TRX250r.org

Author Topic: flywheel threads F'd, washer stuck  (Read 1260 times)

Offline atvmxr

flywheel threads F'd, washer stuck
« on: March 04, 2022, 08:55:02 AM »
I posted on FB, but maybe someone here has a bright idea before I used a 3 jaw puller to get my flywheel off.  The threads are completely corroded, can only get the flywheel puller on about a thread and a half.  there are bubbles of rust on the threads around 1/16-1/8" in size.

Will a 3 jaw puller even work?

also seems the washer is stuck on the flywheel.  Do I have to get the washer off first?
Bunch of race quads that run on premix

Offline broken1

Re: flywheel threads F'd, washer stuck
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 10:39:23 AM »
The washer will come off with the flywheel than you can un-seize it once its apart. You could try using a small wire wheel on a dremel to get in there & clean the rust out of the threads & an assortment of picks can be used to break up any stubborn chunks. A 3 jaw puller would work but hopefully you don't have to use one to get it off because its likely that would ruin it.

Offline 2ndmoto

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 11:19:47 AM »
I would suggest using a wire brush and some vinegar. 5% vinegar will slowly eat the rust. It will take some time and probably a few applications. After you get it clean use some penetrating fluid when install the fly wheel puller. Obviously you want to make sure the puller fully seats and does not cross thread.

Offline broken1

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 11:28:08 AM »
Something else I just thought of to get the rust out is you could use a small caliber gun cleaning brush that will fit in there between the nut & puller threads. Chuck it up in a drill & go to town. I use this method to clean up internal threads all the time & it works pretty good.

Offline The norm

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 12:29:37 PM »
To get the wash out of the flywheel you can use a small drift pin and a hammer to jar it loose. Take the drift and hold it square on the washer and smack it with a hammer. The impact will shock it loose, then use a small magnettoget the washer out. The waser is pretty hard so you probably won't damage it. Getting the washer out will allow you to screw the puller in further.
Hope that helps.
Loren
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 12:31:43 PM by The norm »
1986 Trx250r-- Hybrid Engineering 391(Good bye super 310)
1986 Trx250r-- Hybrid Engineering  ported stock 86 cylinder
1986 Trx250r-- craigslist engine with unknown ported 89 cylinder.
1985 Atc250r-- Needs a lot of work (Super 310's new home)

Offline atvmxr

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 03:41:12 PM »
Something else I just thought of to get the rust out is you could use a small caliber gun cleaning brush that will fit in there between the nut & puller threads. Chuck it up in a drill & go to town. I use this method to clean up internal threads all the time & it works pretty good.

Like this?

Offline croat1

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 07:29:36 PM »
As mentioned wire brushes and picks to get any loose chunks off.  Then I’d try a a chemical rust remover.  Then a wire brush again.  Finally a penetrating oil. 

Joe

Offline Jerry Hall

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 09:45:29 PM »
Don't use a 3 jaw puller to get the flywheel off.  It usually will not remove the flywheel from the crankshaft and only bends the flywheel and makes it unusable.  If you get the washer off and the rust from the threads make sure the puller engages the full length of the threads.  If the threads shear off the flywheel or puller and the flywheel is still stuck you may have to tig weld the puller to the flywheel to pull the flywheel. 

Offline broken1

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 09:50:00 PM »

Like this?
[/quote]

Yep those are the exact same brushes I use in a small 12v drill, a pistol cleaning rod comes in handy as well. I have an assortment of sizes for various holes & recently went through a few of them rebuilding a set of brakes. With the brass brushes you can use them numerous times if your careful but it don't take much to flatten them out so grab a couple extra's... Using any of the methods the great fella's here have mentioned it'll come off lickity split.

Offline dp250r

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 09:48:36 AM »
When I had to pull the flywheel off one of my 85 250rs I had a little trouble getting the puller to thread in so used my air impact. I just hit it a little at a time .

Offline atvmxr

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2022, 03:21:47 PM »

Like this?

Yep those are the exact same brushes I use in a small 12v drill, a pistol cleaning rod comes in handy as well. I have an assortment of sizes for various holes & recently went through a few of them rebuilding a set of brakes. With the brass brushes you can use them numerous times if your careful but it don't take much to flatten them out so grab a couple extra's... Using any of the methods the great fella's here have mentioned it'll come off lickity split.
[/quote]

That pos instantly started untwisting and shedding all the brass fibers all over

Puller wouldn’t fit.  Kept fn with the threaded puller, picks, liquid wrench, scour pads, etc and got it off

Offline Hawaiiysr

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2022, 08:41:55 PM »
Winnnnnnnn!!!!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38