TRX250r.org

Author Topic: 450 swingarm conversion  (Read 643 times)

Offline DOUGLAS

450 swingarm conversion
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:13:42 AM »
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81[/ATTACH]I used an 06 swing arm with 06 rear linkage. there is 3 mounting holes for the rear linkage. The 2 holes on the ends of the linkage is the only ones that are to be used. On the linkage peice there 2 holes that are closer together. That end of the linkage is what You want to articulate towards the rear of the swingarm . You have to put this peice in this way. Use the r dog bone front linkage. eliminate the mounting hole in the mid section. With the 450 linkage you will need to press out 1 bearing only the one that will mount to the dog bone and shock and use the r bearing sleave and 250r bolt. I modified all my bolts except rear with grease fittings. On the rear mount 06 swing arm to linkage use stock 06 bearing and bolt.The shock the dog bone and the fornt of the 450 linkage will all bolt togther in the same spot forget there is even a middle hole you do not even use it. Note you will have to make and apply spacers in some ob the connecting areas i have not done this yet. As you can see i am still into the build. Your ride hight will be 5/8 on an inch lower. your swing arm will have full travel. To get this calculated i had my OEM swing arm on the bike. I measured in multiple spots and do***ented various measurements. Includeing shock angle and pitch. Measured all componets involved. With a rider on the seat i remeasured every possable angle. Including shock angle and pitch as well as swing arm travel. I then applied the 450 swing arm with all componets. This was no easy task. I walked away from this time and again. There was always something that did not add up. Testing over asnd over This was the best configeration i came up with. When i felt that this was correct i bolted it together. And it feals right. Now The shock is at a different angle and the ride height is 5/8 inch lower. Not throughing anybody under the bus. I spoke with a few reputable shock rebuilders. 1 st response (why thats nonsense there are so many aftermarket parts why would you even swap out a proven winner). 2 nd response ( since you have changed the angle of the shock there is no way you will get that bike to performe as it was intended to you are wasting your time). 3 rd response ( realy thats an inovating way to look at that give me all your specs send in your shocks if you set it up and it needs tweaking its not a problem just minimal charge). The pictures i have posted in my opinion the correct configeration. This is a mock up to show how i assembled components. Note all of my bearings are not installed. I had just placed bolts in to hold pieces together. All of these components have been polished by Jet Polishing 978 227 8014. My shock is being revalved by B-line Control. 651 257 0828 My shock is OEM all componets polished and shock tube was chromed all spanner nuts were chromed. Classic Components. Look these venders up awesome to work with. Tell them Douglas sent you.
Now if any one comes up with a better configeration keep me in the loop

Attachment 16794Attachment 16795Attachment 16796Attachment 16797
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:15:35 PM by DOUGLAS »
LED 363 87 stock frame

Offline bnau267

450 swingarm conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »
Just curious of anyone else has tried this setup or come up with one of their own that's working well for them.  There are some amazing trx450 linkage/swing arm setups out there not to mention scores of skid plate options.