for riders at some point if you come across good info or articles.

Offline PNWrider

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 06:40:03 PM »
What's a good front mx tire? I'll be using turf tamers in the rear

Offline rablack21

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 07:50:27 PM »
Quote from: PNWrider;64768
What's a good front mx tire? I'll be using turf tamers in the rear

I have had the best performance so far from the ITP quadcross mx2 front tires. However, I have heard great things about the Maxxis XM fronts. I have recently changed over to them so I haven't had a chance to try them out. To be continued....

Offline JoePA

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 12:07:17 PM »
Quote from: havinnoj;64764
Side note [MENTION=125]JoePA[/MENTION] & [MENTION=100]rablack21[/MENTION] - would love to hear about the training programs for riders at some point if you come across good info or articles.

There was one online that my brother would follow and it had a lot of core training. Good program but I had trouble getting all the daily updates online as the site was never consistent. If you look up TheProgram on Facebook you will see that Nick Moser, Joel Hettrick and a few other racers use Dominic who runs TheProgram. He does get results and sets up a program for those that are a distance away so you can achieve the same results, you just have to push yourself to do the program. I know Dominic very well and he rides and builds tracks so he knows what you need to win. If you contact him tell him I sent you.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38