TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Crank bearings  (Read 3243 times)

Offline sam mc 2000

Crank bearings
« on: August 03, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »
Hi everyone. I want to start by saying  nice forum. Here is my issue.  I am not sure what is the best way to put my crank in the cases. I have got new crank bearings and crank. My father already put the one bearing on the splined side of the crank. So i have the other bearing to install yet before i can put the cases back together. I was wondering is it best to install the other bearing into the case then freez the crank and install case halfs. Or insatll the bearing on the crank like the otherside and the heat the cases and install the crank. I wanted to install both bearings in the case first but he put on the bearing when i was not there and i cant pull the bearing my puller broke so i just need help what is the best way for me to do this from this point. Thank you for any help on this

Offline BJR88250r

Crank bearings
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »
Typically you'd wanna install bearings in cases first. Heat cases and freeze crank is what I've done in the past.

Offline Polonda

Crank bearings
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:24:56 PM »
I'm taking it you are using a hot rods crank?  An OEM crank would be a slip fit on the clutch side.  How did he put the bearing on the crank?

Your going to need a crank/crank tool to assemble it correctly.  Tusk makes a nice one at a decent price.

Offline sam mc 2000

Crank bearings
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:48:20 PM »
it is a new nos crank and new oem bearings do I need the tool

Offline Victork

Crank bearings
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 12:04:04 AM »
What i do is get the bearings in both cases, freeze the crank, heat left case bearing first, bang the crank in with a rubber mallet(not too crazy!), assemble the tranny, get the gasket set, heat right case, slide it over, work it down with the rubber mallet easy, then use the bolts to get it all snug and tight. This is how ive done several bottom ends on 250r motors.

Offline C-Leigh Racing

Crank bearings
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »
Any members live close to Victork, if you do, go by sometime or another, talk to him & when he aint looking steal has rubber mallet. :sign0108: :sign0181: :hopelessness:
Really though, if an OEM Honda crank is being used, already in the left case half & everything lined up, you most of the time got to hold up on the left side case to keep it from slamming down on the right side.
Theres some you'll need to wiggle a bit like if the case is crooked just a tad going on, but normally they are free to slide in place.

Heres something some of you not going to like, but it is something we might need to do until somebody here starts producing them.
If a Hot Rods crank is being used in the build, most all of us know they are not a slip fit into the clutch side main bearing, so you got to open the bearing up or either dress the crank to make it a slip fit or use the tool to pull the cases together. The last one I dont intend to do, if its not free to slide right into place I'll fix it so it is.
Theres a main bearing, that has been machined on the inner race to allow the Hot Rods to slip fit, but guess who has those bearings, yep you guessed it Carlos, so that is why I'm saying until somebody here offers them.
Dont everybody jump on me & start beating all at once, one or two at a time please cause I'm old & wont take much to knock me out :victorious:
Neil
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:43:41 AM by C-Leigh Racing »
C-Leigh Racing, in memory of Caraleigh Pritchard
Race team for 2015
Chuckie Creech #25 TRX450R, Pro, Pro Am, Pro Am Unlimited
Andrea Creech # 25 TRX450R, Womens (National ATVA EDT)
Andrea Creech #33 TRX350R, Womens (local EDT)

If it aint got a hot weed eater 2 stroke engine, all its good for is a pit bike

Offline dariusld

Crank bearings
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 01:10:06 PM »
Quote from: C-Leigh Racing;7171
Any members live close to Victork, if you do, go by sometime or another, talk to him & when he aint looking steal has rubber mallet.

Neil
That was funny :applause:

Offline Tbone07

Crank bearings
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »
Look on Rocky Mountain for the Tusk crank installer/puller. Extremely handy tool, you will be very glad that you invested in it. Can be used for multiple engines, either 2 or 4 stroke
LED Performance 350R
Laegers-JD Performance-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Laz

Offline jannick

Re: Crank bearings
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2024, 01:21:13 AM »
I understand you're in a bit of a bind with installing your crank bfw bearings. Since your father has already installed one bearing on the splined side, your options are limited

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38