TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Revvs then dies at idle  (Read 1676 times)

Offline evaneyeball

Revvs then dies at idle
« on: April 25, 2021, 05:03:00 AM »
I took my R to Florence this past weekend and was finally able to ride it with the new 350 CEO on it and it ran great other than a radiator issue and twords the end of the trip at idle it would rev it's self up and die I first noticed this going down a tree shot I had the clutch in all the way down. And at the bottom I had to wait for other people to go up so I was idling for about 2 minutes max and all of a sudden it revved up a few RPM and died then all the other times I went down it I was either on the gas more or not idling as long so it didn't happen again till I got home and was warming it up to get water off and it just sounded like it revved a little but then hit the kill switch. But if I'm on the gas at all no problem. I am entirely stumped. I went through the carb and nothing is wrong
LED built 86 trx 350 CEO
81 ATC250r
Zero finesse and alot of throttle

Offline The norm

Re: Revvs then dies at idle
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 11:54:48 AM »
Could it be lean? Are you using the oem trx250r petcock? You should be using a pingel valve on a bigbore or you can run out of fuel. What jets are in your carb? Needle and Needle position? Will it pass a leak down test? A two stroke revving up and dying is usually because it is running out of fuel..
Loren
1986 Trx250r-- Hybrid Engineering 391(Good bye super 310)
1986 Trx250r-- Hybrid Engineering  ported stock 86 cylinder
1986 Trx250r-- craigslist engine with unknown ported 89 cylinder.
1985 Atc250r-- Needs a lot of work (Super 310's new home)

Offline evaneyeball

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 01:46:12 PM »
I believe I have a 188 main and a 58 cej needle on the fourth clip and yes I did start fat then lean it out and that's where I ended and it is running rich I can tell on the plug and before I assembled it it passed a leak down and this just started happening it was idling fine one day then I noticed it the next day half way through so I don't think it's jetting but I am still using a stock petcock I haven't had a problem sofar but I will look into getting a pingel
LED built 86 trx 350 CEO
81 ATC250r

Offline traxman

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 02:50:29 AM »
Poor fuel flow of the gas cap vent tube and or check valve is stuck/plug. If it’s partially plugged you could ride awhile before a vacuum has formed where you’d start having starvation issues.

Offline evaneyeball

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 07:59:33 PM »
Ok so I dont know why i did do make this post a while ago but better late than never. So I thought it was a air leak and arlen thought it was too. And it passed a air leak but I noticed that there was some gray sludge In The exhaust port so I checked my timing and it was a little off I didnt really pay attention to which way it was off I just wanted to fix it, figured it just rattled loose. And I got it to the right setting and it fires up fine but when I blip the throttle it boggs like its not able to burn all the fuel i dont think its jetting cause i never touched it when I did the leak down. And I thought the cdi or coil had gone bad cause when I first fired it up it ran fine but In 3 short passes of the fence line it started bogging when given gas. So me going to LED on Fridays I talked to arlen about it and he sent me home with a entire new ignition. And I tried it and no change so I am going to talk to arlan on Monday but any information will help cause I do want any help possible. Its a 350 ceo ported by arlan with a hpi ignition a 38mm pwk and 350g led exhaust.
LED built 86 trx 350 CEO
81 ATC250r

Offline The norm

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 09:09:51 PM »
I would definitely try jetting it richer. Bog is a lean condition. I know I have beat this to death, but until you actually prove that the jetting is not too lean I will continue to suggest that you are lean. Every single two stroke I have had in my 30 years of riding has had a bog when lean.
Loren
1986 Trx250r-- Hybrid Engineering 391(Good bye super 310)
1986 Trx250r-- Hybrid Engineering  ported stock 86 cylinder
1986 Trx250r-- craigslist engine with unknown ported 89 cylinder.
1985 Atc250r-- Needs a lot of work (Super 310's new home)

Offline evaneyeball

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 09:47:10 PM »
It just seemed like a really big bog to still be running and not sieze cause admittedly I have started it alot like this. And what would cause it to do that cause I didnt touch jetting since the last ride. Is it probable that I somehow cracked the carb body taking it out thats all I can think of. Cause it ran great at Florence and the plug was pretty black and it started breaking up ( not breaking up but sounded lean, i just dont know what to call it) in the top end leading me to the think it was rich. I'm not ignoring you or trying to come up with a reason to make your suggestions wrong, I don't have anything  against you. And yes it does seem to me like a air leak issue however I dont think its jetting.cause I didnt mess with it when it began this problem. Also Im Thinking it could just be me setting the hpi wrong but the way it was described to me makes me think I'm right and arlan seemed to think I was right when I told him how I was setting it but I am known to do things like that.
LED built 86 trx 350 CEO
81 ATC250r

Offline traxman

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 08:50:34 PM »
Pull your plug and look at the top of your piston. If it’s the gray sludge I’m thinking of that’s from detonation and you could’ve lost a piston. You might be able to look up the exhaust port to and see the damage. It usually happens on exhaust side of the piston . It sounds like that’s what it is.?

Offline evaneyeball

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 12:18:46 AM »
It was detonating i thought. Also why I believed it was electrical issues. I did take a endoscope i forgot to take a picture with it will take one tomorrow and it didnt look like it was detonating. ( had one almost go from detonation a while ago). Now I think its Intake mabey i bumped something in the carb or Mabey broke it possibly i dont know
LED built 86 trx 350 CEO
81 ATC250r

Online croat1

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 07:13:26 PM »
Evan, did you get anything figured out?

Joe

Offline evaneyeball

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 09:46:54 PM »
I did sorry I did t post sooner crappy Internet it ended up being my top and bottom reeds had fallen out and one fell into the crank case
LED built 86 trx 350 CEO
81 ATC250r

Offline 2ndmoto

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 11:46:39 PM »
They fell. Did the screws fall out? Did you find the screws?

clean the cage threads and screws with brake clean, then add a drop of blue loctite. Cheap insurance

Offline evaneyeball

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 03:01:58 PM »
I actually have vforce 3 reeds so there are no screws and I'm guessing I cracked one while riding and I dont really know why they fell out so I replaced the center 2 and made sure all of the fasteners were on correctly. I probably put them back together wrong at one point
LED built 86 trx 350 CEO
81 ATC250r

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38