TRX250r.org

Author Topic: Just run it?  (Read 1119 times)

Online bushwesl

Just run it?
« on: May 28, 2022, 10:47:28 AM »
I've been working on an XC build over the past year.  Unfortunately, I've had many setbacks that have prevented me from getting it finished ahead of the D14 XC racing season that I was planning on.  One of them, sadly, was the passing of Rob Selvy (RIP, brother).  I sent Rob an ESR CEO 363 PV cylinder kit directly from ESR back in November that he was going to work his magic on - PV block off, epoxy/port, etc. Long story short, the cylinder kit is long gone from the Selvy's, assumed mistakenly taken/stolen, but they're making it right with me.  Rob's sister, Cyndi, has been amazing to work with through everything as well, especially making time to address Rob's many customers while also grieving their loss.

That said, I've since acquired another new ESR CEO 363 PV cylinder kit.  I have a completely redone bottom end, thanks to DBC Racing, that I'm itching to put it on.

My question is, should I spend the extra time to find someone else to port it, possibly perform the same type of work as what Rob was going to do (PV block off, port, etc.)?  Or should I just run it as it is with Eddie's porting and PV? 

If going the improved porting route, my concern is that I don't know who would do it or how long it would take to have it done.  Based on everything that I'm hearing, builders are either no longer taking on any new work or are months and months out. If I were to just run it, I hear that Eddie's standard porting leaves more to be desired and the PV can be problematic.

Note that I already have a big bore Selvy pipe that I will be using, so I only need/want improved porting and potentially a PV block off.

I'm still waiting on shocks and a swing arm to finish this build, but they should be available somewhat soon. I really, really want to finish this build and ride it this year, if at all possible.

Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions are welcomed.

Wes

Offline Jordanscott888

Re: Just run it?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 02:36:51 PM »
Personally, I would send it out and have it set up. Not that Eddie’s porting is BAD, but it does leave a lot on the table. I feel like if you rush to get it together you’re gonna wish you hadn’t and you’ll be pulling it apart again to send the cylinder out anyway.

My first choice would always be Jerry Hall or Pete at Hybrid Engineering. Not sure how far out they are but I think it will be worth the wait either way.

I will also note though, whoever ports your cylinder is going to want you to run specific components along with it. So I wouldn’t be hell bent on running the Selvy pipe. If you can find someone that can work with the selvy pipe then great. But you’re wasting your time if you won’t run the pipe or the other components that the builder suggests to go with their porting. Everything has to work together.

Offline The norm

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 08:49:03 PM »
I highly recommend Pete. He can and will make the porting work with the pipe you. I only let Pete port my cylinders.
Loren
1986 Trx250r-- Hybrid Engineering 391(Good bye super 310)
1986 Trx250r-- Hybrid Engineering  ported stock 86 cylinder
1986 Trx250r-- craigslist engine with unknown ported 89 cylinder.
1985 Atc250r-- Needs a lot of work (Super 310's new home)

Online croat1

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 06:11:30 AM »
Wes, I’d wait.  Start next years racing season with your “ultimate” set up.  Concentrate the rest of the this year on racing since you’ve never raced before. 

Joe

Offline evaneyeball

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 11:59:00 PM »
I would wait also. And as for porting. I've heard alot of good about pete at hybrid but have never had any experience with him. I personally would recommend arlan at LED but last I heard was he's atleast a year out. You may be able to call and work something out. But pete may be a better choice due to wait time.
LED built 86 trx 350 CEO
81 ATC250r
Zero finesse and alot of throttle

Online bushwesl

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 08:44:55 PM »
Thank you for everyone’s feedback!

I took everyone’s advice and decided to have the cylinder redone. Last weekend I dropped off my bottom end and cylinder kit at RB Racing to assess/improve the porting and get everything setup properly. 

After reaching out to a few builders, I was happy to hear that Bob was still doing this type of work. He’s done a few cylinders for me over the years and they’ve always ran really strong. Not to mention, he’s local to MI, which makes everything much more convenient to hand deliver/pickup and not have to have any of the risks of shipping across the country. I hope to have everything back in the next 4-6 weeks😄

Here’s the cylinder kit after DBC Racing’s vapor blasting and black anodizing work👌🏻

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38